Portapotties

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Portapotties

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:25 am

It came up in another thread, so rather than hijack Mel's build thread...

I have little experiences with them ... What do you guys use and why do you like it ... I’m thinking the Big issue is cleaning ...

Yes I am also interested in a porta potty.

I went downstairs and took some (simulated!!!) 'action shots' of mine. I think they all work pretty much the same.
Here's mine:
The blue concentrate makes them easier to live with...

A few pumps to get water in the bowl:

Pull handle to flush:

To empty it, there's a wire handle that unlocks the two halves:
Now it's just a matter of taking the 'jerry can' to a gas station washroom to dump it if there's no sani available. You don't need the special extra-flimsy toilet paper like you do with tanked systems, since it's going down a toilet anyway.

I'm building a pedestal for it to sit on because it's so low - we're both tall and that's a long way down !
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Re: Portapotties

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:45 am

COOL info , Thanks !!!! I was worried it’d be too tall for my 4’ ceiling ... :thumbsup:
Cleaning that doesn’t look so bad eh ?
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jeff0520 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:58 am

No thank you on the porta potty. Everywhere we have ever camped had at least outhouses available. If we ever camp anywhere REALLY remote, the Boy Scouts taught me how to dig a latrine, and properly fill it in when I'm done with it.. Call me crazy, but I'd rather dig a hole than empty a porta potty. :shrug:
For just such a situation I have a tent with no floor, and a chair with a hole in the seat saved up. A quick stop for a bucket of lime, and we are set.
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:02 pm

Nah, they're a piece of cake to clean as long as you do it BEFORE you put it away, lol.
If you can sit up inside, 4' should be enough room. The unit itself is about 13" tall.
You could also set it up outside with a tarp as a privacy curtain. That's what I did with its predecessor, the Mark I Poopenthrone:
A kitchen garbage bag and a scoop of kitty litter go into the bucket, then the bag gets tied off when you're done (1 bag per use).
It worked well and didn't require water, but the one I have now works better.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby jeff0520 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:08 pm

Wobbly Wheels wrote: Mark I Poopenthrone:

That solution looks more appealing than a portipotty. The idea of uncapping that little tank and dumping it makes me a bit green.
Hypno-Toad's Command Post, the build thread! http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=50384

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Sun Jun 24, 2012 12:17 pm

jeff, to each his own, but what are you worried about ?
You've got all those child slaves to do it for you...
:lol:

Seriously though, the blue stuff is amazing. It makes it smell like nothing more than blue stuff.
The grossest part is dumping it, but the separate tanks makes it easy to dump down a toilet. I usually stop for gas on the way home anyway so when I get home it's just a blast with the hose to get into the corners and put it away. When I opened it up to dump out the water, all I could smell was blue stuff. Part of that is keeping the seals in good shape (Vaseline).
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby jeff0520 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:00 pm

Wobbly Wheels wrote:jeff, to each his own, but what are you worried about ?
You've got all those child slaves to do it for you...

Well, the child slaves went and unionized on me. Since collective bargaining came in, it just hasn't been the same :lol:

jeff0520
The 300 Club

Postby razorback » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:23 pm

This is our choice for a portable toilet. a little more expensive but the bags can be dumped legally anywhere.
http://www.coloradokayak.com/PETT/?gcli ... TAodJSQm2A
Larry
razorback
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Hmmm??? Supplier for the military ... no wonder they are so expensive ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:17 pm

i have a bucket like porta potty, and it uses a double bag system. works great for me. i can't imagine not having my potty with me.
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:34 pm

Eagle , it is the wife who demands some type of facility ... naturally , I will comply ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:11 pm

I am not a fan of having to deal with excrement, but I would love to solve the dilemma which my wife has presented me. She will not go camping to any location without a flush toilet. Even some of those are not useable by her definitions. I think we miss a ton of great spots due to that restriction I would love to put in a porta-potty or similar solution in place. The best solution is odorless, involves a minimum of handling, does not use excess water and is compact. Maybe into the next build... In the mean time, please share your knowledge... There are so many locations I still want to check out!!!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:13 pm

eaglesdare wrote:i have a bucket like porta potty, and it uses a double bag system. works great for me. i can't imagine not having my potty with me.

Do you have a brand name??? I'm on a mission now!!!!
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:02 pm

jeff0520 wrote:No thank you on the porta potty. Everywhere we have ever camped had at least outhouses available. If we ever camp anywhere REALLY remote, the Boy Scouts taught me how to dig a latrine, and properly fill it in when I'm done with it..

I too learned how to dig a latrine when I was in the Scouts. As an adult leader, I learned times have changed and now the practice of digging a cathole is preferred. Here's a link to the "Leave No Trace" organization and their recommendations: http://207.7.108.233/programs/principles_3.php. A 6 inch deep hole is a lot easier to dig than a whole latrine :D :lol: :shock:
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:41 pm

I like the luggable-loo or something similar to that.
The potty lid snaps onto either this 5 gal bucket or one of your choosing and it feels as comfortable as a real toilet:

http://www.target.com/p/reliance-luggab ... A-10305843
OR
http://www.vtarmynavy.com/outdoor-toile ... le-loo.htm

or just the seat, to use with your own bucket:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/camping-toile ... -cover.htm

The luggable loo is the best of the three bag types that I know of. Reliance also makes a hassock style but it is lower and, therefore, not as comfortable.
The other one, with the folding legs has two set-backs: The bag is exposed, vulnerable to punctures, etc, and the legs eventually fracture and break off.

The waste bags:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/double-doodie ... e-bags.htm

You can also get these bags at most Walmart or Target stores or REI, etc.
Or, you can use plastic trash bags doubled up and add kitty litter to the bottom.

Walmart sells the loo for a higher price but includes 12 double-doodie bags, which, when you add it all up, makes it about even in price:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Reliance-Prod ... s/10098759
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Foamies