Grits,more work getting done

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: OK, here goes: Grits

Postby wagondude » Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:40 pm

The clutch is mostly for screw driving operations (such as drywalling) where you don't want to over-drive or strip the screw. It does come in handy when a drill bit binds up, though. It allows everything to come to a stop while the motor keeps turning so the handle doesn't try to twist out of your hand. What ever you get, also get a keyless chuck. I don't regret not having to hunt down the key that used to be duct taped to the plug end of the cord (can't use the key without un- plugging safety feature).
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Wolffarmer » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:15 pm

YOu unplug your drill????? That is what video and youtube is for.

Randy
"these guys must be afraid of the dark"
Wolffarmer
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:13 pm

Bill thank you for explaining that Now I know, of course I could of told you about the twisting your hand and wrist and arm boy experience is the teacher but honestly didn't know the ins and outs. Just that it felt like *^$%^&*&^% I was gonna die at first!! but now I am sorry to say but the reason I got the drill with a key is because both of my wrists have had surgery and I can barely hold the pliers to open a bottle of water. The Surgeries took all my strength away. I do ok with a leaver but to just tighten and loosen, NO NO NO. with the key I can just push with the heel of my hand to tighten or loosen. It is horrible when you get old!!!

I am going camping next or this weekend on the 25- 27th about 26 miles from home, Lake Coleman in the Talladaga forest off I20 . I am so excited. just an impromptu camp out. I will be very busy this week getting Grits ready, the doors are off and I still need so much to do but oh well I need this break too!!!

I will also get my solar panels Friday AM ..........

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Shar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:32 am

:applause: hurray, camping already!
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:39 am

Getting Old’s not so bad, you just have to adapt to doing things “differently” ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:25 am

Wolffarmer wrote:YOu unplug your drill????? That is what video and youtube is for.

Randy

I used to. Haven't unplugged since going keyless. But I have a two handed chuck, so no hand near the trigger.

Mary, most if not all of the drills with clutches will have the keyless chuck. If you find that you need the keyed type, they can be changed out. I'm sure you have a friend near by that could help out with that.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:22 pm

I am finishing up my doors and must hang them on Thursday morning. I am putting on the back clasp tomorrow and drilling holes for some eye bolts and and my wood disk for holding up my tire. I have a lot to do. I also gotta go pay bills and go buy and get some other things I am also going to see if I can find some material I need and then I start packing Thursday......BUSY TOO Busy........ but a nice relaxing weekend. I don't know if I can handle it. My dog will love it!!!

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby S. Heisley » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:27 pm

wagondude wrote:The clutch is mostly for screw driving operations (such as drywalling) where you don't want to over-drive or strip the screw. It does come in handy when a drill bit binds up, though. It allows everything to come to a stop while the motor keeps turning so the handle doesn't try to twist out of your hand. What ever you get, also get a keyless chuck. I don't regret not having to hunt down the key that used to be duct taped to the plug end of the cord (can't use the key without un- plugging safety feature).

Okay, so I guess my cheap little drill may at least have a clutch. Thanks for the explanation! :)
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:00 pm

I am so happy for you , Sharon. I now know that I will get one with the clutch. I will give it to my son after I get a new one. but that will be a while. I have had to put a little trim around my windows on the outside. I will post pictures tomorrow. They are in the glue stage right now.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:33 am

Mary , one of the annoying things about a clutch (screw gun they’re called here) When drilling , if the drill binds , the tendency is to tighten up the clutch instead of clearing the bind, which only results in the torque you had with the regular drill ... :duh:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:27 pm

Mary,

Many new cordless drills come with assist handles on the side to keep people from damaging their wrists. You could also just add one to your existing drill using a big metal hose clamp arround the body of the drill to hold down some sort of handle.

That gives you two directions of grip on the drill without having to get a new drill. :)

Laura
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby Shar » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Laura, great to know that they're making 'em like that! And Mary, I can hardly wait to see the latest changes in Grits!
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby atahoekid » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:05 pm

Mary C wrote:All I know is that the drill is dangerous with a 1 1/2 paddle drill bit with no clutch.
Mary C. :lady:

When you work with a paddle bit of that size going slowly is important. Someone once told me that you should never use larger than a 1/2" paddle bit with a hand held drill. The larger ones were meant for drill presses. I forget who told me that but I think about it since the torque issue can be dangerous (as you found out...) :shock: :( Hope you're feeling better... :beer:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Thu May 15, 2014 8:07 pm

first my wrist, it is much better now but there is a position I get it in once in a while and there is pain ouch. It will heal !!!

now on to my stuff since I last wrote here...........

I went camping and ran into a couple from Buchanan HE HE

Bob and Reggie

unfortunately Geoff and Kim had left when I went to take their picture. maybe I will get their picture later

I went to take a shower and well you decide, lets just say I didn't. The push button for water last about 7 seconds go figure

Then I had to do some cleaning that means all had to come down with help,

Then I went to Bremen and saw lots of signs and went to an estate sale Last day 50% off my total $6.00

120203 The lid fits both

I wasn't looking but was just telling the manager about my TD and mentioned the mouse boat I mentioned I could use a couple of the foam blocks.................well he gave with the promise to show him the finished boat.

I was looking out in the old barn and ran across this. The top is not repairable but I will use it for just a container and my brother said he would "build me a top out of wood" I called Tuppaware and they said they couldn't find just a lid.

I hope this catches Y'all up to date on the pictures.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby mezmo » Thu May 15, 2014 11:31 pm

Great bargains!

That tall cast iron pot will make you the absolute
best pot roast! One of my late Aunts used a similar
one for her pot roasts and they were always fabulous!
They'd turn any vegetarian into a meat eater.

Cheers
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies