The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Postby KCStudly » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:26 am

Thanks, Sharon, for the positive outlook. It is feeling like I am being drawn farther and farther away from this project, but I promise I will get back to it relatively soon.

The Jeep keeps calling me to take care of it. I've been driving it regularly since the rear axle swap, doing the break-in and keeping an eye on things to make sure everything is copacetic (...don't tell the wife, but it is actually fun to drive now! Okay, I already told her... and she wants it back...). And while I have been threatening to put new speakers in the Ford (driver's front is blown), I now realize that the Jeep's speakers are in far worse shape, almost to the point of being "unlistenable" (not a real word). So I have been researching upgrade options. Gotta have tunes for the road trip, doncha' know. Fortunately, the Jeep's are relatively easy to swap out. Nothing crazy planned, just some decent quality 5.25 2-ways for the dash and sport bar pods, and a better quality small 6.75 sized sub driven from the OEM amp in the center console, with a bit of polyfil backing each, all running off the factory head unit. It's hard enough as it is in the Jeep to enjoy good sound, what with all of the road noise... they are fairly crude vehicles with very little sound deadening, and more tire and wind noise than most passenger cars, so with compromised speakers it really falls down fast.

There's a hole in the bucket dear Liza.
Last edited by KCStudly on Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby lfhoward » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:58 pm

KC, it's been a while since I checked your thread, so I am now getting caught up. So sorry to hear about your shed! Looks like you have another building project now, just in case you were getting bored with the trailer and the Jeep. (Do we need a new Shed Thread?) I'm glad at least that you were able to locate your cell phone. One problem solved.

I'm glad to hear the Jeep is fun to drive with the regear. Mine came with 29 inch tires and I'm running 31's with a 4 inch lift, and I can definitely feel a reduction in power and mpg. It's right on the edge of whether regearing would be necessary. It certainly wouldn't be optional if I went up to 32's. I've researched regearing to 4.10's or 4.56's but the funds are just not there to make it happen. I bet that would put some more zip in its step, though.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:31 pm

Yeah, it's hard to pull the trigger, but I figure it would have paid for itself in improved gas mileage if I had just done it years ago! Plus, you really notice what you were missing once you have it back!

We towed the boat up to Sebago Lake Maine one year and, while it did it, it was far from optimum, especially with the manual trans (i.e. no torque converter slippage). So for the camper and much larger mountains I'll be so much happier having proper gearing.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:25 pm

To all of my internet camper friends and family, have a merry Christmas and a happy new year. May all of your travels and traditions bring you joy and good cheer.

Peace on earth and good will to all. :worship:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:19 pm

Thank you. Merry Christmas to you and yours too. :thumbsup:
Last edited by ghcoe on Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:02 pm

Thank you and Merry Christmas and Happy new year to you too.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Merry Christmas to you and yours.......

Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby pchast » Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:32 pm

Happy Holidays One and All. :thumbsup:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Sheddie » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:37 pm

Hi Kc,
Wishing you and Yvette a belated but very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2017 from down here in New Zealand. This also extends to all the other readers on the site. This last year has been rather busy and I have not had much time to look in on the forum. The last few days we have been in Auckland visiting the inlaws, so have had time to catch up on what you have been up to. I see the project is progressing, but like me, too many other interuptions keep holding things up. Just keep taking those bites and that elephant will be gone.
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:50 am

The hard drive in my little net pad computer died. Lost all of the text and picture files associated with my build. Does anyone have an easy way to recapture these off the forum, short of going in to each entry on an "edit" and copying the text?

:? :cry: :x

Geek Squad was unable to scan the drive. Bought a new solid state drive and will have to purchase a reboot of windows, since the original came installed. This is incredibly frustrating having to pay for something that I already paid for. I guess the cost of the reboot thumb drive was not included with the cost of the SW, so it makes sense from that perspective, but still frustrating.

I also got an external hard drive and will do better to habitually back up my system.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:41 pm

There are companies that can recover data from hard drives. They can be expensive. Look for hard drive data recovery for a place near you, should be a few.

This may be helpful too. http://lifehacker.com/5982339/diy-data- ... s-belly-up

Good luck.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Sheddie » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:12 pm

:throw PC: Oh c@#p KC, :( that was a real Black Friday occurrence. I hope you can recover it all without too much trouble. When I think of all the detail that you put in to your reports, and then think that this thread is not the only one as there is also your jeep diff thread etc it is mind blowing. :? I hope you can find a way to resolve this without too much trouble, and expence. Good luck with it. :thumbsup:
Sheddie
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby linuxmanxxx » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:39 pm

Number one company is drive savers for data recovery.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:29 pm

...or maybe just get a SATA / IDE to USB conversion cable ... do it yourself ...

KC, don’t feel alone , we spilled coffee in our Mac Mini and it’s taken 3 days to get it working again ... :duh:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jan 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Thanks to all who have wished well for the holidays and offered suggestions and support for computer ills. For the time being I am stuck using Yvette's old mini net pad... which is supper slow... like dial up slow. I promise I will get back into the swing of things soon.

In the meantime, today I used Karl's Fein tool to cut the striker loop out of the Jeep passenger side door striker, allowing me to get the door open, removed the inner door panel and used spray lithium lube on all of the linkage pivot points. The door latch saw seldom use and had bound up. Just cycling it and adding lube got everything working again. Before unbolting the old striker plate (what was left of it) I traced it with black sharpie (on black paint, so unobtrusive) so that I had a reference point to mount the replacement (bought a pair used from a Canadian ebay vendor). That allowed me to get the striker lined up perfectly on the first try with no adjustments needed.

That also allowed me access to replace the passenger side dash mounted speaker, completing that task.

The cold weather probably played a factor, in removing the inner door panel I broke several of the plastic push pins that secure the panel. I want to remove the driver's side panel and lube that door, too, so I figured I would buy extra pins to have some handy. The first parts store I tried only had one package of 2 for $3 and change... what? A simple, small, injection molded part that probably costs $0.02 to produce, sold by the thousands, cost $1.50+ each. I'm in the wrong business!

The sunny morning fooled me and it turned out that I was under dressed for the cold weather.

Anyway, I traipsed around to a couple of parts stores and ended up getting a few more. By the time I had a late lunch it was snowing, and I decided to shuffle on home.

Karl got a deal on an old storage unit from a customer of his and has been bringing truck loads of small treasures home. All kinds of tools and stuff similar to what we would see at the tractor swap. Lots of sanding blocks, hammer and axe handles, taps, screwdrivers, punches, mallets, clevises, chisels, files, canvas working tools (a speedy-stitcher and ticking tools), a backpacker's Sterno stove, a tiny propane bottle (maybe 5 lbs?... looks like a miniature gas grill bottle), counter sinking/chamfering tools, a bunch of old 45 records, soldering guns, box full of hinge hardware, taps, and on and on. He has given me a folding bow saw, tent stakes, one of those wooden stand off scribes, and essentially anything I choose. It is a vast cornucopia of small treasures that he traded a fraction of his labor cost for. Not sure how many more truck loads there are, but it is fun picking thru it, all vintage stuff.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies