ideas from RC plane nut

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

ideas from RC plane nut

Postby Dudley » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:39 am

Just came across this forum on foamies, I have been building foamies for years now but they fly! The RC plane guys have been working with foam as core material for wings for 30 years now and recently the use of foam for entire planes has exploded as well as the covering and painting of it.

We are a cheap bunch so have developed some ideas for covering and adding strength to the foam. Maybe some of our ideas may transfer over to building these foamies and some of your ideas may work on ours.

Some of the stuff we use is the same , TBII , lightweight spackle , epoxy glues and resins. We also face the same problems of stuff eating our foam!

One of the things we use that I didn't see here was Water Based polyurathane(stuff for doing hardwood floors) . We have been using it like fiberglass resin and have had great results. It dries very hard and goes on very smooth . It has been used with various coverings ranging from very light fiberglass(1/2-2 oz fg cloth) , unused newsprint , craft paper, silkspan tissue. I know that you guys are probably laughing now about using stuff like paper and tissue on your creations but its amazing how much its adds to the foam. 2 layers of craft paper will make the stuff damn near bullet proof. It can then be painted with latex or other paints.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1552848
Dudley
Teardrop Inspector

Re: ideas from RC plane nut

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:20 am

Welcome, Dudley !!
There's loads of great info here so kick your shoes off and jump right in. Unfortunately, a lot of that great info is in an unreasonably long thread that tends to veer 'a little' off track sometimes. Still, most questions people have had have been answered there, so it's probably a good start.
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39373

There's a thread on hot wire cutting you'll probably like as well
viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39373

We have our own resident foamie R/C plane nut who should be along shortly...GPW's gonna be ALL OVER this one...
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Dudley » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:02 am

I bow to the master :D
GPW is well known on RCgroups and I have built some of his designs over the years and have had some discussions with him on some of my stuff and mods to other designs. BTW my rcgroups name is Dudley as well.
Dudley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Dudley » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:12 am

Not building a teardrop at this time but a friend might be. I have been redoing a 1976 Ventura fiberglass trailer so no time for another build :( . http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f56/new-look-for-and-old-ventura-46974.html
Dudley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby atahoekid » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:31 am

HMMMM, even more possibilities for an outside coat. water based poly over lightweight fiberglass. Time for a sample trial...Thanks and welcome to the group
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:50 am

Dudley , glad to see you here !!! :thumbsup: 8) We have better Smileys too !! :beer: You should have a distinct advantage having prior knowledge and experience with foam ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Dudley » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:22 pm

Sorry didn't recognize you without your cube :D These foam teardrops would make a great plane hauler, now if I just had the room. If i move the wifes car out of the garage again this year I will be dead!
Dudley
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:30 pm

D, I’m thinking Foamie plane hauler and place to stay at those Fly-In’s right on the front line , so you don’t miss any of the action .... saves Hotel expenses too ... :thinking:

I actually built most of mine out in the backyard ... nothing to Rot really ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:13 pm

Dudley, I just quoted you over in our Brown Paper Floor topic, here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=49572&p=927553#p927553

Thanks for your input. Every bit of knowledge we gain is shared and put to good use! :thumbsup:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby PcHistorian » Sun May 27, 2012 8:31 pm

can you tell me about servos, and using them on a 12v system for opening louvers on vents for automatic cooling systems. (with a common thermostat, and 12v fan) can they open full end to end instead of part ways? what's their strength and cost?
Elf Cottage

Build Documentary
https://sites.google.com/site/pchistorian/home/hobby/camping/elf-build
Build Forum
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=48462
Build Album
http://www.tnttt.com/gallery/album.php?album_id=42

progress is progress. (don't look a gift "progress" in the mouth.)
PcHistorian
The 300 Club

Return to Foamies