Duck Tear canvas question

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Duck Tear canvas question

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:18 am

JST , I think the trick is in the STRETCHING and smoothing ... We stretch as much as we “practically” can (without distorting the fabric) when applying canvas or any covering , then Smooth out the air bubbles underneath with a hand or squeegee ... It’s just like doing fiberglass really , as you Have to smooth it out before the glue dries ... ;) Covering is not easy to get perfect , takes a little practice , but is so easy to repair it really doesn't matter ... :thinking:
On the panels you have , I’d try soaking the bubbled areas with a wet towel over the top , which will soften the glue ... then try ironing the bubbles down with a damp cloth under the iron. Carefully !!! Don’t use so much heat that it melts the foam .... and as with everything else around here , you might want to test that on a piece of scrap first ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:38 pm

Yes, please do test and give us your results. I will stand by my original idea though don't use your ladies Iron. She may use it on you. :frightened: and as usual please take pictures :pictures: :pictures:

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:43 am

just came across a post this weekend that says EPS foam (pink or blue) continues to off gas for a while after it is made, the outer layer traps this gas, but glue solvents can allow the gas out, causing bubbles under the glued on layers. I think I've never seen this as I perforate the surface of the foam before gluing, which releases the off-gassing before it can cause problems
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:28 pm

rowerwet wrote:just came across a post this weekend that says EPS foam (pink or blue) continues to off gas for a while after it is made, the outer layer traps this gas, but glue solvents can allow the gas out, causing bubbles under the glued on layers. I think I've never seen this as I perforate the surface of the foam before gluing, which releases the off-gassing before it can cause problems

:thinking: Interesting I might have to try this before I start coveing the sides and top of the 11'x6'6" Teardrop

I have to get the doors back on in the next couple days boubles or not so I'm ready for the gathering this weekend, one of these years I'll not be working on the camper the day before ( or of ) leaving for a gathering
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies