Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Postby Ned B » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Welcome to my Build thread... the first section was written when I had all of the good intentions of building a trailer to haul my photo gear for a former job (really former, as in 4 employers ago...) My situation has changed in a Huge way, so I'm re-titling the thread. Some of the info in the first section is still applicable, so I'm going to simply put a redirect link to the New stuff here... and update the title.

Link to the restart on page 3: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=50718&p=1005478#p1005471

Hi gang,
I had a thread started about a project I'm going to start in a couple of weeks.

I'm a traveling photographer, meaning I go, set up a studio on site and do portraits (currently). This means I haul a Lot of gear with me:
That is a 'complete' studio set up for my employer; Lifetouch. The only items not in that pile that I carry were a cart/dolly which folds down pretty compactly, three posing stools and a 40" plastic tote.
Here's a shot of what my SUV looks like (older set of equipment)
I currently haul all of this gear around with me in my SUV, And while that's been acceptable, it means that when I'm home on weekends, we have to either all cram in around my gear, or unload all or part of it into the house to use the SUV as a family.

That's the 'studio storage' part of the equation, storing that much gear when I'm on the road.

I'm also a former full time RV'er, I lived out of a 27' 5th wheel by Shadowcruiser, which looked very much like this:

That's obviously a much larger trailer than normally found on here, but it is relevant to this thread.

I'm going to try and find either a HF or similar trailer, or a used and abused popup to salvage a frame from, and build a Foamie that will have ample storage for all of that equipment, as well as a place for me to grab some shut eye on my way home from a shoot if I so choose. I could simply get a small cargo trailer and use that for the gear, but what's the fun in that, when I can build something that I can use for my own purposes as well.

My plan is to have the 'gear' live in the basement, underneath the sleeping quarters. which will give me a shorter trailer length wise, albeit a taller one. My Rendeszvous is a relatively tall TV with a hefty 3500 lb tow capacity. I won't be getting anywhere near that with my intended design, using foam for the walls and so forth, but I'll be putting brakes on the trailer and a controller in the SUV as I expect it will top out over 1000 lbs when loaded, and I definitely prefer for the trailer to pull its weight when braking is required.

Sketch once I get to that point, but, think approximately 2' high by 4' wide x 5' or so long storage area for the photo gear accessible by a hatch out back , plus a 3' or so space up front for a pull out galley/cooler space at the nose (side door). Above that, i'm planning to put a sleeper only space, with just a couple of shelves for phone, a small set of speakers and the like. One person (wife says she's too claustrophobic) only... I'll do a triangular panel pop top with windows in that section only so that only when I'm actually sleeping in it, will it look like a 'camper', otherwise, just a home built cargo trailer. I'll put a fantastic roof fan in for ventilation, as well as a single deep discharge battery (charged from the vehicle). If I'm in a campground, I'll have a minimal 120v system as well, just a power strip with an extension cord for 120v lights. otherwise, I'll just have a minimal set of 'LEDs or rv style 12v lights.

How does that relate to the shadow cruiser? That nose on the cruiser did a fine job of cutting into the wind behind the pickup I used back then, i'm planning on incorporating a similar nose cone to help with aerodynamics. I figure that building that out of foam will be 'simple', and since i'll be using the 'canvas over foam' method, I'll simply glue up the nose cone and shape it with my woodworking tools.
Last edited by Ned B on Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Re: Hybrid Foamie: Sleeper with Studio storage on wheels

Postby bonnie » Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:02 pm

Very doable. There are several builds that incorporate storage areas under a sleeping area. Welcome to foamie land.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:42 pm

bonnie wrote:Very doable. There are several builds that incorporate storage areas under a sleeping area. Welcome to foamie land.

Thanks Bonnie,
I've been following lots of threads here in Foamieland, and I've gotten through most of the huge thread (lots of downtime in my hotels)...

I've built my own woodshop, and have a fairly good set of tools. No garage to work in, but that's not a big deal, my shop has a small footprint, but if I keep things modular, I should be able to build most of it in the shop, and then simply install it all 'at once' as it were
incidentally, I have an old blog about the building of my woodshop at nedswoodshop.blogspot.com if anyone wants to see what my shop is 'about'.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:15 pm

Welcome to the world of Foamies... The planning is fun and the execution sometimes takes more work than expected but if you have enough skill to build a shed, you've got plenty enough skill to pull it all off. Have fun and send pics :pictures: :pictures:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby loaderman » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:43 pm

Your storage area could be under the bed only, across the back of the trailer. Then a lower area for you feet and standing or crouching.
loaderman
The 300 Club

Postby Ned B » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:07 am

atahoekid wrote:Welcome to the world of Foamies... The planning is fun and the execution sometimes takes more work than expected but if you have enough skill to build a shed, you've got plenty enough skill to pull it all off. Have fun and send pics :pictures: :pictures:

Not sure when I'll be able to start on it, looks like I'll be on the road again starting next week (I'm off this week, packing to move this weekend.)

Pictures are a certainty... lol
Last edited by Ned B on Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:09 am

loaderman wrote:Your storage area could be under the bed only, across the back of the trailer. Then a lower area for you feet and standing or crouching.

That's an excellent idea, thanks!

I'm 6'3" tall... so at 'best' without a pop-top it will be a slouchy, so I'm planning on a lifting roof with triangular panels. even then, it will be cozy.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:31 am

here's an extremely quick sketch of what I envision... sort of a kitchen-less reverse weekender. 8' long platform, cabin length about 9-10' (plus tongue). Door on the passenger side, hatch on lower half of the back, I didn't draw it, but since this is designed to hold a specific set of equipment, I would build in dedicated cubbies for each piece of gear ( long stuff on the bottom, with a roll out tray above). the floor will be a torsion box with 1/2" plywood sandwiching poplar, then foam above that for the walls etc. Being a star-trek fan, It sort of looks like a modified original series shuttlecraft at this point. it will be built on a 4x8' platform with external fenders.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:04 pm

Ned, your shuttlecraft looks like it’d be an excellent Foamie .... “ Make it so ! “ ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:15 pm

GPW wrote:Ned, your shuttlecraft looks like it’d be an excellent Foamie .... “ Make it so ! “ ... ;)

Engage!

First I have to move back to NY, then get settled in there... put all my tools back in my shop etc...

Doubt I'll use it this summer, perhaps by fall!
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:26 am

welcome to the foamie section! do you travel around to the schools taking pics of the kids?
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Hybrid Foamie: Sleeper with Studio storage on wheels

Postby Ned B » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:41 am

eaglesdare wrote:welcome to the foamie section! do you travel around to the schools taking pics of the kids?
Thanks! I've been lurking awhile, even slogged through most of the huge thread!
Close, I do church directories, same company, different division.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Hybrid Foamie: Sleeper with Studio storage on wheels

Postby Verna » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:52 am

Ned, I thought you just moved to VA...good luck with your move to NY.
Verna
Indianapolis, IN
Verna
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:02 am

Ned , please excuse me , I can’t help but to make drawings of ideas , so here’s another take on a shuttlecraft Foamie ... Just my ramblings ... Wider is better ... 4’ wide is kinda’ cramped for me (6’3” also) .. more under bed storage space too ... and a little 24sq. ft. walkabout area , under the raised top ... :thinking: The nose is similar to your RV and will allow it to be built on an 8’ trailer but be longer inside (TARDIS ) :o

Old pop up trailer frame would be perfect .... ;)

There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:22 am

Hey GPW. I think it's wobbly wheels with an avatar he calls Hillbilly 5th wheel, but we're almost headed there with that design. 8) 8) 8) Reminds me of the Scamp version of a fifth wheel. http://www.scamptrailers.com/Showroom/19FifthWheelTrailers/19Photos.aspx Should be doable. May need a bit of "looks about right" engineering, you'll need a pickup to pull it and the hitch will weight a bit but I think it's a great idea :thumbsup: :thumbsup: HMMM maybe build number 2. I know I'll be like Mike and start a second build before I get done with the current one!! 8) :lol: 8) :lol: :shock:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies