Foamie Jeep Camper Hardtop

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamie Jeep Camper Hardtop

Postby wagondude » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:49 pm

Also look for plastic suppliers in your area. Maybe find one that makes custom aquariums and bullet proof glass. They would cut it any shape you want and even have the required equipment to curve it if necessary. Then if it gets messed up, it's theirs. If you mess up making your own, you didn't save anything if you end up having to make it twice. You could also get tinted material that will match the rest of the glass (or close to it).
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby afertig » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:36 pm

Did you ever do anything with this? I am planning on building a trailer to pull behind my wrangler, but this would be great.
afertig
Teardrop Inspector

Postby redveloce » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:42 pm

Not yet. It's shelved for the long term, until I get some other projects finished.
redveloce
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:59 am

Re: getting TB II or gripper to stick to foam, I found in testing either will just peel off the foam unless you give it some tooth. With tooth I found the bond strong enough to tear the old worn out bedsheets I was using. I use a warner 250 tool wallcovering perforator to rough up all foam faces, I had no joint failures in my foam boat thanks to the extra depth it gives each bond. I believe a foamie tear will take abuse better than most, I high centered the boat on rocks and logs more than once, I forced the boat off of them rather than tipping it to allow it to float off, other than grooves that we all know could be removed with a steam iron,the foam is fine. I only used regular old bed sheets to cover the boat, not canvas tarp or denim, there were no tears.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies