new hybrid fomie

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: new hybrid fomie

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:21 am

The idea of using the 1X2 framing was actually Steve’s (linuxman) idea , which is very practical when you can’t find thicker foam (everybody seems to stock the 3/4” foam )... The idea was to fit the framing thickness to the thickness of the foam , then the outer layer is glued over all that ( for more insulation and a uniform surface ) and all that covered with canvas... or glass should you choose that route ...

Like KC said , it helps to have a Plan on where you’re going to locate everything , so attachment points can be attached before the finish skin goes on ... :thumbsup: You could do a dowel and plate style hard point for lighter things (after the fact) , but for shelves, bed frames, etc , you might need More bracing and that should be considered prior to the build ... :thinking:

The current thinking for my new build is to use sliced sheets of 3.5” thick beadboard , which BTW fits standard 1X4 ( 3/4” X 3 1/2” ) lumber... again making building easy, just simple cross cutting of standard lumber , no custom woodwork , which requires more advanced tools , .. :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby bmiracle2 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:55 pm

GPW I am torn between both of the methods that you have proposed. they both have the same benefits as my proposed method, but far simpler to build!!

I have yet another method for framing that I am thinking about and would love some opinions. So if I do go with GPW/Linuxman's idea, for constructing the framing together I was thinking of just using stabilizer truss braces instead of screws or nails. I figure if they are enough for roof trusses they would work for a TTT.
bmiracle2
Teardrop Inspector

Postby bmiracle2 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:02 am

bmiracle2 wrote:GPW I am torn between both of the methods that you have proposed. they both have the same benefits as my proposed method, but far simpler to build!!

I have yet another method for framing that I am thinking about and would love some opinions. So if I do go with GPW/Linuxman's idea, for constructing the framing together I was thinking of just using stabilizer truss braces instead of screws or nails to frame in windows and doors. I figure if they are enough for roof trusses they would work for a TTT.
bmiracle2
Teardrop Inspector

Postby atahoekid » Thu Jul 26, 2012 12:48 am

GPW wrote:You can always put in extra wood bracing where you plan to install bigger things , or “hard points “ for the light stuff like cargo nets , lights, etc.

+1 I found hardpoints were the best way to mount lights on the exterior and the like. But as KC Studly said knowing where you're going to put things is important
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:01 am

Something we found out long ago , it takes Much thought and planning to make something really Simple ... Gotta’ have a Plan !!! My plan as always is to use as little wood as possible , and then cover that (the wood) well ... Waterproof is Rot proof !!! :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies