ZEPHYR...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: ZEPHYR...

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:47 am

Welcome Ned !! This trailer is all Nose ... :lol:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:13 am

Here’s a little drawing to show how the Zep’ might look ... The basic shape , no windows or doors as yet ...
Attachments
Zephyrcartoon.png
Zephyrcartoon.png (162.3 KiB) Viewed 1477 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:29 am

.. and with a door drawn in ... (optional)
Attachments
Zephyrcartoon2.png
Zephyrcartoon2.png (164.61 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:19 am

And naturally , one for the Trekkers’ ... 8) just exploring the possibilities ... :thinking:

Wiki : Zephyr ..."A light wind or west wind “...
Attachments
Zephyrcartoontrek.png
Zephyrcartoontrek.png (168.86 KiB) Viewed 1439 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:45 am

Watch out for doors with the hinge not plumb. The door will swing and slam closed or smash into the side of the camper, unless provisioned accordingly.

Just saying.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:57 am

Good Tip KC !!! Have to watch for that !!!  Guess it’s worse on clamshell doors eh ? finger eaters... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby clermont cubby » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Kind of reminds my of the "lil snoozy." Built out of fiberglass by former boat manufacturers.

lil snoozy.jpg
lil snoozy.jpg (29.89 KiB) Viewed 1415 times
clermont cubby
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:31 pm

It’s just an inverted boat eh Cubby ??? ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:17 am

Cubby, is that one a rear entry only trailer , no side door? That was our original idea , which might involve a bit of crawling around, and from our previous Van experiences , the floor of a Sleeper like this will likely be padded well and carpeted , making crawling around much easier (comfortable ) ... ;)
That and having only the doors in the rear eliminates KC’s finger eating problem of self closing doors :frightened: ,the expense or labor of adding side doors , and weather sealing problems as the back doors will be protected Under the rear overhang ... Simple and Thrifty !!!

Now it would be possible to add another foot of so of height and make it a Standy’ ... But for me 5’ is tall enough , and I can comfortably sit in any folding chair inside , and still have my cowboy hat on ... a lesson I learned with my first 6’X12’ wooden TD which was that height inside and very Roomy actually ... ;)

Remember all these are just “ideas" , nothing chiseled in stone... Just a "design exercise" so far ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby clermont cubby » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:38 am

GPW:

Yes rear entry only. Bunk forward. I think my favorite size TD is 5wX5hx10L. Larry
clermont cubby
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:56 am

Thanks Larry, that’s a COOL trailer !!! 8) Guess you’d have to crawl around in there too eh ? ... but then you’d do much the same in a tent huh? :thinking:

Sitting here at the computer in my standard desk chair , I have 5’tall marked on the bookcase next to it , and that’s pretty tall , a good 6” over my head , and I’m 6’3” ... 4’ is just too short, and 6’+ (as on the FS) is waaay up there... :o 5’ is a nice compromise , with maybe even a chance of pulling it in the garage , if the trailer is low enough ... one reason I’m considering those small FAT pop up tires , inverting the springs, getting it Low .... there won’t be much weight on the trailer anyway (Foamie’) ... :thinking:

That and it’s nice to be able to wash the roof without having to climb a ladder... Old people and ladders = No bueno !!! :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sat Oct 12, 2013 10:46 am

Carpets and rugs beats the tent things on knees like roots, rocks, sticks and pine cones any day. my knees just wont take that anymore. My friends told me once to get a tent that I could stand up in so I did, HA! I then had to get down to my sleeping bag to sleep and found the rocks sticks roots and pine cones, then someone said get a cot and then it was squeak , squeak , squawk, moan and groan and it was hard and cold. It took me an hour and a half to set it up then two hours to pack it up then days for the bruised elbows and knees to heal, I am so glad I have a TD now. At any height inside it is Better, Much Better. I like the Zephyr I think it is cool and I think the idea of the side doors are really neat but......it would be difficult to achieve since you have so aptly put . the back door option is ok and you could put the kitchen like Bob Henry's in his barn.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby clermont cubby » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:04 pm

[quote="GPW"]Cubby, is that one a rear entry only trailer , no side door? That was our original idea , which might involve a bit of crawling around, and from our previous Van experiences , the floor of a Sleeper like this will likely be padded well and carpeted , making crawling around much easier (comfortable ) ... ;)

Suppose on could drop the floor at the rear of the trailer to give some additional height. :roll:

Larry
clermont cubby
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:47 pm

That’s an idea , you maybe could have the whole door drop down in the back , just so you wouldn’t have to climb over the threshold .. :thinking: ... you could walk in more normally and then crawl up on the bed... that’s not so bad ... Not Simple to do , but entirely Possible ... 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby High Desert » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:11 pm

Oooh, I like this one GPW. Would be perfect on an old boat trailer and look cool rolling down the road. Could even have an integral front storage with the addition of a forward access hatch. I like the centered rear door idea, with side galleys like you did in the FS. And as mentioned, a small drop floor section inside the door could make it a proper standy for a few feet. 8)

and yes, I do like the possible Trek inspired theme :lol:
Shaun

"it's not the years honey, it's the mileage"
High Desert
Platinum Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies