The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: The Poet Creek Express - Foamie Hybrid

Postby KCStudly » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:35 pm

Thx capn!
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby noseoil » Wed Nov 18, 2020 7:55 am

Hi KC, looks like you're back on track to having a good time. Glad you were able to resume activities & get out. It's been an interesting year so far, hasn't it?
Build log: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=60248
The time you spend planning is more important than the time you spend building.........

noseoil
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:09 am

"Interesting" probably wouldn't be the word I'd choose, but, yeah, I get your point!

Thanks for staying in touch, noseoil!
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:23 pm

So last Saturday (3-13-21) I actually worked on the camper. Huzzah!

After reading back thru the whole thread looking for any information that might explain why I was getting springy blisters on the street side wall... after having sat and cured for a very long time... I decided to take the next exploratory step.

Yes I had seen some smallish areas where it looked like the glass hadn't fully adhered to the foam/under coats, but those hadn't puffed up. These "new" areas were puffed out and were springy (like a pressurized balloon) when palpitated. Unlike the previous experience where the areas felt "hollow" or made a ticking sound when tapped. I was trepidatious that I would find GS that had continued to expand, or some sort of chemical out gassing, to the point (and the incessant bodywork) that I just stopped wanting to work on the camper. It was so discouraging. Worse the thought that this might continue to occur all over the camper throughout it's life span.

However, I recently mentioned TPCE to a young enthusiastic designer in my cubical cluster at work. He skim read the whole thread and has been really encouraging me to get back on and finish the build. This and the weather turning to spring encouraged me to at least investigate the blisters.

So last Saturday, before going on business travel for 9 days, I went ahead and drilled some exploratory holes in the middle of and around the perimeter of the 3 obvious blisters. I started to do this the same way I had before, by hand just twisting the syringe tip sized drill bit by hand between my thumb and index finger. Maybe the fiberglass has hardened significantly, but more likely my hands have gone soft, to wit I quickly developed a blister on the pad of my index finger (desk job... meh). Anyway, that bought me some time on the battery charger for the cordless drill and I switched to power drilling with the little wooden block depth stop (so as not to accidentally drill through the inside wall panel).

What I found was just a positive pressure air pocket (no actual evidence of pressure, so I suppose it could have been a heat/shrink issue between dissimilar materials, but no real way to tell for sure). Once deflated I could easily push the blister down flat to the foam and it would puff air out of the holes. Karl's good recommendation was to hand (literally by hand) drill down thru the foam at angles to the back side of the wall panel, making shafts for pillars of epoxy to tie the outer surface glass to the inner wood panels, preventing any future lifting.

To make sure that I had good epoxy coverage I injected thru the center hole until epoxy started to ooze out of the perimeter holes. After it oozed out of a couple of holes I wiped that area and put a piece of masking tape over the filled holes, then proceeded until it oozed out of all of the holes. The masking tape didn't stick very well to the epoxy wet surfaces, but it was enough to get the job done.

Now I had a puffy blister full of epoxy, but I wanted it to lay flat, so I grabbed a piece of 1x4 (or 6?) that had a good size... maybe 1 inch diameter hole in it... (I think it was the test piece I used to tool up for drilling the cam lock hole in the front cabinet door frame). This I covered the face and ID of the hole with packing tape, as a release agent, centered the hole over the center hole in the blister, covering all of the other holes, and weighed it down with a roll of welding wire (remember that the cabin is laying on its curb side with the street side up). That allowed all of the excess epoxy to ooze back up out of the center hole, and for the blister to lay down flat again. Then I removed the holey board and replaced it with a solid board (also masked with packing tape... the one I had used for gluing in much of the side wall blocking), and put the weight back on for curing.

Man I felt rusty. Like a fish out of water. The battery in my watch that I use for timing mix times had died, so I had to count to two minutes. Hadn't prepared the set up very well before starting to mix. My hardener had turned red in the can; which West System previously recommended heating in a bain marie to restore, but now say don't worry about it, just use it... so I was a little worried that the fast mix hadn't started to kick or even warm up at all, but then again it was still fairly cool ambient temperature wise.

I had about 3/8 inch leftover in the cup and had no thought what to do with it because I hadn't prepped to fill the other areas. Just plain inefficient. I've lost a great deal of my learning curve and muscle memory.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see if it actually kicked off... :worship: ...or if it is a complete disaster of a wet mess. :cry: :? :(

Today's highs were in the middle 60's F, so itching to get back this weekend and see what happened. :thumbsup:
Last edited by KCStudly on Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:44 pm

:thumbsup: Hopefully it worked well so you can get along with the rest of the build and get to Poet Creek!

Good luck! :beer: (root beer)
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lfhoward » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:27 am

Hi KC!!

Sounds like a good bit of progress was made. Sometimes drilling that first hole is harder than hours of work once you get going. Nice work getting back into the project.

Lauren
My off-road camper build on an M116A3 military chassis:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62581
Tow vehicle: 2008 Jeep Liberty with a 4 inch lift.
lfhoward
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby OP827 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 8:28 am

Hi KC, all will be fine if proportions of epoxy mix are somewhat close to be correct. Same as you I also had a couple blisters where Great Stuff foam has decided to continue its expanding after a week or more, so I drilled, injected epoxy and pressed it down with a packing tape covered flat piece and it all worked good in the end. Just do what you need to do.
Cheers,
Oleg
OP827
Donating Member

Postby capnTelescope » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:52 pm

:P YAY! KC's back! :P
Walk the Winds is in July, and it's most the way to Poet Creek. Or vice versa, I forget. And tony.latham says Poet Creek is still there.
Git 'er done and go teardropping! :thumbsup:
:applause:
I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

Brad
ImageImageImage

Building the Bed & Breakfast
capnTelescope
Lifetime member

Postby Wolfgang92025 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:49 pm

Good to hear you decided to try to get back at it ........... :applause: 8) :beer:
Wolfgang

Wolfgang92025
Lifetime member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:49 am

KC:

We're just back from our detail at Salmon Mountain Lookout scanning for fires. (We caught one...)

Here's a sunrise you woulda seen from Poet Creek. (Nothing like an 0500 pee break for getting an old fart up to see this stuff.)

There are more sunrises scheduled on the calendar and the Magruder Road is in great shape with little traffic.

Poet Creek is alive and well out there.

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:44 pm

Thanks, as always, Tony. Fabulous "laser perfect" pic!

I actually have been wanting to get to mecca for a few weeks now, but... believe it or not, I pulled a muscle in my back breaking an 8-ball rack (yes, I get my whole body and that much power into my breaks!).

I have done a little work that wasn't really picture worthy, and I think I have found the method to cure the FG blister issues, slowly but surely.

Unfortunately I have some more life changes on the horizon that will undoubtedly take up more time, but eventually that will also be a gateway to more consistent teardrop build time.

Stay tuned to this channel!
Last edited by KCStudly on Tue Sep 14, 2021 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby tony.latham » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:20 pm

Stay tuned to this channel!

:thumbsup:

Tony
tony.latham
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:55 am

Hi KC,
It’s good to hear from you. Looking forward to an update.
Take care,
Tom

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Aug 11, 2021 12:07 pm

Thanks, Tom. I'm trying to get back on it.

Thought I read somewhere that you sold the SB (maybe, IIRC, to 2bits). Did you ever start on camper next? I seem to recall you were considering a standy, breadloaf, canned ham or cargo conversion.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:45 pm

Hi KC,

I gave my teardrop to a good friend. My interim camping solution is a used travel trailer. It’s been nice - I’ve made several upgrades - but it is a beast to tow. I would like to build a smaller self-contained trailer, and had planned to start it last July when I retired, but life events have thrown off that schedule.

I haven’t given up my dream yet. Please keep pursuing yours.

Take care, Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies