foam durability as it ages?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: foam durability as it ages?

Postby ghcoe » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:29 pm

Westcliffe01 wrote:As far as durability is concerned, my main concern would be the ability of the structure to withstand the racking induced by the feeble trailer frames that are used. With the boxy structures that are commonly used, the stress is concentrated in the 90 degree joints between floor and wall, wall to roof, front to side walls etc. The lighter the structure, the less racking, unless one comes up with a 3 point mount and allows the trailer frame to move independently of the trailer structure.

A trailer is already a 3 point mount. Two wheels, one hitch. :thumbsup:
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 10, 2013 6:37 am

" commercial RV applications, “ ... :frightened:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:35 am

Hey Lonewolf, sorry I've been off the board lately and just getting to read some older posts. To answer your questions about 'glass. I used 6 oz fiberglass, put on two or three coats of epoxy, I should have used at least four. It's not the price of the fiberglass, it's the cost of the epoxy and the cure time involved. I'm certain that with enough patience and enough epoxy you can get an automotive quality finish. Just be prepared for lots of work
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Lonewolf42301 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:33 pm

atahoekid wrote: I used 6 oz fiberglass, put on two or three coats of epoxy, I should have used at least four. It's not the price of the fiberglass, it's the cost of the epoxy and the cure time involved.

2-3 layers of glass? or just epoxy trying to fill in craters in cloth? If you are just trying to level surface, fairing compound then featherfill ( a polyester hi build primer) works better and easier if sanding with a DA sander.... Was thinking someone in here told me one layer of glass is all you need? I'm even thinging 1" foam sandwiched with glass or carbon for substitute for ply for bed deck too. Think that will be strone enuf? Had a brainstorm today and figured out a way to build a lift system for an expanding roof vertically.... a system of timing belts on geared pulleys on a fixed rod down below on each side. putting a stud thur each belt to carry top half up. :twisted: the belts con run in a rec aluminum tube slotted on stud side and epoxied in lower half wall
Lonewolf42301
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mary C » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:04 pm

Lonewolf, Today I sanded my TD I used canvas glued on the foam with tight bond II I painted it three weeks ago so it was very dry. When I sanded it I knew I would have to paint again with a thick filling paint . my plan is to sand again when it is very dry. Then hopefully it will be ready for the finish coat of exterior semigloss latex. if not then I will use another coat of gripper. The thing is, I found that where the gripper really filled and was thick it sanded smooth and looked really good. I was not expecting the smooth finish. I now know that it is going to look almost as good as a car finish with out the high gloss. you say you travel a lot do you ever get to the Atlanta area I will gladly let you see it if you come down this way. I am sure I could get a urethane or gloss of some type and really put a nice finish but a pure semigloss will be sufficient for me. and by the time I paint it again you probably wont be able to tell it was canvas I painted over. The Gripper really filled it in.
As far as how long does this foam last? if I were you I would call the telephone number that is printed on the foam and talk with the technical dept. The people there are really nice, I just wonder do they look like a pink rabbit? :roll:

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:59 pm

Single layer of glass, multiple layers of epoxy... It was my first experience with fiberglass and epoxy. Maybe not my last, but I will be pretty selective where I use it. I find that I lack the patience and the room to apply it, let it cure and then work on it again. If I could knock off multiple pieces at once maybe I'd be apt to use it more frequently but I don't have a large enough workspace... I did come across some shop space for rent pretty cheap but it's in a rough part of town and a bit of a drive, it'd be hard to justify just to work on a project....
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby iregan » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:56 am

Hi all,
Might be a stupid question but I haven't seen it addressed(or if I did I forget), Has anyone tried thickening the grabber with Talc, microspheres or walnut shell?
These are pretty standard materials for thickening epoxy and polyester resin and I could see it possibly useful here too to fill in the coarseness of the canvas- well bondo too :)
Regan
iregan
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:12 pm

i haven't heard of anyone doing that but it does make sense. As with many things in the world of Foamies, sounds like an opportunity to test the theory. If you've got some gripper and a thickening agent like microspheres, give it a test an let us know. Some thickening agents are difficult to sand, so choose carefully. If you try it, let us know your results. It will add to our base of knowledge. :thumbsup:
Mel

atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:13 pm

Note; If you do the micro spheres or “balloons” be Very careful to wear a respirator ... the spheres are very light , easily made airborne and inhaled , where they stay in your lungs forever... :o And then you’re sanding it too !!! :shock: The airplane guys were warned years ago about this ... :thumbdown:

One of the other objectives of a foamie' was to get away from anything Toxic ... or as much as possible ... :roll: Plus it’s been proven a textured finish holds up much better in the long run than a finish dependent on a smooth surface film , which will eventually crack or worse , peel ... :frightened: The Tiny “dots” of a textured paint job are more flexible and can expand and contract more easily ..independent of each other ... and still offer the paint thickness for protection ... Plus all the work of a smooth finish , the foam underneath should be pretty much darn near be Perfect ... or surface imperfections will telegraph through any smooth finish :o .. Just sayin' .. 90% of a good auto body finish is preparing the surface underneath ... Lots and lots and even a lot more of Sanding :phew: ... Good if you know what you’re getting into ... :roll:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby iregan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 2:11 am

Unfortunately I don't have any chance of trying any of this for a few months, too many other projects on the go and no supplies :)
I didn't know that about microspheres, really good to know!! To be honest it was more a question to learn more, the best bet for a smoother finish would be to use a finer material in the first place,,, or maybe add a finish layer of a fine cloth before the final finish. For me I just want my foamie to be quick, easy, light and durable :)Regan
iregan
Teardrop Builder

Postby Lonewolf42301 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:04 am

Thanks to all who have replied..... good knowledge..... I do have another question tho.. Has anyone experimented on coating 3/4 in or 1 inch foam with glass to use as shelving or under a bed as decking? Soon as I get this cast off and can use this arm again, I plan to experiment... maybe cut strips in 4-6" wide and glass each with 1 layer of 4oz glass, then put side by side and glass together as a wider "board"? Maybe be strong enut to use in floor deck and would cut weight in half there from weight of plywood.....
Lonewolf42301
Teardrop Builder

Postby Lonewolf42301 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:10 am

Mary C wrote: you say you travel a lot do you ever get to the Atlanta area I will gladly let you see it if you come down this way.

Mary C. :)

Have been but not sure when again..... with this broken arm, travels done for the year.... Planning on tearing bike down this winter and rebuilding it, then starting on trailer after that.... Next years "big" trip will probably be New Orleans and the Gulfcoast..... :R
Lonewolf42301
Teardrop Builder

Postby Lonewolf42301 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:25 am

GPW wrote: Plus it’s been proven a textured finish holds up much better in the long run than a finish dependent on a smooth surface film , which will eventually crack or worse , peel ... :frightened: The Tiny “dots” of a textured paint job are more flexible and can expand and contract more easily ..independent of each other ... and still offer the paint thickness for protection ...

Maybe, maybe not.... But regardless, I want to show it off, turn peoples attention to composites, Then maybe sell mine each yearend and build myself a new one with better ideas.... make just enuf extra in each, to cover material cost of that trailer and some extra, then end up with only my labor in my end product.... Now that's thrifty :twisted: :beer: :beer: :beer:
Lonewolf42301
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:44 am

As we’ve discussed before , there is more to making a trailer Attractive than just a shiny finish ... A snappy paint job always does it ... despite what it’s painted on (JMHO) ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lonewolf42301 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:53 am

GPW wrote:As we’ve discussed before , there is more to making a trailer Attractive than just a shiny finish ... A snappy paint job always does it ... despite what it’s painted on (JMHO) ... :thinking:

In the cycle world, it better be shinny or you wont get much attention...lol But first class professional construction with a showroom finish is what will sell... My Main concerns in this build is to be able to sell a couple and hopefully end up with only my labor in my end product that I keep. Besides, who is ever satisfied with their first build? they always think of better ways and ideas the want incorporated in it....and that's what I am thinking, by the 3rd build, i'd truly have what I really want and need. :thinking:
Lonewolf42301
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies