Penguino II

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Penguino II

Postby swampjeep » Fri May 17, 2013 11:57 am

Catherine+twins wrote:I am currently in a holding pattern, waiting for my uncle to weld the receiver to the trailer. All of the discussion convinced me welding was the best choice, and when I asked my uncle who could weld it up for me (hey, I've never needed metal work, and he knows people) he declared HE could. But now we're working on uncle time for a couple of weeks. I'm working on the box off of the frame. Well, I'm working on the walls. I'll post pictures soon.

Catherine

poke poke
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:04 pm

Ouch, I haven't added anything for a while!

Okay, Uncle Clark welded the receiver for me this morning! Trailer is home and ready for the box.

I have been working on the box, too, and I'll find some pictures and upload them soon. Yesterday the kids and I were recycling the windows from Penguino I so I can install the frames in the walls while they are still flat. Then we'll canvas the walls and be ready to stand it all up one of these evenings this week.

I know, I know, :pictures: :D

Using my trusty turkey carving knife to round the roof edges

The kids helping determine the bench and window heights

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:53 am

Lookin’ Good !!! A much more reasonable height too ... :thumbsup: 8) ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby S. Heisley » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:17 am

Catherine+twins wrote:Ouch, I haven't added anything for a while!

The kids helping determine the bench and window heights

Catherine

What about yourself? Can you sit inside the trailer without hitting the ceiling?
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:59 am

S. Heisley wrote:
What about yourself? Can you sit inside the trailer without hitting the ceiling?

I can, but it's a bit close. It would be worse if I wore big hair! :lol: The picnic bench they are sitting on there is 17" high, so I think we'll do 14-15" instead.

Catherine
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:56 am

Funny , they’re both sitting there crouched over with still a foot of headroom .... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wolffarmer » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:50 pm

Poke Poke

Hey, I just found your new build thread and wondering how you doing. Are you using 2" foam?

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:15 pm

Wolffarmer wrote:Poke Poke

Hey, I just found your new build thread and wondering how you doing. Are you using 2" foam?

Randy

I haven't done anything lately, I've been busy herding kids through science fairs and engineering fairs and working too many weekends to make up for the ones I took off for the science and engineering projects. And my BFFL wants to use my loom for a project, so I had to find some missing pieces (it hasn't been used since the kids were born) and help her warp it.
:?
My dear step-dad is also wondering when I'm getting back to work, as the camper parts are in his garage now, waiting to be put together and put on the trailer. Yes, it's the 2" stuff. DSD will be out of town for a week in March (meaning I will have space to work where his car usually is), so I PROMISE to get back to work. The kids' spring break is the second week in April, and we'll do a bunch then, too. In fact, if we have closed a shell at that point, and the weather stays as unseasonably warm as it has been all psudo-winter, we'll probably camp at Bandelier National Monument (all of 10 min away) for a couple of nights.

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby atahoekid » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:05 pm

Even getting away close by is better than not getting away at all. :D :D
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:45 pm

:D
Hi, everyone!

Life keeps happening, so I am building at a snail's pace, but I keep tinkering away.
:phew:
Since I work alone, I often forget to take pictures. :oops: So just let me tell you where I am, and I'll try to find some pictures another time.

I bought the Northern Tools 5x8 trailer to give myself a wider footprint. It is already registered as an enclosed utility trailer. The floor is again ½ inch ply, but since I had to buy extra to make it 5 ft wide, I ran a cut-off sheet, 8 ft long down the center where we will walk, for extra support. Dear stepdad helped me with the floor and vinyl flooring, and is ready to help stand up the walls and get into the REALLY messy gluing. Wooden frames are installed in both side walls for the windows, and hard points are installed in the street-side interior wall. I want to put one more scrap on the outside rear to hang an attachment point for a side table. I have the interior of that wall all sanded and ready for skinning (in fact, I was sanding it tonight when a couple of missionaries drove me inside). Well, I was losing the light anyway.
:(
Oh, I have the pieces for the roof spliced, the edges rounded, and the top canvased. The interior of the top is canvased, too. Then when needed I'll just use a 6" wide strip of canvas to "tape" the joints.

Things I still need to do, well it's a long list. Install hard points in the curb-side wall, including another side table support on the outside. Sand, sand, sand. I plan to skin the front wall tomorrow after work, if it isn't raining. (Not that I'm complaining! We LIKE rain here in the dry west! But it does slow things down occasionally this time of year.) I'll also start routing out for the wooden hard points in the curb side wall. From experience, that'll take a couple of days! Then glue, and once it is dry, sand and canvas. Then the back wall, which includes the door, and I have all the parts from Penguino 1 for that, I just have to get to work on it. I had a 24" wide door in Penguino 1, but I think I'll go 30" this time. Oh, and canvas, canvas, canvas.

Bench seats will go along the sides and front, and will form a booth for dining and games and boy-plots and such. (Dear son still sees this as his boy cave when we aren't camping.) :lol: The bench seats from Penguino 1 are long gone (fortunately I have scrap foam to build more), but I still have the table top.

Good thing I already finished sanding tonight. Just writing out that list makes me tired! :lol:

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby bonnie » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:54 am

Sounds like great progress. Good plan too. Will love to see your pictures!
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:55 am

You're making progress despite life's challenges. That is a good thing. :thumbsup:
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:13 am

Vinyl flooring , wider footprint , rain , boy-cave... This is getting pretty Exciting !!! :woohoo:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Okay, in between showers I have indeed installed the stick (hard point) to hold the side table on the street side exterior. I'll sand it smooth tonight. I also canvased the exterior of the front wall. When that side is dry (which is slower than usual because we actually have humidity this time of year!) I'll flip it over and canvas the other side.

Still need to start the back wall. :D

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Catherine+twins » Sun Jul 20, 2014 5:46 pm

I was working on the front wall this morning. This is the canvas on the interior side.

[img]122618[/img]

Then we stopped for lunch. We haven't done much on the grill this summer, since we've been under burn restrictions from late May until last week. This was our first batch of charcoal since last summer.
:D
[img]122617[/img]

That's beer brats in the hotdog-cooker, and summer squash in the frying pan. Yum!

Then we had a couple of hours of thunder and lightning and showers, and now, at almost 5:00, it's clearing up again. The sun is up until about 8 pm, so I'll try to get some more work in.

Catherine
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies