Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Postby Ned B » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:05 pm

ghcoe wrote:This is where my sub-roof gutter system would be good. Any water that may get past the hinge gets caught in the gutter before getting in. Then the water will flow out one side or the other. :thumbsup:

Gutter explained.png

Something to think about for those large windows is Polycarbonate Twinwall. It is light, strong, and more insulative than plexiglass. It is used a lot in greenhouses construction.

https://www.interstateplastics.com/Poly ... =242&qty=1

Thanks! I like both ideas, the gutter and the twinwall! My over engineer OCD kicked in for a second.... I started designing a downspout.. Then I said nah, just a simple hole to give it a place to go. Of course a hole in the canvas invites leaks... So I'm back to thinking of a piece of PVC running down the top edge of the slanted sidewall & out at the back of the trailer...
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:47 pm

Tent camping ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: yes, that was particularly miserable in the rain ... still better than being outside ... sorta’ ... That gutter idea sure makes good sense huh !!! Drain it away before it gets inside... :thumbsup: Easier to do in Foam ... 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:56 pm

darnit... GPW you're a bad influence... now my OE OCD is kicking in big time...why should I build a tip up roof at all? I can get nearly the same volume and headroom without it. I just need to put in more windows for open/airy spacious feel for Lori.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby ghcoe » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:42 pm

On my next build I plan on using some of the Polycarbonate Twinwall up over the bead or curved around like the picture below........

Now to really mess with your mind....... :twisted:

Real cool camper and easy to do in foam...... :thumbsup:
http://www.gizmag.com/romotow-w2-concep ... pictures#7
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:57 pm

reminds me of the nissan cube...

nah.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:07 am

just read through the entire thread... depressing. :thumbdown:

Even with the new job, I'm not sure when I'll ever be able to afford the materials. Sounds like the last 2 years... :DOH2: :dead:
I'm going to put it on hold Again... until/if I can find the bits and pieces to put it together. At least I've 'settled' on a firm design. The past 2 years with the courier job killed any possibility to get 'ahead'... between the fuel and repairs to my vehicles. The Prius is still 'down' and we're running the escape 'ragged' (not nearly as much as when I was on the road though). I've got two more days of work this week, then I'm going to be firing up the heater out in the shop and slinging lots and lots of boards around out in the shop.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:42 pm

Big development... my new drum sander wouldn't work on the extension cord... i Thought it was that the line drop on the 50' cord was too steep, and that was causing the breaker to pop. SO i bit the bullet and paid for a 60A sub panel to be run out to the shop. With the electrician standing there, I plugged in the sander to the brand new 20A circuit, it spun up and Popped the breaker. :cry: :x

We finally diagnosed that it was simply a case of breaking in the new motor, he metered the line each time I spun up the sander (which is nominally a 15A machine) and it was drawing less and less each time. After about 20 iterations it spins up just fine and the breaker isn't popping. SO now I have power in the shop for real (vs temp power via extension cord). They ran pipe out from the house to the shop. For the moment it is above ground, once the spring thaws come, I'll dig a trench and drop the pipe in the ground.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:01 pm

You won't regret having the shop hard wired. Even if it cuts into your camper budget for now, the whole point of all of this is to be able to have fun and relax at the end of the day. Not having to pull cords or worry about over drawing a circuit is just good peace of mind.

I have a little 110v MIG welder and could never get a decent bead with it... until I hard wired my garage and got rid of the 100 ft of extension cord I was using. Best upgrade ever.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:42 pm

KCStudly wrote:You won't regret having the shop hard wired. Even if it cuts into your camper budget for now, the whole point of all of this is to be able to have fun and relax at the end of the day. Not having to pull cords or worry about over drawing a circuit is just good peace of mind.

I have a little 110v MIG welder and could never get a decent bead with it... until I hard wired my garage and got rid of the 100 ft of extension cord I was using. Best upgrade ever.

Oh absolutely... I always 'thought' that it would be about 3x the cost of what I paid, so I simply didn't invest. I'm sure that all of my tailed tools: Table Saw, bandsaw, lathe etc... will be 'happier' with shore power vs a 50' extension cord.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Mon Mar 02, 2015 9:51 pm

This year's polar vortex has kept me out of the shop for the most part. I did get some time out there on Friday and again today. The Sander is doing a great job, and I'm catching up on my board making. I'm finding it takes longer than I had hoped to get a board smooth, many light passes, which simply takes time. Looking like my 'weekend' will be a productive time for me this week. I have wed-Fri off, and I should get 20 or so boards finished and out the door, if not 40 by Saturday.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:21 am

I didn't quite get enough done this 'weekend'... and i'm on day 2 of 5 at work (essentially tuesday). I am still de-bugging the new sander. The feed belt won't track right and I keep having to dial it in, which is something of a positive feedback loop... make an adjustment, watch several minutes, wait for it to correct, then when it overcorrects, bring it back into alignment.

on the plus side the results coming off of the sander are promising, the sander takes a few more passes at very fine adjustments to not bog down, but it works well otherwise!
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies