Queen bed means ~ 68" wide trailer?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Queen bed means ~ 68" wide trailer?

Postby KCStudly » Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:32 pm

Yes, I believe it is Bob Henry that likes to remind people that it is not like your freestanding bed at home where you have learned not to sleep too close to the edge. In a TD there is no chance of falling out, so you can use more of the bed than at home.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby BrianM » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:06 pm

Well, no worries about using that trailer. I've seen Pretzels with fewer bends. the right frame rail was higher than the left, pushed further forward from the left, they were both bent in towards one another And each frame rail had a Very obvious upward curve.

So, back to reading.
:beer:

Brian
BrianM
Teardrop Inspector

Postby rowerwet » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:19 pm

set a craigslist search on http://www.list-alert.com/ for "tent trailer", when one comes up for super cheap money or free, you have your trailer. I have searches for tent trailer, free firewood (you should see my back yard), and wood splitter, I get at least one email a day. Last week a tent trailer with worn out fabric was up for $50, if I was looking I would have taken it. I already have a spare sitting in the back yard.
The trailer I haul my firewood home in is also a free tent trailer,
I tore it down,
scrapped the metal for a few bucks, added a deck and rails. Hauling wood in a trailer kills it, unless it is a super heavy duty one, it isn't worth buying one for wood.
However if it is free, and you have a spare waiting to go, load that sucker up,112517
just stick to the back roads and drive slow. It is still using the original tires...
If the trailer ever does fail, out comes the sawz-all, I make a few bucks more in scrap, and the next trailer is converted.

Most tent trailers are wide, the one I have as a utility trailer now has frame rails 5' wide, then the tires are outside that, there are frame extensions that make it 6' wide overall. Some quick work with a sawzall would resize it to 5' wide for my teardrop if I wanted.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:31 am

Great (Thrifty) way to get a trailer !!! :thumbsup: 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GerryS » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:53 am

I'm a out the same size as you, and my wife tends to sleep diagonally. So your worries worries were the same as mine. We've become spoiled with a king size at home and was afraid of feeling cramped as well.

It's not the case at all. I cheated and bough a camp-inn 560 (we were "building" for years...just gave up and wrote a check...a lot faster for us). The camp inn mattress is 6ft6 by 58. But I think it's like a tardis, because once your inside it feels like a lot more width than that. As pointed out earlier, you've got the hard wide walls, so you don't have to avoid the edges to keep from rolling out of bed. It really does make a huge difference.

Length is a different discussion. Now, camp-inns have a couch that lies more or less flat to the mattress, so I've got another 18" or so that you may or may not have....I do find myself edging up in the night and using that extra space. It might be different though if there was a "headboard"

I wouldn't sweat width at all. I think I would still recommend building a couple extra inches into the length if you can.
GerryS
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies