Foamie Paddleboard ....

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Foamie Paddleboard ....

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:19 pm

Mel, now that I know how easy it is to hot wire and sand/shape those Big 10’ blocks ... wood sorta’ moves out of the picture ... unless I wanted a Winter “project" , with much cutting and gluing of little pieces .. :frightened: Take me months with wood , two weekends with foam ... Hmmmm? :thinking:

Eagle , 12’ long 32” wide ... and you CAN use it in the surf ... if there’s any beach left ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:29 pm

I'm with Mel on this one - once sheathed in epoxy, there is no possible way for the wood to become sodden unless the sheathing is damaged. That would likely become and issue if, as you say, she tends to bump into things.
A crack that's not dealt with would let water into the core. At least with foam, it wouldn't progress any further than adding a bit of weight.
The other side of it is that, even if you're using cedar, it's still gonna be heavier than foam.

One possible concern about using the FG drywall tape is that it won't flex as much as everything else. I realize your going to use that property to limit overall flex, but that's going to put a whole lot of shear loading on the adhesive every time they shift their weight, change their stance on the board or go over a swell. My concern would be delam between the taps and the core, which you wouldn't see happening under the cloth.

Maybe something like glass cloth spread over the entire lower surface would spread that loading on the adhesive better than strips ?
Dunno tho, just kickin the can around...
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:38 pm

GPW wrote:Mel, now that I know how easy it is to hot wire and sand/shape those Big 10’ blocks ... wood sorta’ moves out of the picture ... unless I wanted a Winter “project" , with much cutting and gluing of little pieces .. :frightened: Take me months with wood , two weekends with foam ... Hmmmm? :thinking:

Eagle , 12’ long 32” wide ... and you CAN use it in the surf ... if there’s any beach left ... :roll:

oh no, not me, i am more afraid of the sharks than bears! :frightened:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:37 pm

W2, it’s all up to the Gripper ... a good test to see how it will work under extreme (?) conditions ... Wish us Luck !!! :NC

Eagle , I don’t much care for either ..... or Gators :frightened: ... I’m more a small animal guy , dogs , cats , Toads ... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby droid_ca » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:34 pm

GPW did you see the link that posted in the other thread about being thrifty some guy built a foamie trailer that apears to be hard coated
There is a world, just beyond now,
where reality runs a razor thin seam between fact and possibility;

Anywhere I roam where I lay my head is home....
“Fide Canem”
Please check out my build thread
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=52816
droid_ca
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:54 am

Yes, that was very Cool .... Just goes to show , you can do most anything with Foam ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:10 pm

just to let you know I saw for your fishing kayak the one you drew plans for very similiar to what I want to build. can I change that to: the one I will build in the future after I build my Foamie TD and yes don't forget your camera this weekend!!! :pictures: pictures please. :D
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:05 am

Looks like PB activities are called off for this weekend ... one is sick , the other tired ... :roll: ... and it’s a bit chilly out too ... for us anyway ... (<70F) :R
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:12 pm

I listen to an internet radio station from Port Arthur, TX, their weather report is always fun to listen too, but I don't know how anyone could live through the summer temps down there... :?
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:26 pm

Funny ... but I don't know how anyone could live through the winter temps up there... :o All what you’re used to ... :lol: :lol: :lol: 76F here now ... Nice ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:02 am

Yup, All what you're used to. It's 9 pm and 26 degrees here now, we're expecting a couple inches of snow overnight. It's a pretty nice night out :) :D :)
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:20 am

26 , Snow ... BRRRRRR!!!! :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:24 am

One of the Good things to come out of this PB project is the chance to use some really Big pieces of Bead board foam ... Not the usual extruded foam we’re all used to , and seemingly available for a Lot less coin than the blue or pink ... I was concerned about the sanding /shaping process , thinking I’d pull the beads out instead of just sanding .... I was Wrong ... :o The bead board sands much like the extruded foam , no bead pulling , and I was able to achieve a Nice Smooth surface using a belt sander and a long flat sanding stick ... Pretty easy ;) ... So now I’m fully confident that the beadboard on the FoamStream will work out just fine ... :thumbsup:

One thing we found out quickly is to put the dust bag on the belt sander .... without it was like Snow ... getting everywhere... :o With it was no problem , except having to empty it often ... Sanding any foam is sure Messy !!! No way around that except proper dust collection ... or doing it at somebody else’s house ... :R :roll: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:00 pm

Another thing that help is to get a spare hose for the shop vac. A bit of time with a heat gun and you can reshape the plastic insert on the end to fit oddball tools that don't have a round dust port. A bit of duct tape to hold it & seal it and you're off to the races. You could probably tape up a pillowcase (or any cloth bag) on the end of the hose as well.
My sander came with a little bag that filled up way too quickly...
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby starleen2 » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:12 pm

GPW wrote: One thing we found out quickly is to put the dust bag on the belt sander .... without it was like Snow ... getting everywhere... :o With it was no problem , except having to empty it often ... Sanding any foam is sure Messy !!! No way around that except proper dust collection ... or doing it at somebody else’s house ... :R :roll: :lol:

...or having someone around with a leaf blower blowing in the opposite direction! I remember cutting some foam on a table saw and it looked like I just went through a blizzard - The Mrs got out the leaf blower and cleaned me up! :lol:
starleen2
5th Teardrop Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies