Grits,more work getting done

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: OK, here goes: Grits

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:50 pm

:worship: .... :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Bogo » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:10 pm

On cutting the pink stuff without all the fluff. I've used some of the cheapest thin paring knives I could find. I figured I'd use them and pitch them. After cutting hundreds of feet of foam they are still reasonably sharp so I kept them. They have 3" long blades, came in a pack of 4, and were only sharpened from one side. Yes, that cheap. :lol: They have a flat side, and a bevelled side. I used a cutting guide, then cut with the knife's flat side against the guide, and the bevel facing away. That way the bevel pushed the blade into the guide. On 1/2" to 1" sheets I'd cut all the way through in one stroke. Thicker sheets I scored the foam to around half way through, then slipped a 2x4 under the cut line, and put a bit of down pressure on each side to slightly open up the cut line, and then cut it the rest of the way through. It hasn't been any problems to cut 2" thick foam this way. If you aren't to worried about the edge, you can just cut half way through and then bend the sheet at the cut line and it will break off relatively cleanly.
Bogo
500 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:25 pm

...serrated bread knives work too ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Wobbly Wheels » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:01 am

Bosch (prob others too) make straight edged knife blades for jigsaws. You get a nice uniform cut and there's no dust at all.
Wobbly Wheels
Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Fri Jun 07, 2013 11:05 am

Cool, WW. I didn't know that. Thanks.

Mary, your trailer is progressing well. Can't wait to see more.
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:48 am

No dust !!! Now that’s cool !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:28 pm

I got all the wood cut for the inside of the door but decided to make a jig so here's the pictures: Oh I used a wood rasp to get the problem spaces all leveled out (where I wobbled with the saw zall) It took a little while because of the heat but I managed to get it smooth.

I really am very safe with the saw. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:36 pm

Now for my own experiment:

I glued only one board to the inside of the door frame. When they have set up I will try one more, TBII Then I will decide which one I like the best.

I cannot stand GG I have ruined some very expensive stuff using it so I will find an alternative.

I have been a little under the weather and I am still doing other projects around the house but hopefully :worship: by morning one of these will be stuck enough I can turn the whole thing upside down and put titebond on the other side. Then I will wait 24 hours till hopefully it will be dry!!!

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks for all the suggestions on cutting the pink stuff, I used the saw zall and used a wood rasp to smooth out some of the waves but no problem. I tried cutting with just a sharp knife but because of my surgery on my wrist that didn't work. WW, I would have gone an got the knife cutting blades but, I decided to try what I had. my jig saw will not maintain a straight cut, the saw is way old and very rusty. One side of the plate is broken but I just use it to whack off little things. Now it is 100% humidity and the glue is not going to dry. It is raining buckets, just what I need but I think the boards I put on last night are tacky enough to turn the pink stuff upside down to glue the other board on to see how using TBII will work.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:24 pm

Ok I brought the sides in and glued up the other two pieces of wood inside of the door opening. I used TBII on the third one now to decide which one works the best. I believe the gripper works best on foam to foam. I have some other work to do but until I get to get a helper I am stuck. I can continue working on the doors and opening. I can cut the wood for the hatch as soon as I decide how I want the curve.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:50 am

Good progress Mary , keep going , it’ll happen ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:02 pm

Well if it is going to rain on me it pours...... not only literally but and in things go wrong. The drive chain belt or drive belt on my lawn mower broke today. it will cost a bunch to replace and it will take a little while too. The grasss will be up around my neck.

ok I am having trouble with my hatch plan. I wanted a nice curve but it doesn't look like that will happen. I need to cut it this week but ..............I cannot cut wood with the saw zall . the old jig saw I had died. I am not very happy right now. I was trying to finish putting the wood in the door area and had gone to trim a piece of wood and the wind blew the side over and the piece of foam on the bottom under the door broke. I did get it reglued and it is so bound up I will let it set for two days before I move it . The humidity is horrible.

I am now thinking of a sloped straight hatch. It will look like a sliding board. That is not what I want but it is not possible to make it curved. and before everyone jumps I can't afford to wait till the 26th to buy a jig saw. I am going to try to find one i can borrow tomorrow but I don't know anyone that has one that lives close. right now I have a circular saw and a saw zall. I did think I could cut a the boards then stack so I can cut two at a time with the saw zall. but I don't know if that will work and I only have one piece of chip board. gonna go sleep on it!!!!

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mezmo » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:42 am

Do the flat hatch now Mary, and then later when you have
the time and money you can redo it ... remember, these are
'never, ever, finally done' ! You'll probably think of a new little
modification you want to do every time you use it. Just
think of it as "perpetual personalization" !

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:31 am

Mary , one thing we’ve learned is you Don’t need expensive tools to work on a Foamie !!! Lately , we buy the cheapest tools I can find , and that works just fine for my needs.... just sayin’ if you’re buying a tool for your industrial Workshop (many uses ) then get a Good one ... for a foamie , cheap tools work and allows more Coin to be directed to the amenities ..JMHO.. FWIW ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Oldragbaggers » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:05 pm

I wish you lived near me Mary. You could borrow all my tools if you wanted. :( :(
Life is sooooo good.........
Sail...camp....bike...repeat
Becky

Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=45917
Visit our blog at http://www.oldragbaggers.com
Image Image
Oldragbaggers
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies