PVC Foamie Cooler new pics 2/14

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

PVC Foamie Cooler new pics 2/14

Postby Jst83 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:55 pm

I recieved a foam cooler from the lady next door, she got t from the Honey baked ham Co. When I went to the CRA I found out that it would hold 30 long neck ummm sodas standing up :D with ice. After a couple times of putting it in the back of my truck I wound up punching a hole in it and that gave me the idea for the PVC Foamie cooler cause I really don't wanna loose a nice cooler and it will give me practice for recovering the Duck Tape Tear.

Foam Cooler with a coating of TB II to help seal the hole, that and some caulk

Build a pvc frame, have plans to shot foam down the pvc to further insulate before gluing it up

Add a PVC lid

Next I will add 2 layers of pink foam then canvas cover, that will give me a cooler with 2 1/2" foam wall that will hold a bunch of drinks and Ice :beer:
I'm also working on a drain plug so that I can drain water and add ice if needed, the cooler without the new frame will hold ice almost 3 days
Last edited by Jst83 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Re: PVC Foamie Cooler

Postby clermont cubby » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Jst83

Nice use of a recycled foam cooler. Hop it works out for you.

Larry
clermont cubby
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:35 pm

That’s pretty COOL !!! 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:35 pm

clermont cubby wrote:Jst83

Nice use of a recycled foam cooler. Hop it works out for you.

Larry

I know the cooler is graet and it will at least give me some canvas practice before residing my tear, It'll give me a chance to see how the canvas will work over my galley hinges as the coller will have the same ones and PVC framing
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:15 pm

:wine: :thumbsup:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 13, 2013 5:52 am

Aren't those the coolers they ship human Organs in for transplant ??? :frightened:

Scott , Just kidding !!! :R We have a box like that , that naturally we covered to test the strength of a ”skin” ... just a box by itself , but your PVC frame is just TOO COOL !!! 8) :thumbsup: :applause: So much to PVC that we’ve yet to explore for trailer building ... :thinking: Seems PVC and Foam are a good marriage ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:36 am

GPW, Scott built his teardrop with pvc, foam and duck tape. I love the frame now that you have that I guess I will be building a frame up for my "picnic" cooler I broke the handles at CRA It is the perfect size for me and what I take on trips so now I want to build handles but an extra thickness of foam is just going to be great. I was thinking about what the guy from igloo said take an old cooler,drill a few holes and fill it with the spray insulation foam. use the window and door stuff. said it will fill the voids and help keep things cooler a little bit longer. It is not pretty but does help. I think I will just use the additional foam outside and look for a way to make a drain plug. If you come up with something for a drain plug Scott, let me know here.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:56 am

Piece of PVC tubing glued in with something like GG or Great stuff , that and a cut down wine cork .... there’s your drain plug ... :wine:

Mary I remember the Duct tape ... :roll: (having been a big user of duct tape in the past , too bad it doesn’t last longer ... )
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jst83 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:01 pm

[quote="GPW"]Piece of PVC tubing glued in with something like GG or Great stuff , that and a cut down wine cork .... there’s your drain plug ... :wine:

Went with a screw in cap for the plug but should work fine, I'll install that after canvas if I'd have thought ahead I'd have glued the handles on after the canvas.

Here it is all ready for the canvas stage coldest refresments around :beer: I'll probably take it un canvased in jan when we go camping to keep drinks from freezing :lol:

Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby GPW » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:10 pm

Now that’s a SERIOUS Foamie’ cooler ... :thumbsup: 8) 8) 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:47 pm

Cool! No I really mean Kool. That is really snappy. I like the way you did the Hinge too I was thinking some along that line but you just sorta Did It. Any closeups before the wood top was added?

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jst83 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:56 am

Started the canvas while it's been to cold to do much and I've been gimped up with my knee, I have the best wife she's letting me glue and canvas in the living room.
I'll post some updated pictures when I get home from work.

Ok my question for all of you who have canvas covered tear drops, cover my cooler I keep makeing my diluted glue mixture and I've made it about 3 times (smaller quantities).
How much glue do you use covering an enitire tear drop?
Jst83
3000 Club
3000 Club

Postby Mary C » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:59 pm

Wives can be sweet!!! now I mixed about 1/4 cup water and 3/4 cup glue. I found that is about the right measure sometimes just a little more water to cut the viscosity, If rolling the TBII the problem with it is, you can load up the roller but it comes off and will be sorta thick in one area and thin in another . adding water keeps this from happening and with rolling you get a more even coat of glue. I like lots of glue so I roll the glue on the foam and roll it on the canvas. When you meld them together and smooth the canvas out while wet you will have patches of glue that comes through the canvas, it is ok I just smooth it out into the dry areas. Let it dry and coat with gripper or a thick paint. If there are some little areas that are not square you can use vinyl spackling to smooth them out before you canvas preferably but can be done after canvas but before paint.

How much did I use to cover 2 gallons but I still have a 1/4th gal I am using I just bought my 3rd gallon for the inside but I used 1/2 gallon to glue the foam pieces together on the top and on the galley cover.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:56 am

We found you can dilute the TB2 a lot and still get it to stick , but too runny is as hard to work with as too thick ... so no real rules ... just dilute it as much as you like for workability ... We use thick for gluing and thinned for canvas application ... that works fine !!! Even 50-50 is a safe mix... We used, as I can remember, almost 6 gallons of TB2 on the FS , Two on the #1 ... That’s a lot of glue .... Wonder if TB2 comes in a “fiver” ... ?
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Corwin C » Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:19 pm

GPW wrote: .... Wonder if TB2 comes in a “fiver” ... ?

YUP ... link
Corwin
Image Image Image
If I am unwilling to stand up straight before the world and admit what I have accomplished during the day, without excuses, in complete and honest detail, then I can do better ...
and no one should be expected to accept anything less.
-- myself
Corwin C
500 Club

Next

Return to Foamies