Penguino II

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Penguino II

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:03 pm

The squash looks golden brown and delicious! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Shar » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:43 am

Sounds like a lot is getting done! Best of luck with everything. I know how weather can effect a build.
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:48 am

Catherine, so nice to see the new one coming along !!! 8) :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:18 pm

Great to hear you are building again, :applause: :wine:

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to do a little bit every day/evening, but it doesn't always happen. On the bright side, my yard (and the whole mountain) is greener and deeper in grass (and weeds) than it has been in about 7 years!!!
:D

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:27 am

All work and no play makes Catherine a dull girl, ;) so I spent yesterday, which would have been perfect for trailer building, talking with fellow fiber addicts. I haven't used my spinning wheel or loom since the twins were born (they turn 13 on Sept 20!). Yesterday I attended classes on spinning, weaving, and button-knot tying (and we even got in a bit of cheese-making talk), and didn't feel a bit of guilt for not gluing a single joint or canvassing any walls. (Well, maybe just a bit of guilt.) Today I'm at work. No, I mean work, fixing computers. Bummer. This makes up for taking Monday off to register the kids for 7th grade. :shock:

Catherine
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:34 am

As we found out .... some days are "Trailer days" , and some aren’t ... just enjoy it when you can !!! :D

Years back we made a drop spindle and made up some Flemish bow strings out of natural fibers ... Tricky to learn , but easy once we got the hang of it ... Portable too ... Always wanted a wheel , just never ran across one at the right price...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:32 pm

Hi! :lady: I'm back!

Okay, the kids and I flipped the trailer to apply the wrap to the under-side. While it was upside down, Patsy declared that we needed to sign our work.
:woohoo:

Here is the wrap, it will go up about 4 inches on the outside of the foam walls. I glued it with TBII, but the foam gets glued down to the deck with the standard GG.

Back right-side-up, here's the floor waiting for the cabin to be installed.

Let's see, I know I have walls somewhere... :whistle:

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:02 pm

Oh, yeah, there it is! :lol:

:phew:

I'm Pooped!

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:11 am

Catherine+twins wrote: :phew:

I'm Pooped!

Catherine

You should be! It isn't easy, working all day in the hot sun. :sweaty: But, hopefully, you'll get your reward for it soon. :vroom:
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:54 am

Coming along now .... The second build is always easier, you know what to expect ... :thumbsup: 8) :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shar » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:04 pm

That's a neat idea, gluing the canvas onto the bottom first! Takes care of the problem of accessing the underside, gets it done while it's easy-before the walls are in place. 8)
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:29 am

Hey, it's been on the road! I had to pull my (unfinished) trailer over a hundred miles this weekend, and I turned it into an experiment. When I was ready to hook it up, I did a bathroom scale estimate--215 lbs (plus or minus maybe 5) on each wheel and 65 lbs tongue weight--that puts it around 500 lbs, right? (Made the goal! The car is rated for 750 lbs un-braked! :dancing :dancing :dancing Oh, and 120 lbs tongue weight. It's rated for 1200 lbs with trailer brakes, so you see where that tongue weight limit fits in). We added a light picnic table and 3 chairs, about 100 lbs more. (I didn't weigh it with the table inside, but the kids pushed them pretty far in, over the axle or just barely forward.) That puts Penguino2 at the goal of about 10-15% tongue weight, right? But not too tongue-heavy (Penguino1 was tongue-heavy.)

This was, of course, the first time I towed it over city street speeds, so I took it easy at first. :cry: It was awful!!! It bucked and bounced under 45 mph. I had failed!!! But over 50 it smoothed out. Happy speed seemed to be between 55-60. Even found myself going nearly 70 at one point going downhill, and didn't even feel it behind me! OTOH, going uphill into a head wind, oh man it is SO THERE! :lol:

I feel much better about my little trailer now.

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby atahoekid » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 pm

Glad to hear it tows well at high speed, but the bucking and bouncing at lower speeds would concern me. I'm wondering what the trailer axle is rated for and how much air is in the tires. Maybe someone else here can speak to smoothing our the ride at lower speeds
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:14 am

Try more nose weight. My UT is clunky, dare I say almost evil until it gets a little nose weight on it; axle is too far forward on it 'cuz it is a tilt bed.

I doubt the table and chairs adds up to 100 lbs, but add a sizable loaded cooler and maybe together they would.

Load some more heavy stuff up front as a test and try it (water bottles or jugs are easy to move around, and are easy to calculate weight accurately).
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies