Foamie aerodynamics.

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamie aerodynamics.

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:11 pm

LD, that would surely work over a former and stringer frame like the FoamStream ... Good idea !!! :thumbsup: 8)
...and that brings up the idea of building an aerodynamic structure , a framework like an old airplane/blimp , covering it with canvas on the outside, and then spraying (or have sprayed professionally for a better job )the inside with professional spray foam (Not great stuff) ...which would give not only the insulation properties , but considerably stiffen and unify the whole structure, while still giving that vintage canvas over rib “look” ... :thinking: 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:32 am

GPW wrote:just a rough sketch ... Certainly not an Easy build ... but possible ... :thinking:

Again.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: You tease us with the most awesome designs. Very retro, very cool. Reminds me of design exercises that car stylists do.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby mezmo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:13 am

Use foam cove and beaded planks or strips over
an interior frame like the Foamstream's as well as
prestructured interior fittings/cupboards/cabinets.

But you'd then have to build this tow vehicle:
[Pic file too big to copy pic to here.]

One of Norman Bel Geddes's teardrop cars he designed in the 1930s streamline era.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:BelGeddesCar.jpg

One book of his:
https://archive.org/details/horizons00geddrich
pp 44-63

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:52 am

Advanced aerodynamics comes with a cost ... more complicated to build ... That shape “could” (possibly) be reduced from a circular cross section to an octagonal cross section, Easier to build and almost as effective... drag wise ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Xanthoman » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:57 pm

I found this thread while looking up to see if anyone had actually built what I am planning. The rough sketch by GPW is almost exactly what mine looked like! (Save I have the back stay wide and round down more similar to a typical hatch setup rather than tip into a cone tail...). I think I have discovered a method of manufacturing that is easy and effective. I plan on making my ribs with 1/8" ply arc about 1" wide and have it 'T' to the outside of the rib that has a 1.5" wide strip of ply. I then will make it like a cedar strip canoe, but with 1/8" ply; not even bothering to edge glue it, just stapling it to the ribs. (I have a pneumatic stapler...) Once the exterior is formed I will cut out the doors and windows and make their hatch trims and install them. Then have a company spray CCSPF (closed-cell spray polyurethane foam) on the inside about 1.5" deep. I will also have him spray a few of the plywood panels stand alone for my future countertops and cabinets (Just 1/2 thick foam with 1/8" on either side). The inside will have a few pex pipes run for electrical chases prior to the spraying. Finishing the interior was the hard part to figure out, but I think I solved the problem. I will sand it with my 7" sander/polisher and fair it out smooth with 80grit paper. Should go pretty quick; I have a good steady hand with that sander. Then I will mix 1:3 parts Elmer glue:water and take torn pieces of heavy duty rosin paper and paste it over the walls for the finish. I plan to then take a road atlas and cut it up and do the same for the wall paper and make it a living collage of our adventures with pushpins and little pictures all mod-podged to the walls. I may polyurethane it, but if I am going to add on to it over time I may just leave it with Elmer's glue.

The hard kicker I am trying to solve now is the convex window I want on the front top. I want to do an argon filled polycarbonate/acrylic blend triple pane window (acrylic/polycarbonate/acrylic) about 4 foot in diameter in the top front area so we can see the stars at night. I am contemplating the ability to form them into a convex shape through heat guns and mold forms...I think I have solved all the other issues... (Vertical side hatch seals, hatch seals, constructability, trailer attachment, location of everything, size, etc.) Here is a quick Solidworks picture of my rib system. I will post my graph paper drawings soon. I have done further Solidworks depictions on it, but there is an error in the lofting of the surface and I don't have the time to solve it now, so you will just have to imagine that image yourself.
gallery/image.php?album_id=4460&image_id=145106
gallery/image.php?album_id=4460&image_id=145381
Xanthoman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:36 am

Can’t wait to see what you come up with !!! Good luck !!! :thumbsup: 8) :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:58 am

L.D. wrote:what about cuttin the foam into stripes, like lath. then you would be working with a small area and molding a rounded shape should be much easyer.

That is the basicidea of how I build my foam kayak, lots of foam ribs, glued into a stack, then shaped to a smooth curve. It is incredibly strong, and very easy, just messy
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:31 am

How about cutting Foam ‘Ribs’ , stacking/gluing them together and just carving it smooth ... Messy , yes, but effective ( FoamStream Nose ) :thinking:
Attachments
Stack and carve .png
Stack and carve .png (73.58 KiB) Viewed 1123 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:49 am

Just some pics to stimulate the imagination ...
Attachments
inside .jpg
inside .jpg (60.42 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
monocoque-design.gif
monocoque-design.gif (13.4 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
Construction Types.gif
Construction Types.gif (35.35 KiB) Viewed 1122 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:51 am

one more ...
Attachments
F&S inside .jpg
F&S inside .jpg (592.55 KiB) Viewed 1117 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Xanthoman » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:16 am

It’s almost two years to the day of talking about this but it is about to come to fruition!!! I graduated school and am now ready to embark on my build. I am moving forward with the narrow ribbing forms with a strip built contour being spray foamed for structure and insulation. I have chosen to do bare minimum ribbing using just hot glue racks to get the shape together and then let the foam do its job. I have solved, I believe, most issues of windows and other fenestrations and believe most facets of manufacturing. Just the dirt within the trenches remains to be found so I am excited to turn some soil! I am unemployed so will be working on it full time to crank it out. My goal is to start Nov. 1 and be campable by Thanksgiving!! Build journal to start soon, I will post a link when I do. (And I will hopefully learn to post pictures on here effectively...) Thanks for all the ideas and inspirations I have poured through over the years...
Xanthoman
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:21 am

Xan , Cool !!! Good luck !!! 

Now if someone had a HUGE 3D printer that printed with spray foam ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies