Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Postby Ned B » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:33 pm

Yep, ttt size, about the same as the foamstream. 5' internal height at the front, lifting roof in the back to almost 9' internal. Think Volume... the wife has claustrophobia, so 'wide open spaces' is the goal . Also, i'm a tall drink o'water... I'm 6'3" so I'm perfectly happy to have some headroom back in the stand up area. I'll have to duck going into bed, but that's OK.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:12 am

That will be NICE !!! :thumbsup: 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Postby Ned B » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:53 pm

slow evening at work tonight, so I'm pondering plans for the trailer (again)...

Thoughts on Electrical:

I'll pick up a simple rv style power center. We'll be boondocking every now and again, and a simple 12V deep discharge battery will be enough for keeping the electronic devices charged and working. For those times when we have shore power, a simple plug mold will more than suffice. I'll do a simple outlet at the nose of the trailer for when we have shore power, but also will put a couple of 12V USB outlets for cell charging. Lighting will most likely be 12V only, with at most a 110 light in the kitchenette area.

Decor
Obviously this is putting the cart waaaaay before the horse... but here I go anyway: I'm planning on light color wood for the spars, which I'm not planning on covering. Still, my idea of 'camp' was imprinted on several houses my grandparents rented when I was a youngster. They had pine with an amber shellac everywhere, so I may put a seal coat of the mix and leave it at that, but I may also put another more 'golden' color as well.

I do know that this is one place I'm going to 'win' the color battle with my wife. I lose at home, but I'm planning on greens and browns for the inside wall panels. I'll be closely copying GPW and putting up the same/similar cardboard to cover the interior spaces. Exterior... our current TV is the blue/purple Escape, but I think I'll let the trailer be its own entity... I'll go with a light grey or tan base with Green and Brown accents.

Doors and windows...

I'm going with manufactured doors for the sleeping area, home built for the tail. Windows.. there's where it gets tricky. I'm leaning as I mentioned towards a pair of screened triangular supports for the lifting roof. up front, I'm considering shop built tilt out casement panels for ventilation. Not windows, but rather panels that will tip out at the bottom with screens inside. Sketches when I have some time at home... I can 'see' them in my mind's eye, but they're not anything I've ever seen. Basically a way to have weather tight solid walls, AND have ventilation in the sleeping area. For privacy's sake I'll be putting these near the top of the wall, and they'll be about 8-10" tall and 15" or so wide.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421817486.046598.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421817486.046598.jpg (233.54 KiB) Viewed 1804 times

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421817467.588940.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421817467.588940.jpg (254.21 KiB) Viewed 1804 times

[ Really slow night... did a quick 5 min sketch of the tilt out panels and roof raised. Pardon the crudity, just trying to show the panels in all three modes... closed, halfway open and fully open...]

The commercial doors will get curtains inside. The lifting roof will have fixed windows across the tail, with curtains in case the campsite will force us to park where the light would stream in in the morning. I'm a serious night owl, and would sleep in a 'cave' if I could manage it. Lori likes things open and airy, and is a morning person... :shock:
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:38 am

Do you “need” that many windows ... ? :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:22 am

Your vents remind me of some delivery van vents that were posted elsewhere. Let me have a look.

Something like this, not as large as you would like, nor thrifty.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:40 am

GPW wrote:Do you “need” that many windows ... ? :thinking:

I'm only thinking one per side, that sketch was to show the three stAtes.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:16 am

KCStudly wrote:Your vents remind me of some delivery van vents that were posted elsewhere. Let me have a look.

Something like this, not as large as you would like, nor thrifty.

very familiar with those, which are commonly used in the sleeper cabs of trucks. That's sort of the idea of what I'm going for... ventilation that is secure. My thought was a way to get fresh air in while maintaining privacy in the bedroom so to speak. More in a bit, I had to get up 'early' today, my wife had to help a friend of ours out, and I had to drop her off so I could get the SUV (the prius is on minimal usage duty right now). I'm going to catch a bit of a nap so I'll be good to work until 0200 tonight. back in a bit.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:14 am

Decided to do a sketch with a Big canopy for the lifting roof...
overall profile. 5' roof at front section for scale.

here's where it gets exciting... (well, sort of...)

and canopy UP

This is mostly a design exercise to explore just how it would look with a really BIG canopy... I Love the huge space inside... and since it is a foamie... I'll have a simple frame inside and still be light enough to lift up manually. the windows in the tail are 18" across each pane... for scale. I still have to work on the lower wall section. I'm planning on a tip forward upper wall section hinged just above the window section. (so that the canopy overlaps in transit). I also have not sketched the filler screened panels which will hold up the canopy when it is raised.

Sketchup and I continue to have an armed truce... there were plenty of phantom lines/sections gone missing... but I was more interested in the overall look than to the inch accuracy at this point.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jan 25, 2015 12:28 am

So plexi windows to keep it light?

Will, that it were to be built, the side fillers be hinged in place, or how will you go about lifting it and setting it up?

I might be tempted to simplify the front. I can see the overhanging/forward jutting upper section being the same panel and line all the way to the floor, then there would be a couple less facets to have to cut, fit, and join.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:25 am

KCStudly wrote:So plexi windows to keep it light?

Will, that it were to be built, the side fillers be hinged in place, or how will you go about lifting it and setting it up?

I might be tempted to simplify the front. I can see the overhanging/forward jutting upper section being the same panel and line all the way to the floor, then there would be a couple less facets to have to cut, fit, and join.

I'm thinking at this point, lift roof up, prop, fit panels, fold up rear wall/door, (latch door/wall and insert panels together) lower roof, secure.

as for the nose... this sketch is poor, essentially it would be a full 5' high vertical wall with a tongue box for batteries, and then the nose 'cone'. The nose cone section would be for 'soft goods storage' with an access door inside... (sleeping bags, etc...). the tongue box would be about 12-16" deep, at the widest, very similar to a certain TPCE nose box. :roll: Essentially a trapezoid, straight vertical walls. the Sketch got a bit fancier, but I was going to have the lower section be just the trapezoid snugged up against the front vertical wall.

and definitely plexi windows for weight control.
Last edited by Ned B on Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:44 am

And did a slightly less wild canopy...

Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sun Jan 25, 2015 3:36 am

and with the side panels... my brain hurts... in order to get the proper isosceles triangle with the correct length legs and without a really funky pair of base angles I had to dig deep in the math... math hurts at 2am... :?

however, that looks really close to what I've been envisioning... the triangular inserts hold up the roof (there will be more cross pieces in the real thing, sketchup also hurts at 2am... :frustrated:

why am I up this late?? this is my 'normal' work schedule these days and I try and keep my body on the same clock even on my days off. Besides my wife is out of town and I dont' really feel like crawling into bed until I'm sure I'll just fall fast asleep. I'll work on the door and what not tomorrow.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:09 am

Is it just me or does the roof hinge directly over the bed area make anybody nervous ? Rain? :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby ghcoe » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:26 am

This is where my sub-roof gutter system would be good. Any water that may get past the hinge gets caught in the gutter before getting in. Then the water will flow out one side or the other. :thumbsup:

Gutter explained.png
Gutter
Gutter explained.png (22.37 KiB) Viewed 1670 times

Something to think about for those large windows is Polycarbonate Twinwall. It is light, strong, and more insulative than plexiglass. It is used a lot in greenhouses construction.

https://www.interstateplastics.com/Poly ... =242&qty=1
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:57 am

GPW wrote:Is it just me or does the roof hinge directly over the bed area make anybody nervous ? Rain? :roll:

If Its raining That bad ill button it up.. .. Seriously I accepted the leak possibility when I chose a lifting roof design. I figured a gutter system would be necessary . Can't be any worse than some of my experiences tent camping.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies