Pico Light Foam and fiberglass

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Pico Light Foam and fiberglass

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:03 pm

Bon Voyage !!! Have a Great trip !!!! 7K , that’s a Lot of miles in 3 weeks ... :o You’ll definitely have the Foamie longest distance record for sure ... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:22 pm

7622 miles round trip completed in 12 days of riding the motorcycle towing the trailer. Everything went great, the trailer performed flawlessly and was the subject of conversation at every rest area and gas station along the way. The number 1 question... "You can't sleep in there can you?" I'd laugh and assure them that yes I sleep quite well inside it and at 6' tall I could stretch out and fit quite comfortably. One word to note, using the small trailer tires, DO NOT use the recommended 90psi air pressure. Air down to 60psi, the tires will last much longer that way. The trailer does not weigh enough to put any kind of a load on the tires so you will wear out the middle of the tire prematurely.
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
Sir Winston Churchill- Speech 1941 Harrow School
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:28 pm

A new Long Distance Foamie record !!!!! Call Guinness :applause: :awesome: :dancing:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:13 pm

That is AWESSOME!!! :beer: :beer: :wine: :beer: :beer: I hope you have pics to share and I agree with GPW.... There's some kind of record there. Over 7500 miles!! COOL!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Chess » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:48 am

Only just found this thread, what a fantastic build followed by an incredible trip :thumbsup: , as a fellow pico builder, mine is 'traditional' build, interesting that at 6' you are comfortable sleeping inside I added 14'' to my length as my daughter and son in law thought the original size was to small and they are a lot shorter than you.
I'm running 8'' wheels at the moment at 28psi see you are running yours at a lot more.
Saw you used the marine vent, thought about one of these but my local chandlers didn't have the fan in stock when I looked how did it work?
Last edited by Chess on Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chess
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bonnie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:03 am

Wow. A great run! I too am hoping for some :pictures:
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:00 am

The fan worked fantastic. My only real complaint with it is that it does not move enough air to really feel the air movement. (only a problem in hot weather) It does however do what I intended and keep fresh air inside all night. As to my height and the length inside. My nephew is a full 6'4" and he was able to lay down inside as well. His feet did just touch the end. I used a camping pad and then a 1 1/2" memory foam mattress topper for my bed. It was extremely comfortable.

Sorry everyone on the pics. I truly didn't take many pics as most of my time was simply riding to get the miles needed to make the trip in the time I had available.
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bonnie » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:46 am

aksnowryder wrote:The fan worked fantastic. My only real complaint with it is that it does not move enough air to really feel the air movement. (only a problem in hot weather) It does however do what I intended and keep fresh air inside all night. As to my height and the length inside. My nephew is a full 6'4" and he was able to lay down inside as well. His feet did just touch the end. I used a camping pad and then a 1 1/2" memory foam mattress topper for my bed. It was extremely comfortable.

Sorry everyone on the pics. I truly didn't take many pics as most of my time was simply riding to get the miles needed to make the trip in the time I had available.

Tis okay about the :pictures: I am truly glad you had a great time.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:15 pm

Thank you Bonnie.

Ok... so after a great trip and learning much during the building process, I'm already beginning to plan out next years project. I'm thinking an oversized TD to pull behind my truck, one the family can use and enjoy. There are 4 of us and a BIG dog. I'd like to equip it with a nice galley and cabinets. Inside I'd like to have enough room for a bunk bed and a queen size bed. Thinking a simple entertainment system (19-21" flat screen and blue-ray,) but a premium sound system. I will probably use the marine fans again for air movement but instead of just one use 4. Also thinking a small solar panel for charging a battery to run the trailer off of. It will also tie into the trucks charging system. I went yesterday and looked at several motorhomes and big trailers. Wondering, about a pull out on each side for extra room. Does anyone know of a build that has incorporated a slide out? I am still thinking foam, but will probably instead of fiberglass on both sides only use the fiberglass on the exterior and use wood on the interior. I looked at the Pod trailers as well. They are about the right size but I think I'd like the design to be a bit different. I like the traditional outside galley. (My wife, may not however.)

Any thoughts or designs you know of that I can take a look at?

Thanks ya'll
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 26, 2012 6:03 pm

Hmmm? Seems snow' has gotten the Foamie “bug” and is already planning the next one .... :roll: Very addictive , these Foamies ....

Snow’ , best lay all your “stuff" out on the floor , see where you want everything , then just design around that , most anything is possible from a “box” to a big smoothly rounded TD style ... You know we’ll always be here to help ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:44 pm

Not sure how many a casita can sleep but perhaps there are some ideas worth borrowing from them. Good luck! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby djoyner » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:36 pm

aksnowrider, I am a new member here and my first TD project will be one that I will pull behind my Goldwing.

What was the actual size of the floor that you used for your TD (3' x 6') and how tall are the walls?

You and I are the same height, so I'm thinking your TD build would work for me as well.

Thx.
D J
1978 GL1000
1985 GL1200 Interstate
1995 GL1500 Interstate
2006 VTX 1300S

Visit me at: http://www.dennisjoyner.net
djoyner
Teardrop Builder

Postby aksnowryder » Thu Sep 06, 2012 4:51 pm

Yep... my floor was pretty close to 3x6. I made it to the Pico-Lite plans here except I narrowed it down from 4' to 3' wide. Inside I was 32" wide.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby atahoekid » Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:16 pm

Hey aksnowryder,

I remember you used fiberglass and epoxy prior to a high build primer and then paint. How many coats of epoxy did you put on? Did you use the high build primer to hide the weave? Did it hide the weave? About to paint and primer and wondering if I can save myself some extra work by skipping additional coats of epoxy some pieces.

Thanks,
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:53 am

I did 2 layers of epoxy and cloth on the exterior and then on the walls I did 1 layer on the interior. The roof and floor got two layers inside and out. Yes, the primer worked very well to hide the weave. It is also MUCH easier to sand then the epoxy.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies