Pico Light Foam and fiberglass

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Postby aksnowryder » Wed May 09, 2012 11:42 pm

Building the Pico-Light with a few mods. First mod, instead of building with plywood I'm going to be using foam and epoxy with fiberglass. I'm also building it 36" wide instead of 48". Here are some pics of the beginning of the project. I'm going to be towing it with my 2006 Vulcan 900 Classic LT.

Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
Sir Winston Churchill- Speech 1941 Harrow School
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Pico Light Foam and fiberglass

Postby Papi » Wed May 09, 2012 11:59 pm

Very interesting! But won't that trailer be kinda "boingy" going over bumps?
I dream of a day when a chicken can cross the road without having his motives questioned.
Papi
Teardrop Master

Postby aksnowryder » Thu May 10, 2012 2:02 am

I am not sure how it will act yet. I really figure I can always add weight. The torsion axles are rated at 250# each side. So they are about as light as I can get them. I did hook it up to the bike and tried it out up and down our street this evening and yes... it goes boingy, boingy very well especially over the man-hole covers. The Pico was designed to weigh in at 280 and I think with the way I'm building it and its size I may come in closer to 215 add gear and I'm up to about 300#. I don't think with that weight I'll have any problems, but I really don't know. I will keep ya posted though.
Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bonnie » Thu May 10, 2012 5:44 am

Will be watching your build with interest. Where, if I may ask, did you get the axles? I'm looking at them for my build. Did you weld them directly to the frame or are the bolted on?

Thanks!
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Thu May 10, 2012 7:58 am

This will be a great thread to watch!! Lots of pictures please.
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Thu May 10, 2012 11:48 am

Bonnie, the axles I bought off of EBay, I found them on Amazon as well. There is a plate welded to the cross member and the axles are bolted to the plate.

Pics are truly not my best thing but I am really trying. I'm hoping to take some each day I'm on the build. I seem to get so caught up in the task I forget to take them. But I'm trying.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bonnie » Thu May 10, 2012 12:00 pm

aksnowryder wrote:Bonnie, the axles I bought off of EBay, I found them on Amazon as well. There is a plate welded to the cross member and the axles are bolted to the plate.

Pics are truly not my best thing but I am really trying. I'm hoping to take some each day I'm on the build. I seem to get so caught up in the task I forget to take them. But I'm trying.

@

I understand completely. I keep thing, darn, could have taken a picture I'd that. Oh well, when you work alone, some things don't happen. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby angib » Thu May 10, 2012 1:02 pm

That's looking good, Doug - I've been keeping my lip buttoned waiting for you to post pictures!

Please don't forget what I've called the 'body mounts' - the piece of angle on top of each end of the cross-member that carries the load between the frame and body side. This is the one place where connecting a lightweight thin-skin construction to a metal frame needs some care. You could of course just add local fiberglass thickening to the body rather than weld on metal to the frame, though the effect is the same.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby aksnowryder » Thu May 10, 2012 5:15 pm

Thanks Andrew, yep, I have the brackets cut and ready to go as well as the two forward tabs for the floor mount. I am excited about the door as that is going to be the next step for me. I'm going to do the shape as the plans specify but the window is going to be a 18" round window... kinda a porthole look. I hope to cut the door this afternoon and then glue in the wood for the supports for the door latch and hinges. I will post pics of the door cut out. The fiberglass and epoxy should be in on Monday so I hope to be ready to begin glassing Monday afternoon.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu May 10, 2012 5:24 pm

Monday ... Wow!!! That’s Quick .... all we need now is the :pictures:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Thu May 10, 2012 9:19 pm

Got the door cut out and window hole cut and routed in today. Tomorrow I hope to cut in the wood support for the hinges and door latch.918429184391844
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bonnie » Thu May 10, 2012 9:22 pm

aksnowryder wrote:Got the door cut out and window hole cut and routed in today. Tomorrow I hope to cut in the wood support for the hinges and door latch.918429184391844

Really like that porthole window!
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Fri May 11, 2012 1:23 am

Thanks Bonnie
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri May 11, 2012 3:26 am

AK, Thanks for the pics ... Looking Good , really coming along quickly .... :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aksnowryder » Fri May 11, 2012 6:36 am

Thanks GPW, I'm trying to be ready for when my fiberglass supplies get here. Truthfully, I'm nervous about laying the glass and epoxy. I have never done a project of this size before. Like many here, my experience has been in RC planes and rockets. I've spent the past month talking to the fiberglass shop going over the plans and having them go over them with me to see if I've forgotten anything in my planning. So it may seem the build is going fast, but I assure you, I feel like it has been going on much longer.
aksnowryder
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Foamies