Pico Light Foam and fiberglass

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pico Light Foam and fiberglass

Postby djoyner » Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:03 am

aksnowryder wrote:Yep... my floor was pretty close to 3x6. I made it to the Pico-Lite plans here except I narrowed it down from 4' to 3' wide. Inside I was 32" wide.

Thanks, I just found the Pico-Lite plans. I think I'm gong to use those plans with on a 40" x 48" HF trailer (with some overhang on each end). Since I have absolutely no exerience working with fiberglass, I will opt for maybe 1/8 or 1/4 inch plywood siding (or maybe canvas).

I ride a GL1500 Goldwing and would like to keep the weight under 350 lbs. I'm not as concerned about towing the weight as I am about stopping that weight quickly (or on wet road conditions).
D J
1978 GL1000
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Interstate
2006 VTX 1300S

Visit me at: http://www.dennisjoyner.net
djoyner
Teardrop Builder

Postby aksnowryder » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:15 pm

DJ- I ride a Vulcan 900 and although made from foam and very light in weight, I am sure you won't have any problem towing or stopping. Your bike is heavier and has a bit more power. I don't know what the HF frame weighs, I do know many people have used it for a frame. I will say the frame in the plans is very simple to build and I was able to find the axles on Ebay. Good luck with your project and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
Sir Winston Churchill- Speech 1941 Harrow School
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby djoyner » Fri Sep 14, 2012 6:01 am

aksnowryder wrote:DJ- I ride a Vulcan 900 and although made from foam and very light in weight, I am sure you won't have any problem towing or stopping. Your bike is heavier and has a bit more power. I don't know what the HF frame weighs, I do know many people have used it for a frame. I will say the frame in the plans is very simple to build and I was able to find the axles on Ebay. Good luck with your project and I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do mine.

Thanks for the tip. I'm trying to decide between two 4 x 4 HF trailers; one has 8" wheels and weighs #130, and the other has 12" wheels and weighs #150. The 12" wheels would run cooler and take potholes better, but I don't know if they are worth the extra #20.
D J
1978 GL1000
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Interstate
2006 VTX 1300S

Visit me at: http://www.dennisjoyner.net
djoyner
Teardrop Builder

Postby aksnowryder » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:42 am

The larger tires I think would be worth it. I think you'll get better wear out of them as well as easier on bumps. Just remember they are rated for higher weight then you'll be using so air them down. You'll get much better wear out of them that way.
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
Sir Winston Churchill- Speech 1941 Harrow School
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby ghcoe » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:54 pm

Bump
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies