Big Mike’s Nano ... CNC

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Big Mike’s Nano ... CNC

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:51 am

Howz’ about combining the inner plywood CNC Nano Cub frame with the outer Foamie (as depicted ^ ), then cover it with anything you want ? Might be possible to add slots to the plywood frame to accommodate the ceiling cross braces (if wanted) ... :thinking: Best of all , the whole thing could be easily cut out on the CNC , foam and all , even outer thin plywood or fiberglass skins if wanted ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:12 am

The possible ways to use that plywood cutout are staggering. you could even cut out a frame like that the old school way with hand held power tools and the like but the efficiency and the precision of CNC takes it to a whole new level. :D :D
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:54 am

Mel, I can only imagine what a Giant PIA that would be to cut out with a jigsaw or scroll saw... Oi !!! :duh: A lot of careful work , and a lot of sanding afterwards .. :frightened:

I was just thinking , take that frame and stain and finish it nice on the outside , glue some decorative fabric to the inner surface foam , then glue the frame to the fabric and foam as a lamination ... Ouick “interior” .. Old school Woody’ looking ,nice framework detail but not taking up a lot of inner space ... yet providing a lot of strength ... :thinking:

Mike , any figure on what it weighs yet ? or did I miss that ? :o
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby todd432 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi all

Just joined the tnttt. community , and we just bought a new 2014 Tacoma TRD.
So now we have a tow rig... I have also built my own Joe's CNC 4x4 mine is 4x6

And I was thinking the same thing , The CNC will cut foam like butter.
Has anybody looked at the insulating foam panels they use for flat rubber roofing.
It is a lot stronger then Home Cheapo stuff. It has a skin of like black tarpaper on both sides and fiberglass strands impregnated in the paper.

I have cut out some 3D wooden puzzles that have half lap slots of the thickness of the material.
A kinda friction fit or finger joint or box joint type of joint. This would make assembly of the foam tighter and stronger when all glued up I would think.

You could even carve out a design in the foam . That would be really COOOOOOL
Attachments
Web Deer.jpg
Web Deer.jpg (87.32 KiB) Viewed 332 times
DSCN1219.JPG
DSCN1219.JPG (235.45 KiB) Viewed 332 times
todd432
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:09 am

Todd, Welcome to the Foamie Family !!! Cool machine you made there !!! 8) So many many possibilities... :thumbsup: 8)
Ps. A Good fit makes a Better Foamie !!! Interlocking assures accurate assembly ... ;)

One thing we’ve all learned here is to “test” Everything first. Say if you’ve found a “new” material , it’s upon you to test it , then tell us all about it ... :thumbsup: And we LOVE pictures too ... :pictures:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:06 pm

Ditto on the machine cool, and I am not sure about the black stuff I think its time for experimenting :lol: Good or bad a hit or not just please send the :pictures: .

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Previous

Return to Foamies