The Big Pink, Foamie !

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: the big Pink ... puttin' on canvas

Postby Mary C » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:15 am

Please, with pictures too! You did such a great job!!!

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tac422 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:46 pm

Well I spent several hours workin on the TD, and managed to get the Left side done.
All I've done was follow what I learned here ... :D I learned from the best ! :thumbsup:
I used vnyal spackle to fill any imperfections, and painted on a heavy coat of straight TB2. I had pinned the canvas up top so it would drop in the right place, and then lowered it onto the glue. I pinned it at the bottom using quilting straight pins (bigger than regular straight pins, from Walmart) to make sure the bottom didn't move. Then I used a plastic scraper, and my hands to smooth it out. Went over it many times to get and keep it where I wanted.
I used thinned TB2 where ever I knew I was gonna cut, at the doors, wheel wells, and windows. I let it dry before cutting so there was no fraying.

Heres the right side almost ready for paint.

I don't have any seams showing since I had 6' canvas, so the sides are 1 piece, and the whole top will be 1 piece. It'll overlap in the detent on the plastic at the edges , like this...

I haven't done the top yet, this was just a test.
tac422
500 Club

Postby KCStudly » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:51 pm

Thank you. That is very reassuring. You are doing a great job. :thumbsup: :applause:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby wagondude » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:54 pm

Awesome job, Tac. The drywall edging really makes nice clean lines. I don't think I ever would have thought of that. :thumbsup: Can't wait to see it with paint on it.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:03 pm

Love it!!! :applause: :applause: :applause: I know my next build will be much slower and a lot more time will go into it.

Now I am learning from you. :wine: :wine: :wine:

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:40 am

tac422 wrote:
I don't have any seams showing since I had 6' canvas, so the sides are 1 piece, and the whole top will be 1 piece. It'll overlap in the detent on the plastic at the edges , like this...

I haven't done the top yet, this was just a test.

Again, please. When you do it full scale, please let us see pics. It looks so clean and neat. Seams were the one thing I didn't really figure out too well. The caps at the corners just hide the ugliness of the seams
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:24 am

Man that's nice. Had almost decided to buy canvas in widths appropriate to the areas being covered so I wouldn't have to deal with seams in the middle of a panel. You've solidified that for me. Very, very nice.
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:01 pm

Yes, very nice and clean. Great job! :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:32 pm

I know now I will build another one and I hope it is half as neat as yours. Your edges are really great. I am spirited away. you are doing such a great job, simply marvelous!!! :applause: :applause: :wine:

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby tac422 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:04 pm

I was able to canvas the top today, a 19' piece of canvas. Whew ! I'm glad thats over !
I cut it to length, and draped it over the TD. I had made a mark (red line) down the left side to give me a guide when I was ready to cut it. I used thinned TB 2 on about a 2" stripe where I thought I was going to cut it. Since that shrunk the canvas, I sprayed the whole canvas while draped using a weed sprayer. It shrunk about 3/4 of an inch in width.

After letting it dry overnight , I used two fence boards since they were lightweight and 6' long , and rolled the canvas to the top of the TD.
I jacked the front of the TD up high so it was easier to apply the glue, and reach closer to the top.

I painted full strength TB2 and unrolled the canvas.

I used a plastic craper, and my hands to smooth the canvas. I lined the canvas up on the right hand side, and smoothed to the left. I then trimmed the canvas on the left using a razor, and smoothed everything down

The canvas extends under the front and back of the TD and is glued to the wood frame. All foam is completly enclosed in canvas.

What type of paint should I use on the outside ?
Can I use interior Semi-gloss latex ? I have several gallons already setting around...
or should it be exterior paint ? semi gloss ? Oil based ?
I welcome all comments or thoughts !
Last edited by tac422 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tac422
500 Club

Postby Mary C » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:23 pm

Exterior, I am using Glidden gripper I want the extra protection of the water proofing.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:25 pm

A Good brand of EXTERIOR Latex will give you good protection , a Nice finish , and is easy to work with and clean up ... AND you really should use a primer first or the canvas will soak up the paint like a sponge...and like Mary says ^ it adds waterproofing ... the more the better ... We always use a GLOSS latex believing it gives a more durable finish over time ... But all that’s up to your tastes and needs ... ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:31 am

I used a water downed tb2 on top of the canvas. After that dried I put on primer, then painted. :wine:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:31 pm

I will attest to the fact that canvas sucks up a ton of primer. I'm building a mounting bar for the rear awning. I primed it over the weekend and was shocked at how much primer soaks in. Unfortunately, that's all I'm getting done on this short weekend. Hopefully you get lots more done than I
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:00 am

All a matter of economics ... primer is inexpensive compared to good paint ... No primer and you have to use Lots more paint , and the weave isn’t filled in as well , (rougher surface with just paint ) ... In the old days (waay back ) we used oil based White Lead as a primer , and it worked really Great , but was Poisonous, and took forever to dry ... (Lead =Pb ) :frightened: The new Acrylic primers are so easy to use , and work well without all the hazards .. 8)
Which brings up the question of shellac based primers , which don’t seem to bother foam (alcohol based) , and are SANDABLE ... so several coats over canvas with some sanding “should" leave a really well filled , smooth surface , although we haven’t tried that yet on a trailer :NC ... With Latex primers , you must wait weeks/months for it to cure hard enough to sand well ... Same for Latex paint ...
Just sayin’ ... surface preparation is Everything , when it comes to a good paint job ... :thumbsup:

* NOTE: With Foamies' , whenever you buy any paint , also get some paint strainers... just to get out all those tiny foam bits/ etc. that gets into the paint inadvertently ... If you ask , they usually throw in some strainers and mixing paddles for free.. :thumbsup:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies