ZEPHYR...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: ZEPHYR...

Postby atahoekid » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:38 pm

For my likes (remember I have the propensity to overbuild), I think the gussets are an excellent idea. The quarter round at the bottom could be used to feature some "decorative" wood trim along the bottom edge (maybe add a ledger board for looks, well waterproofed and finished, though). Should look great against the canvas. 8) :thumbsup:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:10 pm

OK, here’s the drawing , showing the gusset ... Remember , it has to be installed BETWEEN the framing members .... won’t work any other way ... unless you make filler blocks (that’s a PIA) :roll:
Attachments
Zepframing.png
Zepframing.png (68.29 KiB) Viewed 1807 times
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 am

Just another drawing , again :roll: ... working out the details and possibilities ... :thinking: Still in the planning stage .... We’d most welcome anybody wanting to throw their $.02 in ... :thinking:

Ps. I’d really like to try those little FAT pop up tires on this ... 8) Shouldn’t be any heavier than a pop up .... maybe Lighter ...? :o
Attachments
ZP4.png
ZP4.png (55.96 KiB) Viewed 1770 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:31 pm

It is almost funny ...but not really... how as soon as we start looking at some of the details, even a very simple design starts to become more and more complex.

I'm wondering about the basic layout, low and wide with the sleeping in the front and the doors in the back. Is that going to be convenient for crawling or doing the sumo squat walk to make your way forward?
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:41 pm

KC, I dunno’ ... ? 5’tall inside is pretty big really , like inside my first wooden TD ... just for convenience the side(s) could be fitted with a door , or maybe one of those commercial TD window/doors .. That would be kinda’ Cool, but a little pricy ... :thinking:

Simple , nothing’s really SIMPLE is it !!! Like tossing a pumpkin ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:46 am

OOOHHH!!!! :shock: :D 8) It is getting close to the pumpkin chuckin' time of the year.... :applause: :applause: :applause:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:21 am

Zep with “commercial “ door ... kinda’ Nice really !!! 8)
Attachments
Z6.png
Z6.png (17.13 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
door.png
door.png (208.49 KiB) Viewed 1679 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:12 am

Gotta’ admit I like the side doors, KC ... it definitely would be one of those raid the “piggy" bank for items , just because they look Cool !!! ...Or, may be able to DIY ... or just have one (curbside) door($$$) and the two back doors (Foamie’)... The only reason for those is , you could actually use the trailer to HAUL materials around..more full size sheets of foam , plywood , lumber, etc. ..when needed ... Multitasking for the "new age"... It is a “trailer” eh !!! :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:15 am

I'm sure that you could make some very well represented side doors using thrifty methods and materials!

It will take time, but you enjoy building things and are only going to build another after you finish, so you might as well build doors. Take it as a challenge to prove that making your own doors can be A LOT less costly than just buying factory made. So many people use the excuse, "by the time I was done it cost almost as much and took so much longer that I should have just bought factory doors"... you need to show them the way. :thumbsup:

The major cost factors are windows, latches, hinges, and seals. We know that you have plenty of good ideas for great functioning windows (we've seen the sketches); hinges only cost a lot if you use high end stuff; seals can be basic (... but I went with TrimLok and justified it as being trim and seal all in one, no alum to buy, no fasteners needed); latches could be a hard wood double toggle swing bolt with a simple pin on the inside to lock.

:thinking:

I find myself more and more wanting to build a second, but go the total polar opposite from TPCE. Something like Lilgription's OSP, or what drew me to the forum, the weekender. The OSP has cargo utility as well.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:38 am

You’re right !!! a couple factory TD doors and several windows would be over a “Large” ($1K)... :o Just for that ... Silly huh ?? :roll: More Fun to make the things we need , and the more we build the more we’re learning how to do a better job of it .. Thanks to all your detailed pics KC , we can now better visualize the individual parts and how they all fit together , and what we need to do to them Before we try the assembly ... ;)

OSP looks somewhat familiar ??? We’ve seen that shape before ... somewhere...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby R_W » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:20 pm

Have you looked at truck toppers/caps/shells (whatever your local term is) on Craigslist? You can get a topper with 2 good sliding side windows w/screens and a 4' hurricane hinge in back (if you pick the right brand) for $50 if look.
R_W
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:00 am

RW, we’re just running through the ideas now ... likely once we establish the “budget” for the build, we WILL be resorting to some “salvage” ... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:31 pm

GPW,

:applause: I like the new design. Sort of reminds me of the front end of the first generation TGV trains:

With the above in mind, what if you tapered/narrowed the the design toward the front? :thinking: It may make it appear a little more sleaker and less like a wedge.

Of course it would add crazy complexity to the construction. :? Translated that means time and $> ...neither of which I have very much of.

Take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby GPW » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:23 pm

Tom , it will be close -ish’ anyway ... sorta’ ... :lol: Figuring the slanted sides and rounded edges will help ... wish I could draw better , maybe do a completed drawing of what it would look like finished ...
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Ned B » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:53 pm

poking my nose in on your next project. Looks cool!

(now that i've posted it will be on my 'list' and therefore easier to follow...)
Ned B
1000 Club
1000 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies