PVC framing under Foam ...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: PVC framing under Foam ...

Postby GPW » Fri May 22, 2015 5:59 pm

What about all those Dental Floss farms ... ??? :o

Yes, this area is rife with petro business... as you can tell from our oil spills , eroding coastline .. and politicians who pander to Big Oil ... Truly an EVIL Empire ... I expect the whole thing will collapse in a huge sinkhole one day .. That is if the earthquakes and poisoned water don’t get us first ... :roll:
Ps. Despite what BP says , our coastline and marine life is ruined for many years to come , if not forever... :thumbdown:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Fri May 22, 2015 6:36 pm

No comment on Big Oil - you can always vote with your feet in this country - still :D

Dunno what Zappa was talking about. I've been here for 35 years and have yet to see any dental floss farms or Frank Zappa :?

As far as I know, he never made it here, despite his protestations. OTOH, wayyyyyy too many Californians have made it here, so now we have lots of art galleries, brick crosswalks downtown, 4 digit property taxes and 6 figure home prices. But Montana is a big place and there are still miles and miles of nothing.
Attachments
My home town.jpg
My home town.jpg (167.65 KiB) Viewed 389 times
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby Mary C » Fri May 22, 2015 8:52 pm

beautiful views, All I have is pine and hardwoods and lots of junkie woods.

Geep, I have a square frame I made out of PVC and this frame goes at the bottom of the changing tent and I would like to flatten the one I have to walk over.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat May 23, 2015 6:25 am

Fred , as an Artist , that’s just BEAUTIFUL !!! 8)
I don’t think a lot of folks knew what Frank was talking about ... :roll:

Mary, I learned how to heat shape PVC pipe from a guy on You Tube (check it out) ... " Backyard Bowyer " Once we saw that, the sky was the limit ... :thinking: I even made a wooden jig to press out recurved bow limbs from hot PVC ... :thumbsup: Many things you can make with flattened PVC pipe and it’s so cheap, no guilt about experimenting . ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Sat May 23, 2015 11:58 am

This area is actually 5,000 ft high desert == Spring is always pretty, green and fresh but it always comes late and it always snows :shock: Summer lasts another 2.5 months and it sometimes snows, everything dries up and turns tan-brown in the lowlands. That's fire season. The rest of the time it just snows :D

We have to be careful about air temp early in the day this time of year since it drops into the 40s or lower most nights and most glue & paint want it higher temp. Usually does not turn summery until back half of June. But it is very scenic and the flyfishing is some of the best in the world.
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Sun May 24, 2015 1:55 pm

... and back in the workshop ... I couldn’t help but to make another drawing depicting an idea of how PVC pipe could be used in place of wood for Foamie’ camper framing . That alone would make the cabin part entirely rot /waterproof , and yet allow for wiring runs and light duty attachment points . And as you can see with the drawing on the right how it could be almost “enclosed" in the wall . And inset into a floor for perfect alignment and joining. :thinking:

It would be easy to bend big graceful curves in PVC and inset that into Foam Teardrop sides for that distinctive shape and look with no hassle ... just a simple glue up.

Now all we need to do is come up with a really simple PVC Trailer Door frame and foam door ... ;) :thinking:
Attachments
PVCfoam.png
PVCfoam.png (84.12 KiB) Viewed 325 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Sun May 24, 2015 2:42 pm

That square PVC tubing you can buy on Amazon would work very nicely as a door outer frame and even ships in 2"x2"x48". George's flashing technique would work fine for the doorway edge. If you can find a reliably strong glue for PVC to foam. Wonder if you can heat PVC pipe enough to melt stryrofoam - get it to sink in and form it's own raceway & glue ?

http://www.amazon.com/Hollow-Rectangula ... 281&sr=8-2
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby Robot » Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:07 am

Here is my PVC framed foamie

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62852
Robot
Teardrop Advisor

Previous

Return to Foamies