ZEPHYR...

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: ZEPHYR...

Postby Shar » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:41 pm

Yup, it's a beauty.
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:37 am

Contemplating the Zep build further , we found a nice wood for the framing ... Alaskan Cedar .... Nice stuff , Light ,uniform, strong , bug resistant , and best of all pretty Cheap .. Accepts glue and paint really well .. cuts and works easily , nice light uniform color.
The frame on this one is important , it could be built frameless (maybe? ), but that’s some Big pieces to be trying to handle and get straight ... 6’X12' on this one :o Frame makes it easy to have something to fit the foam sheets to ... if the frame is straight , the whole trailer has to be straight ... Right? And then there’s all the interior stuff we can screw and bolt to the frame ... (for the convenience of not having to install hard points everywhere... )
The more we look, the more this is just a Boat upside down (sorta’? ) Nothing unusual here ... a “house" boat ... :lol:

Being Winter and all now , I really think we Need this one to fit in the garage .... just so we can use that space indoors too (Sports Bar :beer: ) ... It’s much easier to heat (or cool) a foamie trailer than a whole garage ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:55 am

Getting on in the Hurricane season with No storms locally ... as yet :roll: ... The Cooler Fall weather awaited to start a new building project ... The Zephyr ... new Thinking has resulted in an even WIDER trailer , and the idea that it could eventually be added to to create even more space ... :thinking: Still in the “thinking“ stage ... Think twice build once !!! ( This will be our third Foamie and fourth TTT )
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:39 am

Glenn,

Why the Zephyr?

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:50 am

Mike , I just like the shape ... should be easy to build , big enough . Just like some of the older drawings in my album ... and theoretically , it should tow easily ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:29 am

We realize the Zep' is not like the other trailers , and may not work for everybody’s needs , so we don’t expect anyone to build one ... except me naturally ... :thinking: For me it will be big enough to fulfill my camping needs , should something happen to the FoamStream .. (unlikely) It’s fairly aerodynamic for a box , so should tow well ( more MPG) , The slanted sides and lower profile allow it to dodge troublesome crosswinds , and fit into a garage with a standard opening... The Big doors at the back will allow it to be used to haul more materials for even more trailer building (the addiction) ... Foamies' are like potato chips , you can’t have just one ... :thumbsup: 8) :D

Ps. anyone ever think of converting their campers to playhouses for the kiddies in the off season .... multitasking ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shar » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:20 pm

No way! I love mine too much to let the grandbabies at it! :frightened:
Sheryl
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:55 am

Sorry , it was just a thought for the children ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby PKCSPT » Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:54 am

I do let the grandkids watch a movie in the tear but not a playhouse. They think it is pretty neat to be in there so they settle down so as not to get kicked out.
121172 116946 159644
PKCSPT
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:39 pm

Just to clarify my previous statement , playhouses for the kiddies ... Naturally we're talking about a place for peaceful activities like little girls to have tea and store their teddies ... :roll: Nothing destructive you understand ... Just to get the young ones acclimated to the camper ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Catherine+twins » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:18 pm

My 13-yo refers to my camper as his "man cave," but mostly he goes in there to lie on the bunk and play computer games. Now that he has discovered the unually un-used battery pack for his and his grandfather's telescope (we learned this weekend the the portable DVD player we have used in the car for years will play at least 7 DVDs and the power pack still isn't dead!), I'm sure some video time with his friends is coming up.

Of course, he could run an extension cord from the house, but that hasn't occurred to him yet. It's a camper without electricity... :lol:

Catherine
Build Thread Penguino II: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=54919
Build Thread Penguino I: viewtopic.php?t=44431
"Oh, let's just stay here and sing camp songs for a while." 1966, My mom in Isle Royale, MN, in a women's bath house with a momma bear and two cubs outside the door, and three tired kids trapped inside
"Dad! Dad! There's a bear outside!" 1967, Lolo Hot Springs, MT, in a tent-top trailer
"Oh, no, there it goes!!" Nov 10, 2012 as Penguino I blew over in high winds
Catherine+twins
The 300 Club

Postby Shar » Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:58 pm

Thus far my grandkids are too small for me to feel safe about them playing in the trailer, but I did build them a playhouse of their own- Some people think that it's a teardrop on first sight. :)
Attachments
playhouse2.JPG
playhouse2.JPG (78.54 KiB) Viewed 874 times
playhouse 1.JPG
playhouse 1.JPG (60.67 KiB) Viewed 874 times
Sheryl
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:59 am

Sheryl, that's SUPER !!! I'm sure the grandkids love it eh !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Shar » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:47 am

Yes, GPW, they do- as long as I "spider-proof" it first.
Sheryl
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:47 am

Please let me know how you do that ... we always get spiders in everything ... Gazillions of them here , and all in my yard too ... :frightened: Being a “naturalist“ (tree hugger) , and figuring God had a plan when he made spiders , I don’t try to trap or poison them in any way , figuring I’d also affect the other friendly critters that inhabit these woods ... All lives matter eh !!! :D :beer:

The wife does not however share my more naturalistic views and keeps a swatter handy on each floor ... :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies