The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:08 pm

And I'm pretty sure that's prime Sasquatch territory right there...

And the season was open... :frightened:

T
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:38 pm

lol :lol:
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby jimbo69ny » Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:30 pm

If anyone anyone is interested in going with a fiberglass foamie build here are my videos about how I built mine.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... e98uv4rsCT
jimbo69ny
Teardrop Master

Postby wagondude » Mon Feb 24, 2020 10:14 am

Just checking in on the progress (has it really been 3 years?). Keep plugging away. It's hard to get it done when you have so many different hobbies competing for your time. Progress is progress even when it's slow.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:42 pm

:( We miss you, KC. Chime in and tell us you're okay.
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby capnTelescope » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:14 am

S. Heisley wrote::( We miss you, KC. Chime in and tell us you're okay.

Like Sharon said ...
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby lfhoward » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:34 pm

Still watching the Poet Creek Express, KC. Hope you’re doing well! It’s an amazing build so far.
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:11 am

Uh, speaking of , has anybody heard from KC lately ??? Gosh, he was here all the time , and so “close” to finishing ( 8 years invested , and a resource for us too ) … Hope he’s OK !!! :NC
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rjgimp » Mon Mar 02, 2020 2:14 am

He hasn't posted since August. :o
-Rob

I hope to make it to a Procrastinators Anonymous meeting someday...
just as soon as the steering committee gets around to scheduling one!
rjgimp
500 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:04 am

:o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:59 pm

:thinking: Sounds like he's spending a lot of his free time in pool halls and other disreputable places. :thumbsup: :roll:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Wolffarmer » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:50 am

capnTelescope wrote::thinking: Sounds like he's spending a lot of his free time in pool halls and other disreputable places. :thumbsup: :roll:

Sniffing all the joints in town for, Panama Red
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:13 pm

So sorry to let you all down.

I have had a career change for the better... much better, actually... doing full time design work for a major US defense contractor. Kind of going back to my roots, only better. They found me on my LinkedIn page and head hunted me away from my pharmaceutical gig. Didn't blink at my salary request (which was an order of magnitude more than previously... should have asked for more) and snapped me up. New hours are 8 to 5, and tho not any farther from mecca... in fact probably closer... given the fact that I now dress business casual and don't get "soiled" in my daily routine, makes it harder to be ready for "shop work" after "desk work". Just don't have the same time in the evenings that I had before, and can't use the resources at "work" that I used to have.

No more easy access to the fabrication, welding, sheet metal and machine shops, though that could change a little as I move forward (new gig has limited fabrication opportunities, but that could develop some in the future... there is a mill and basic fab shop...) but the lines between "senior designer" and grunt aren't as easily crossed. And due to the sensitive nature of the work we do, I can't use the design software at my desk for personal use anymore.

To be honest, I'm doing much better career wise, catching up for lost investment time, but suffering on the camper front. Even in the few short months at the new job, I have been lauded and informed that I am likely to advance very soon, so... it can't be bad. Better than slaving away and killing my knees and back at the old "factory".

If you look back at my earlier posts you will see that one of my motivations for the build was staying off of the couch and not falling into the drinking pit falls. I have to admit that the pool habit and new work hours aren't helping toward that cause. But with the change in weather (warmer), and forced decline in ability to play pool out (Covid thing), I have a renewed enthusiasm for working on the camper.

Being in the defense industry (submarines again now), I am still at work, so am not laid off, but the hours of operation aren't helping the camper cause.

Karl and his helper have both had cold/flu symptoms... and are now currently working on a NYC construction project... at the botanical gardens... so I am still staying away from mecca.

The time off from the camper has given me time to consider that my attempts to fill the fiberglass weave using ever more thickened epoxy (in the vertical orientation) may have simply been the wrong approach. Now that I have flipped the camper on it's side I am thinking that thinner slurries may be better at self leveling. (I have also been absorbing some input from the Street Bandito 240Z Carbon Fiber project, where he doesn't use any thickeners. (Beware that the videos are not necessarily high production value, and have some immature content, but it is a serious complicated technological project, none the less. Race car thing.)

In the meantime Karl helped me install a take-down joint in the heralded 17 oz house cue that helped us get to Vegas, although with mixed results... and I want to work on finishing that more. Did I say that we got to 65th level out of 720 qualifiers?

In fact, I'm no longer on that team... the one that went to Vegas... and have started my own 8-ball team in the same division. We were actually doing quite well until the Covid thing put a temporary halt to play.

I'm also on a 9-ball team, and while I was personally doing okay, the team has been consistently ranked low.

The new Jeep has been working out super well, but the Ford is showing it's age. The old black Jeep is wallowing behind Karl's shed and I owe a deep gratitude to him for allowing me to fester in my indecisiveness over what to do about that. Anyone want a high mileage Jeep with great parts, but a few issues?

Anyway, I still consider you all as my friends and hope to be closer to you again in the near future.

Peace out.

KC
Last edited by KCStudly on Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Atomic77 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:21 pm

Hey Brotherman. Good to hear from you. I was starting to get worried! Congratulations on the new job, sounds like a good gig. All the best.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Michael

"The Strength is in the Sum of the Parts..."

The Astroliner

Follow The Astroliner Blog Here!

Check out our YouTube video
Atomic77
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:24 pm

Hi KC, glad to see you are back here and congrats on your new place of work. I just want to let you know how I did fairing on my fiberglass build. I used polyester body filler and just filled everything and then sanded with orbital and long board as needed. To make body filler a little easier to work with I added clear polyester resin to the filler to make it thinner and it worked on larger surfaces spreading. One thing I did not expect with a polyester body filler is how much pin holes I got and had to go back and fill them with a glazing putty, but it wasn't too bad, just be aware.
Maybe with epoxy filling it will be different, but epoxy is not as easy to sand as polyester filler, that one I know.
Good luck and take care. Majority of people at my work are working remotely last two weeks..
OP827
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies