Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam- Design coming toge

Postby Ned B » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:35 am

Well, things they are a'changin

Couple of weeks ago, I popped in to visit a buddy of mine, We used to work together as a dispatcher team at Swift transportation. I 'moved on', but Ronnie stayed with them. He works the overnight shift 1800-0600, so I've been stopping to visit when I get in from my courier runs at oh dark hundred. On this visit, he mentioned that they were hiring for ECT (extended coverage team) and that they hadn't posted the ad yet. I slept on it, and put my resume in, and applied. Had a face to face interview with the terminal manager, caught up on old times and then started the waiting game. A week ago friday, I got the call. I start tomorrow. Full time ,albeit funky shifts... I'll be working saturday and sunday 0600-1800, then monday & tuesdays 1200-2130, and every other wednesday 1200-2130. Full time, decent benefits and i'll be off the road.

My contract with the courier service states I have to give them three weeks notice, I did, and I'll wrap up with them on the 8th of January. Going to be a busy week and a half... 13 days straight. I'm going for 'orientation' tomorrow, and I'll work days this coming week. I'm presuming I won't work the weekend, so I'll fulfill my contracted days, and be 'done' with the scheduled delivery job. I think I will be pulling a few more stats though for the next couple of months, just a little extra money, working around the new job schedule
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:43 am

Always great to hear when people are moving up. Good for you, Ned :thumbsup:
Especially if it gives you both the time at home and $$ to do what you want rather than having one or the other (like building TDs!)

With the Sketchup drawings on the last page - am I the only one who can't see them in their full width ?
Not sure if it's sizing or a format thing on my end, though other pics on the board look fine.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:45 am

no you're right
i'll fiddle with them and repost
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:05 pm

WW, there, tweaked the jpegs.
Thanks, re the job! It's about a wash $ wise... on paper anyway. Effectively about $100/week raise though as my gas bill will be drastically reduced. Even with the Prius I was pumping 5-6 tanks a week.. now, I might do 1 every other week? Probably one per week, I like to drive, and even a trip to walmart or the Borg is 15-20 minutes.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:16 pm

Ned , and the edges won’t be so sharp as the drawings , if you use foam ... further softening the profile and helping slightly with the wind flow ... That’ll be a nice spacious trailer!!! 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Postby Ned B » Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:23 pm

This is definitely a hybrid foamie.. I'll have shop made support ribs under 2" foam. Plywood for the cabinetry, and the floor of course. The sketchup design is sharp, the finished product 1" round over . I'm thinking commercial side doors for the cabin, shop built rear door. Folding rear wall a-la the OWW , with tilt up roof (to help Lori cope with her claustrophobia). Goal is 1000 lbs , though if I trade in the prius that won't matter as much. Minimal cabinets, just enough for cold food prep if it is pouring. I'll put batteries up in the nose just in front of the cabin.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:24 am

starting to look like a plan...
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:52 pm

I've been working on my sketchup model.. here's my rough inner cabinetry

Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Tue Jan 06, 2015 1:30 am

looking good! congrats on the "new job", using less gas is always a plus.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:34 am

I like that layout.
Sensible way to maximize space
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 06, 2015 7:26 am

Ned , do you really need all those cabinets (extra weight ) .... what about under bed storage access ??? :thinking: Sorry , just trying to think this through ... How much “stuff” are you planning on storing and toting along ... ??? :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:15 pm

GPW wrote:Ned , do you really need all those cabinets (extra weight ) .... what about under bed storage access ??? :thinking: Sorry , just trying to think this through ... How much “stuff” are you planning on storing and toting along ... ??? :o

The 'under bed' storage is negotiable... I'm not planning on an over built platform for that. I'd go with mattress on floor, at most some 1x3's with 1/2" ply to hold up the mattress. Strictly kreg jig construction. The cabinets are going to be Very basic... just a place to keep the cooler, and the stove in transit, plus a bit of food and cooking gear (DO, cups,flatware, and some plates etc...) 1/2" ply over some 3/4 poplar bracing will do fine, with just a thicker countertop.

The bench will be minimal as well, just a place to park as needed, with some storage underneath... water jug or camp chairs, that sort of thing. The taller cabinet... we'll see if that stays. If I ditch that cabinet though, I could easily lose a foot in length.

No matter what, the phone call I just got from the toyota dealer just put this back on the 'next year' plan list. My prius needs about 2x it's book value in dealer cost repairs. I'm looking into cheaper alternatives, but it was one heck of an ugly bill on a used car I owe two more years on.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:24 pm

Ouch! Best of luck with that
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Ned B » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:00 am

looks like there are much cheaper repairs available. I will still have to save up some to get them done though. until then the wife and I will share our FEH (Ford Escape Hybrid). Luckily she can adjust her availability around my work schedule and/or she'll be able to drop me off at work for the next couple of months. My schedule is 'fixed' hers varies. And in a pinch, I can run the prius short distance which work is.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:31 am

Ned , the Dealers are the Most Expensive repairs available ... Anywhere !!! ... Parts and Service is what makes them Highly profitable (enough to buy NFL football teams) :o :roll: Best avoid them and find yourself an “inspired" local private mechanic ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies