Portapotties

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Portapotties

Postby jeff0520 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:59 am

atahoekid wrote:
jeff0520 wrote:No thank you on the porta potty. Everywhere we have ever camped had at least outhouses available. If we ever camp anywhere REALLY remote, the Boy Scouts taught me how to dig a latrine, and properly fill it in when I'm done with it..

I too learned how to dig a latrine when I was in the Scouts. As an adult leader, I learned times have changed and now the practice of digging a cathole is preferred. Here's a link to the "Leave No Trace" organization and their recommendations: http://207.7.108.233/programs/principles_3.php. A 6 inch deep hole is a lot easier to dig than a whole latrine :D :lol: :shock:

<sigh> I really miss scouting. I used to be a scoutmaster when I was in my 20's, basicly a great way to keep on scouting after I was too old. It would look just a bit too creepy for me to be the guy in my 40's, with no kids of my own, interested in scouting. :(
Interesting link though. I hadn't realized practises had changed so much in the 20 years that have went by.
"When finished, the cathole should be filled with the original dirt and disguised with native materials." That's a FAR cry from leaving the dirt obviously disturbed with two sticks lashed together into an X on top. :lol:
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:11 am

atahoekid wrote:
eaglesdare wrote:i have a bucket like porta potty, and it uses a double bag system. works great for me. i can't imagine not having my potty with me.

Do you have a brand name??? I'm on a mission now!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Reliance-Products ... B000FIDZLI
this is the exact one that i have. but i did not pay that price. i think i only paid around $26 or 24 ish, years ago in wal mart. their is a bag inside a zip lock type bag. there is also the powdery chemical stuff inside the inside bag. once you are done with it, you just grab the outside of the bag and stuff it into the zip lock bag and take to the dumpster. no fuss, no mess. this may be tmi, but we are all campers with the same functions, so: if you use it for #1 only, it can last a friday night, saturday and sunday morning. no problems. but if somewhere in there #2 happens, well i highly recommend disposing of the bag then.
me, personally, i would not want the water type ones. some has to clean those. and that someone will not be me. :lol: once i get back home i just run a hose over my bucket, and use a hand wipe thing around it. but none of the "mother nature" touches it. anyway, too each their own in this matter. this has worked perfectly for me for a good many years now. i started using this bucket a few years back, maybe 5 ish years or so.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:25 pm

Back in the Navy , we were taught not to be afraid to stick our little hands down in a toilet .... I in fact have much experience there :o ... That and floor cleaning /polishing ... a lifetime skill that I have called upon many times ... Somebody’s gotta’ do it eh ??? :R
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby pete42 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:23 pm

GPW wrote:Back in the Navy , we were taught not to be afraid to stick our little hands down in a toilet .... I in fact have much experience there :o ... That and floor cleaning /polishing ... a lifetime skill that I have called upon many times ... Somebody’s gotta’ do it eh ??? :R

I too was in the Navy aboard a sub for a while in Hawaii
graduated second in my electronics class which made me first to clean the head aboard the sub.
and they have two valves that open clean and polish each and every day.

Jeff I have found camping off the grid most places only allow wild animals to poo in the woods
and they don't have to dig holes one could only imagine what a campground would look like if
everyone dug holes.

I don't like the better half to go out during the night and I can't always wait that long myself.

so don't give up on porta-potties.

pete
pete42
Super Lifetime Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:10 pm

jeff0520 wrote:Interesting link though. I hadn't realized practises had changed so much in the 20 years that have went by.
"When finished, the cathole should be filled with the original dirt and disguised with native materials." That's a FAR cry from leaving the dirt obviously disturbed with two sticks lashed together into an X on top. :lol:

Yup, I remember thinking the same thing when I was first introduced to the idea of catholes... :shock: :? :shock:

Scouting is a great program. We had a couple guys as adult leaders who had no family members in the Troop. With the thorough background check you go through now, it's not as creepy as you think. Troops are always looking for more adult leaders

GPW wrote:Back in the Navy , we were taught not to be afraid to stick our little hands down in a toilet .... I in fact have much experience there :o ... That and floor cleaning /polishing ... a lifetime skill that I have called upon many times ... Somebody’s gotta’ do it eh ??? :R
Yup, But not me!!! :lol: :lol:

Thanks for that info, Louella. We'll see if the wife goes for that or something similar.

Anyone tried a composting toilet??? :thinking: :thinking:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby linuxmanxxx » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:20 am

The ultimate are the incinerator toilets that turns it to ash but they have a huge price tag. I like the kitty litter and toilet stand with kitchen bags myself. If someone doodies change the bag our is it starts smelling change it. Big shower tent works for this and get the portable shower system from amazon or camping world that has water house and standard grill propane bottle for awesome hot showers.
linuxmanxxx
500 Club

Postby wagondude » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:40 pm

jeff0520 wrote:
atahoekid wrote:
jeff0520 wrote:No thank you on the porta potty. Everywhere we have ever camped had at least outhouses available. If we ever camp anywhere REALLY remote, the Boy Scouts taught me how to dig a latrine, and properly fill it in when I'm done with it..

I too learned how to dig a latrine when I was in the Scouts. As an adult leader, I learned times have changed and now the practice of digging a cathole is preferred. Here's a link to the "Leave No Trace" organization and their recommendations: http://207.7.108.233/programs/principles_3.php. A 6 inch deep hole is a lot easier to dig than a whole latrine :D :lol: :shock:

<sigh> I really miss scouting. I used to be a scoutmaster when I was in my 20's, basicly a great way to keep on scouting after I was too old. It would look just a bit too creepy for me to be the guy in my 40's, with no kids of my own, interested in scouting. :(
Interesting link though. I hadn't realized practises had changed so much in the 20 years that have went by.

Jeff, Don't let your age and the no kids thing stop you. You have valuable knowlege and experience to offer and many troops are short on adults. We have people still active in our troop whose kids have moved on years ago. Get your better half to register as well and you can both camp with the troop. Lots of fun for all. I see now how much I missed as a boy by not being in Scouts.

Mel, I was going to suggest composting toilets. I have no experience with them, though. I will probbably look into them more if I ever get a design worked out. I also don't want water tanks to worry about. Maybe check a few boating forums for real world reviews.

Bill
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:44 am

I just need something convenient for #1 in the middle of the night ... the wife ... :roll:

Unless it’s Beer night eh !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:51 am

i tried the kitty litter/garbage bag last year. set off my migraines. so if folks are prone to them because of smells, you might want to stay clear of this one.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:01 am

I wonder if Cats get migraines from kitty litter .... maybe why they sleep so much ... :roll: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:48 pm

eaglesdare wrote:i tried the kitty litter/garbage bag last year. set off my migraines. so if folks are prone to them because of smells, you might want to stay clear of this one.

Thanks for that tip, Louella. ...Who knew?! :o
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Werdahekrwe » Thu May 21, 2015 9:17 pm

In our big (29' Wildwood BHXL) which we have up for sale, we used regular RV chems ONE TIME. nearly stank us out. Found a system (on the "net") called the"Geo System"- 1 cup of common BORAX (20 Mule team - for washing) in a gallon of warm water, mixed thoroughly by shaking. Pour down the toilet, before "jacks up" to for the camp ground. In a 32 gal black tank we emptied every three to four days. NO ODOR. Tank clean. We do have a rinser cleaner but the BORAX makes the sides of the tank slicker (Borax is a "water softener"), thus stay cleaner. I WILL use a reduced recipe for our "potti" in the foamie I am planning, but I WILL use the "geo method." The chems stink worse than the brow stuff :thumbdown: . Now it almost smells sweet :thumbsup:. BTW< the wife loves it. Happy wife, happy life - especially when camping. :lol:
Always remember: You can't fly with eagles if all you hang around with are turkeys.
Werdahekrwe
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri May 22, 2015 6:55 am

Nice tip Werda ... Thanks !!! :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Werdahekrwe » Fri May 22, 2015 6:29 pm

You are welcome :thumbsup:
Always remember: You can't fly with eagles if all you hang around with are turkeys.
Werdahekrwe
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mary C » Fri May 22, 2015 9:01 pm

My son dumps two bags of Ice in the toilet after he dumps. It will knock the solids off the sides as he goes down the road. Of course the ice melts,

I just built mine, I will take it on the longer trips. pictures to follow.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies