Durability

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Durability

Postby TJinPgh » Mon Aug 06, 2012 10:18 pm

A question has come about as a result of discussing various building techniques here in the foam section...

How long, barring some kind of accident, do you anticipate your build to last? Meaning, once it's finished, how long do you think your camper will remain usable?

We've seen examples of original TDs from the 40s and 50s that are still around. Few and far between, I suppose, but they're still out there.

Not uncommon at all to see campers of various sorts still around, without major renovation, from the 60s. I have a 1968 camper in my driveway that, had the roof been sealed periodically, would be more or less original.

With that thought in mind, not withstanding anything that might be considered "routine maintenance," how long do you think you could get out of your foam build, compared to other building techniques.
-TJ
TJinPgh
The 300 Club

Re: Durability

Postby eaglesdare » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:29 am

i am no expert, but, i bet my foamie could be around for many, many years. considering that this foam doesn't break down (does it?). probably the only maintenance will be painting every so often? mine is covered in canvas, i am not sure how long that will hold up, not sure it will eventually break down and wear away? maybe that is where the repainting part will come into play? the other thing that might/will be a concern might be the glues that hold it all together. will that break down over time? how long will gg hold the foam to foam, or how long will gg hold the foam down to the wood floor?

so as you can see, i have no earthly idea. :lol:

this is my foamies second year of use. i have done no maintence work to it yet. hubby did grease the wheel bearings, but that is on the frame. i have added things to the foamie, but no maintence. my build cost was approx roughly $1300 ish. so all in all i think the foam builds are a good thing.

now if my foamie will hold up as well as my walmart $30.00 tent has i will be very happy (not that i am unhappy, i am actually very happy with my foamie!). but i do have to give kudo's to my tent. it was only $30 bucks and its been on many trips over the last 10 yrs or so. still goinig strong, hubby used it on our last trip. now i am just rambling, must be bored this morning. :oops:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:06 am

As with any new Idea , only time will tell !!! :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:27 pm

Mine has lasted since February... and I haven't even assembled the box yet!!! :D Oh, yeah, most of it is still indoors, too. 8) :lol: :lol: :lol:

The cheeky monkey. :lol:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Return to Foamies