Foamie Design ... Mike’s Weekender

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Foamie Design ... Mike’s Weekender

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:27 am

The Weekender is sure a nice design , especially for making a Foamie ... :o Nice straight lines , no kerfing or bending , very aerodynamic ... and it can be modified to suit your needs and taste... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49470

And naturally here’s my “take” on it ... the rounded foam front end being easy to do , and offers a bit more aerodynamics along with the rear structure (aero fins) which theoretically should reduce drag , and provide a slight overhang to keep the weather out , should you build a Galley, or cooking storage area in the back ... :thinking: 89596
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Foamie Design ... Mike’s Weekender

Postby mikeschn » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:40 am

So why did you make the front end round? Now you are back to kerfing!

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:04 am

Mike, Apologies !!! :oops: That was just an alternative , presenting a smoother flow to the “relative winds” ... The pointed nose design , which can be rounded a bit using foam is almost equally efficient as far as airflow...
Bending , maybe not ... :o what about just gluing on an extra layer of 2” and “shape" the roundness in ( and you’d still have the thin ply “nose roof skin" inside to brace the nose area if desired ) ... Probably just as messy as kerfing , maybe requiring more skill, and as yet nobody’s tried heat bending , which really works well ... Several ways of going about it ... really unnecessary as the Original design is Excellent in every way.. :thumbsup: :applause: 8) Easy to make a Foamie !!! I used the basis of it for my Foamie , and am Most Happy with it , although it could be a bit WIDER !!! :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jerry & Molly » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:34 am

I've been studying the design you came up and was wondering if being able to open the whole backend (aero fins and all) wouldn't give you better access to the kitchen area? :thinking: The weight would be almost nothing and the fins would be out of the way during lunchtime :beer: :beer: :beer: :beer: . Knowing myself I would find a way to stumble into them :beer: :beer: :beer: :cry: .
Jerry & Molly
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:43 am

Good Idea !! The only thing with hinging on the roof is you lose the overhang protection from water :o .. You could make the fins fold out (hinged )to be out of the way , or a windbreak when needed ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:47 am

i've been thinking about having my back wall just hinged on so i can open it up. why could it not be hinged under an overhang?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:02 pm

Glenn,

Now you are going to be famous for... FINS that swing out of the way!!! :thinking: :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:21 am

Mike , all the reading indicates it does reduce Drag ... Maybe better on High Speed TDs ... :thinking: You know , the ones that pass you like you’re standing still when you’re doing the speed limit ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby chezrad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:35 am

Could just throw some airtabs on it.

http://www.buyairtab.com/shop/individua ... te-airtab/
chezrad
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:53 am

That’s a good idea too ... every little bit helps , right ? :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby tinksdad » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:11 am

Don't you guys sleep? My computer says you're posting at 3 in the morning. I thought only us "old farts" were up that time of the night.

As far as the fins..... would be a good place to mount some bullet style tail lights.... ala 60's Cadillac. 8)
tinksdad
500 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:52 am

Time must be off , I swear I didn’t get up before 04:00 ... :o :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Hartse25 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 10:06 pm

This thread is kind of old, so I hope you guys will still see this. I've been doing s lot of research and I am definitely leaning toward the foam side. I've drawn up some plans, using the Ben Roy plans as my starting point, but I really like these plans. I like the idea of not having to make any kerfs. My trailer is 5 x 8. How do I join 2 pieces to make my room piece wide enough? Can I just glue 2 pieces together? Would it be better to glue the pieces in the middle, or off to one side or the other?

Thanks,
Erin
Hartse25
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ghcoe » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:13 pm

You can just glue two pieces together or how ever more you need. I like the weekender and similar grasshopper designs too. Nearly made a grasshopper, but then decided I needed to keep my length down to 8 feet for my TV and simplicity. Here are some pictures of a original grasshopper. Pretty cool little trailers. http://www.outbackteardrop.com/grasshopper.html
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hartse25 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:42 pm

Ooooh, I really like the look of those grasshoppers. I looked at my traile again and it is 5x10, not 5x8. If I built with just foam, even if I built it 5 or 6 feet tall, it should still be light enough to tow easily, shouldn't it? I don't have a toe vehicle yet, my lease is up on my little car this spring and I am looking at a little suv or crossover type vehicle. Most have a tow rating of 1500-2000 pounds. I am going to work up some plans and see what I can come up with.
Hartse25
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Foamies