ZEPHYR...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: ZEPHYR...

Postby GPW » Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:50 pm

Sorry I sorta’ “dropped the ball” on this project :oops: ... Just so many “other” things going on around here... and then the grain of the salvaged cardboard didn’t work out like we wanted for the Model, only allowing a 12” (1”=1’) model, and we wanted one Twice that size.. @ 24” (2”=1’) ... Bigger pieces...easier to build to scale (easier to find wheels for ).. I still really believe in the concept and still have that other empty trailer in the yard :roll: ... It’ll happen , just SLOW developing ... :duh:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby TeriL » Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:51 pm

Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:18 am
We started searching for some framing wood .. Thinking of making the framing all Cypress , because it’s readily available around here... either re-cycled or dragged out of the bayou and cut up ... The native cypress seems very resistant to bugs and rot , and is a pretty butterscotch color too. A chance to use a clear finish on the framing for that "wood look” inside ... 8)
And since there are a lot of old cypress houses being torn down here , we get to re-cycle the Old growth wood which IMHO is even better ... and Thrifty ... Ripped on a table saw, and run through a planer, it becomes Beautiful again..
If I start scavenging materials now , by the time we’re ready to start the build , we’ll have all we need... We may even get Lucky and find some Cypress T&G flooring we can make the floor out of (no Plywood ) ... Still wanting to try a board floor , like the old timers used ... :thinking: My little Steel CT has a board floor and although it lives Outside , the boards are still in perfect shape ...
Just some considerations of this future build ... That extra trailer in the yard deserves a cabin ... Which will be essentially be some traditional “boat building “ in this case ...

WWHHAATTT?? Not a foamie? From Captain Foamie himself? Or is it Admiral Foamie? :o

-- Teri
Our reach should exceed our grasp or what is a heaven for? -- Marshall McLuhan
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby TeriL » Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:04 pm

Postby High Desert » 12 Oct 2013, 19:11
Oooh, I like this one GPW. Would be perfect on an old boat trailer and look cool rolling down the road. Could even have an integral front storage with the addition of a forward access hatch. I like the centered rear door idea, with side galleys like you did in the FS. And as mentioned, a small drop floor section inside the door could make it a proper standy for a few feet. 8)

and yes, I do like the possible Trek inspired theme :lol:

Like this:

Actually the rear ramp has possibilities. Maybe having some feet on the end to keep it level for more non muddy/dusty work/camping area. Sockets for poles for an awning ... :thinking:

-- Teri
Our reach should exceed our grasp or what is a heaven for? -- Marshall McLuhan
TeriL
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:10 am

Yes , like that ..... :thumbsup: 8) 8) 8) Seeing that picture made me think of those lower outboard pontoons ‘ , would/could be used as a fender and storage unit ... :NC Rear ramp sounds great and may (or may not) be Easy to pull off with a “carry on trailer “ which already has a ramp ... :thinking:

While , we somehow got off on the Star trek theme, the original intent was more a FAT inverted Boat ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:14 am

Starting on the Zephyr model .... 2” = 1’ ... Got the side laid out ready for cutting !... :D
Attachments
Zephyrside.JPG
Zephyrside.JPG (80.1 KiB) Viewed 1276 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:32 am

Rib layout marked... The bottom rounded part of the side is the “skirt (optional) .
Attachments
Zepribs.JPG
Zepribs.JPG (153.96 KiB) Viewed 1296 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:09 am

I like the profile, especially with the optional skirt board. That makes a nice graceful outline. :thumbsup:

Is the pointy part at the front accessible from outside thru a hatch like a tongue box or forward "boot" (as the pommies call it)?

Seems to me that this would be the best way to access that area w/o bumping your head (unless I am underestimating the scale factor). :thinking:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:32 am

Parts cut out , plus temporary wall to indicate true shape ... :thinking:
KC, the front could be like the trunk of a car with a hatch or just a storage area at the head of the bed...Thinking some adjustments will be made as we see how it actually comes together... So far (scale ) 12’ long, 6’ wide , 4.5’-5’ wide across the top (not sure yet) ... 5’ tall inside ... not a standy' , nor a squatty... in between ... sorta’... :roll:
Attachments
Zeparts.JPG
Zeparts.JPG (145.27 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:11 pm

I can give you a few tips on how to bend the skins! :lol: :lol: :lol:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:17 pm

OK, I’m counting on that KC !!! ;)
Balsa floor retainers glued on (T2) ... former wall glued in (temporarily) ...
Attachments
Zepsmbly.JPG
Zepsmbly.JPG (221.64 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Olddog1 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:33 pm

GPW, this place just amazes me. Can't do much but plan for the Foamstead as I'm leaving out day after tomorrow for Maine. Lately the thinking has been about the framing then I open this thread and you've proposed almost the same thing I was thinking. Especially appreciate the thought on the gussets. In bouncing the idea around I had an idea of sandwiching the side frame and the arched top frame between 2 gussets which would leave that void that would need to be filled. Can't leave a place for the spiders to set up housekeeping. Then you suggest sandwiching the gusset between the frame members, perfect. I threw the first model together with card stock I had on hand but I'm thinking about a larger and more accurate scale model. I have a friend in a frame shop and cardstock is there for the asking. It would be nice having a frame for a better idea of dimensions but not much luck yet. You would think being here in Florida with all the boats around that trailer would be easy to find but no luck yet.

Thanks, Lamar
Olddog1
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:40 pm

Check the boat places , usually they have a bunch of old trailers in the back , but you’ll have to “haggle" to get a good price ... Boat dealers just as bad as RV dealers ... :roll:

Been building models for many many years now , the only way I can really visualize a drawing in 3D .. and on the way can work out construction details... :thinking:

6’ wide and 12’ long , this is going to have almost the floor space of the FoamStream ... :o BIG inside ... :thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:32 pm

... and i was moving right along , till I ran out of cardboard ... :oops:
Attachments
Zepglue .JPG
Zepglue .JPG (196.34 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:42 am

So, we used what we did have , some 1/4” Pink foam (FFF) that we had lying around ... Foam ... imagine that ... ??? :NC ... :lol:

Got it done , like the shape , and with the foam and a heat gun used cautiously, we were able to bend the foam around and under the trailer... Full scale equivalent would be 1” foam , which should be able to do the same ... :thinking: Considering all the edges would be well rounded and smooth ,I think this might work out really well ... The combination of the trapezoid cross section shape and the rounded nose /roof , makes for a strong structure... :thumbsup: 8)
For non-Foamlings , this could be easily done in wood too ( :frightened: ) , like building a flatboat upside down ... Simple !!!

Ps. really like how the roof flares into the sides at the nose ... 8) The little overhang at the back keeps the rain off the barn doors ... and may decrease drag somewhat (schmaybe’ ? ) :D Thinking a spiffy paint job would make it really COOL !!! It does have that “shuttle” look eh ?
Attachments
DSCF0046.JPG
DSCF0046.JPG (149.95 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
DSCF0047.JPG
DSCF0047.JPG (159.06 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
DSCF0049.JPG
DSCF0049.JPG (150.92 KiB) Viewed 1210 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:55 am

.. and the underside which shows the skirt protruding below the floor ... sorry , not a very interesting photo ... Extensive use of Hot Glue evident from all the “threads" ... :oops:
Attachments
DSCF0050.JPG
DSCF0050.JPG (180.46 KiB) Viewed 1209 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies