Pico Light Foam and fiberglass

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pico Light Foam and fiberglass

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:30 pm

I know , I know !!!! Tequila Sunrise !!! :icedtea: School Bus Yellow , fading to Orange at the bottom .... Maximum Visibility !!! :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:39 pm

GPW wrote:I know , I know !!!! Tequila Sunrise !!! :icedtea: School Bus Yellow , fading to Orange at the bottom .... Maximum Visibility !!! :thinking:

Wonder what that would look like on my build?
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 10, 2012 6:45 pm

I dunno’ , but I had a Van painted like that once and people would move out of the way miles ahead ... :lol: True !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bonnie » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:14 pm

:lol: :lol:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:28 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339375304.415176.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339375304.415176.jpg (183.23 KiB) Viewed 1361 times
. Well this is me with the bike I'm towing with. Right now sounds like the GT stripe on white is the favorite. Hmm...
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
Sir Winston Churchill- Speech 1941 Harrow School
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aksnowryder » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:13 am

We finally got a break in the weather and I was able to get out last night and paint the frame. After painting the frame I started setting up to fiberglass and epoxy the bottom to the sidewalls. No kidding, I checked the forecast, looked at the sky, everything indicated good weather. I mixed the epoxy, had the glass all cut and laid out ready to go. And the moment I began to spread the epoxy, rain began to fall. My neighbor, one of my boys and his friend helped me very quickly get a tent up and over the project. Then the rain stopped. Anyway... here is the frame with paint and a pic of the body upside down after the seams from the bottom to the sidewalls where fiberglassed together. The only fiberglassing that is left is the door stop. I hope to do that this weekend. Just need the sun to stay out for a little while longer!

93578 Here is the frame after being painted. I welded on a piece of extruded or expanded metal to the front to hold a can of gas while traveling.
93579 Walls and sides now joined completely! Yay!
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aksnowryder » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:41 am

Been a busy weekend! Rodeo Alaska here this weekend and it was awesome. Fantastic weather, sunny and warm. But if anyone needs a rain maker, I'm your man. Sunday evening, after hitting near 70 degrees and beautiful sunshine all weekend, I got everything ready to do the very last bit of fiberglassing and epoxy work, mixed up the epoxy and started applying... I kid you not within 10 minutes a massive thunderstorm formed. BTW- Thunderstorms are a rare occurrence here in Anchorage. Fortunately, I was prepared and moved back in under the tent.

So... the great news is, the epoxy and fiberglassing is complete! :D :thumbsup: :applause:

93782 I used the plasticore and made a frame around the inside of the door, fiberglassed it with epoxy and glued it into place. I will use a piece of foam weatherstripping to make a good weather seal. Very pleased with how it came out.

93781 Body sitting on completed frame.

Sanding, priming and paint next!
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:33 am

Very NICE !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:48 pm

Thank you..... I'm very happy with it.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby atahoekid » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:15 am

SSSWWWEEEETTTT!!! That's going to be awesome when complete. I love looking at your progress, I'm hoping mine looks like yours in two or three weeks.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:39 am

Thank you...
I did a check last night- kinda backwards I know, but decided to lay down inside it to make sure I fit. The answer.... Yes I fit fine. At 6' my wife, neighbor and everyone else who has seen it in person didn't think I would, but I have plenty of room. Actually I think it will be quite comfortable. Next up- Sanding, priming and then paint
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aksnowryder » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:17 am

Finally decided on a color scheme. Walls will be white, roof will be red with a white GT stripe down the middle and finally the fenders will be red. Primer and paint was purchased last night.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby aksnowryder » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Time and weather have kept me at bay. Made good progress the past couple days though. Gotta love long Alaska summer nights!

Primed with a high build 4:1 Urethane primer- blocked then wet sanded. 94514 94515

Door is fitted and works great. Shuts tight and locks secure. 94516

Shot the color on the top. Everything looks pretty good.... my only disappointment is cotton wood blowing around.

Hope to get the white on the sidewalls tomorrow with stripe on top. All painting will be finished tomorrow. Wiring then mounting to frame. Should be rolling by tomorrow evening. :D
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:37 am

Nice Paint !!! Looking Good .... !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Rosey » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:42 am

Looks great!! :thumbsup: