Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Hybrid Foamie: Wild Wanderer in Foam-now with sketches

Postby dales133 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 6:46 am

If your going to buy barbies car at least make it manual ( stick shift in american)
:)
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby Ned B » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:12 am

dales133 wrote:If your going to buy barbies car at least make it manual ( stick shift in american)

Afraid not, my wife shouldn't drive stick anymore; she has diabetes & the neuropthia is a concern. Several years ago I had a stick shift in a pickup. & she wouldn't drive it because of numbness in her feet. She can manage an automatic, but the clutch was too much.

Plus, while I can drive stick, I'm perfectly happy to do 99% of my driving without a clutch as well. If I won the lottery I might buy a sports car to play with & that would be a stick, but for daily commute a slush box is fine.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:54 am

Random late night Project thoughts:

GPW and I have been talking over in the foamstream thread: http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=45027&start=2700#p1111785

I've come to the realization that the foamstream is the construction style 'model' I'm basing my build on. Style wise, I'm going more slab side so I won't be dealing with kerfing,

GPW suggested treating all of the skeleton with the mixture. I'd have to see what wood I wind up using, and that a skim coat of the mix will do color wise.
as for wood, to keep it lightweight, my first thought is poplar 1x2's , for strength though I'm leaning towards either Ash or cypress. Ash is readily available and cheap up here, cypress is sold as an 'exotic' at my lumber supplier. He can get it, but it costs more. :roll: I'm confident I can make the parts in batches, and won't be doing CNC. If I decide to do weight reduction holes, I'll slap a router template on there and go to town.

I'll be going with 1/2" birch ply and maple or birch face frames (depends on what I can lay hands on), and /or ash if I like how it looks with the mix on it. Between the ribs, I'm not sure what color we'll use for paint/sealant yet... other than a 'lighter' color. I'll definitely be doing paint over tb2 thinned down for sealing the canvas in any case.

All righty that's enough for tonight since I'm just putting random thoughts out... thanks for checking.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby dales133 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:22 am

Ned B wrote:
dales133 wrote:If your going to buy barbies car at least make it manual ( stick shift in american)

Afraid not, my wife shouldn't drive stick anymore; she has diabetes & the neuropthia is a concern. Several years ago I had a stick shift in a pickup. & she wouldn't drive it because of numbness in her feet. She can manage an automatic, but the clutch was too much.

Plus, while I can drive stick, I'm perfectly happy to do 99% of my driving without a clutch as well. If I won the lottery I might buy a sports car to play with & that would be a stick, but for daily commute a slush box is fine.

It was tounge in cheek mate
dales133
4000 Club
4000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:45 pm

Ned , must be the time of the year for cars and trucks to die ... The wife got stranded at work , the Trailblazer (2002) made a funny transmission noise and wouldn’t go into reverse... When I tried it it sounded like someone rocking on a cat’s tail Rrrrrrrrrrrrroooooowwwwwww :frightened: This is going to be Expensive ... :roll: My buddy the mechanic asked if the wife was ready for a new Mercedes... I told him we only have the budget for a used Fiat ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:06 pm

ugh, that's not good.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Ned B » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:18 pm

http://smalltrailerenthusiast.com/2014/ ... ly-cabana/

Showed this to Lori she liked the layout... So back to the 'Big' trailer
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 17, 2015 1:06 pm

Ned , I could see that with a roomier front end ... it would be Huge inside ... like a Land Yacht with those windows , yet could be built lightly (but still Very Strong) ... :thumbsup: 8) :applause: :beer:
Attachments
Cabana'ish.png
Cabana'ish.png (123.89 KiB) Viewed 826 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:31 pm

GPW wrote:Ned , must be the time of the year for cars and trucks to die ... The wife got stranded at work , the Trailblazer (2002) made a funny transmission noise and wouldn’t go into reverse... When I tried it it sounded like someone rocking on a cat’s tail Rrrrrrrrrrrrroooooowwwwwww :frightened: This is going to be Expensive ... :roll: My buddy the mechanic asked if the wife was ready for a new Mercedes... I told him we only have the budget for a used Fiat ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

You need a vehicle? I am trying to sell one. But you will have to come to Idaho and get it

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:29 am

Watcha’ got ???
Although the TB could be fixed , ($3000.00+) for the 3 year /1000000 mi , or $2700.00 for the one year warranty :roll: Blue Book is only 3K :o ... And the kind gentleman who owned the transmission place offered me $500.00 for the TB “as is” ... Which he would undoubtedly fix, flip , and make several extra thousand dollars ... That sounds fair !!! :NC

More than anything , the wife wants something more recent ... and we know how that always goes ... :roll:

Looking at that camper (above) , does it look like the front is a camper top from a pickup ? (that would be easy ) And the back part (hatch) above the “blue" would lift up to make the taller standing area... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:22 am

Again ,I couldn’t help but make an exploratory drawing ... :o The back’s not right , but I can understand the mechanism now ... :thinking: So, why not a pop up section instead of a tilt up ? :NC
Attachments
Cabanaish'.png
Cabanaish'.png (17.6 KiB) Viewed 765 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:53 am

Probably to small for you. It is a 2000 Chevy tracker with 2000cc 4 banger auto.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:35 pm

Don’t think I could even fit in that ... :o Tried to sit in my friends smaller chevy truck , felt like a sardine .. :o

Drawing above reminds me of the other drawing, Boat & Camper .... Strange that the more we draw the more these get really Boxy like RV’s .... OMG!!! :o :roll: :frightened: :duh: Not really streamlined much , but practical and easy to build (especially with foam) ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:52 pm

GPW,
the front of that little 5'er does look a lot like a pickup topper doesn't it? Lori asked about that in fact. I dunno... while I like that wrap around window effect, I'll have to find a different solution.

As for the pop up section, there's that whole lifting mechanism thing on a popup. This is a foamie after all... thrifty and simple are the buzzwords. Some really smart guy down in cajun country may have said that originally... :lol: I'm still leaning towards a queen bed in the nose, with a lifting roof section in the tail for a 'standie' section. One of the things Lori liked was the walk through galley/cabinet area, plus the bed in the nose, essentially what I had drawn up already, only the 5er you had to climb up into the bed. My 5'er which looked something like this:

had the same configuration, I always found it to be fairly cozy, but evidently she didn't like it as much. I'm going to try and keep the 'sight lines' as open as possible... little or no rear wall behind the mattress area so when in bed before she goes to sleep she'll be able to see all the way to the tail of the trailer. Me, I'd be fine with a traditional sized cabin, with the galley in the back.

So I'm back to this sketch:

the lift up section would be fairly light weight even with the frame, the rear door and upper wall would tilt inward at the break point, and in transit the upper section would keep it all sealed.I'll build a triangular screened section to fill in the gap when the roof is up, with canvas or some other cover in case it is raining. In transit they would fit into brackets in the roof section.
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:59 pm

So it’s going to be a BIG trailer ... :o Tall in the back ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies