Outer skins

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Outer skins

Postby Mary C » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:20 pm

Call Glidden they will probably be able to tell you. If you can't get gripper then look and read the labels, You are looking for a thick base or primer that is very heavy and thick. The help at the big box stores don't always know about paint the know only what they are taught in the latex home paint they sell. You may be able to fine someone familiar with paint at a Paint store They might be able to guide you to something that will work but I would call Glidden Paints first.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby wagondude » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:06 am

DJT wrote:Does anyone know where to get Gripper in Canada? HD here carries Glidden, just not the Gripper?

Did you ask at the customer service desk? If they carry Glidden products, they should be able to order it for you. You may also be able to do a site to store order where you order what you need online and have it shipped to the store near you.
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Mary C » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:35 am

Bill you are right and right on for that suggestion :thumbsup: I wasn't thinking DUH!!!

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby DJT » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:19 pm

I did ask at two separate HD stores. Both told me the same, that Gripper wasn't stocked in the Canadian stores?

I'll try contacting Glidden this week.
DJT
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Do they have it under another name ???
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:06 pm

The only reason that I was thinking that I would cover it in cardboard and than canvas is:
With the experiment that I ran it was a lot more hammer proof than just foam and canvas not so much that it couldn't be destroyed but it took a lot more effort
I believe that if I lined it with cardboard and canvas that unless some thing really major happened you would never need to get out the iron and like GPW said not that much more weight
And if something did happen it could still be easily replaced :D
Just a thought. :thinking:

Ps maybe I will test it out on a fish house 1st :twisted:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby KCStudly » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:34 pm

Sounds like a viable option to me. I see at least two upsides: 1) no hours of applying and sanding spackling to get a smooth surface for the canvas, and 2) more dent resistant.

I like the concept and am eager to hear more as you progress. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:32 pm

An idea just occurred to me :o .... what about mixing sheetrock mud’ with a little TB2 to make a waterproof Paste that could be used as a thrifty canvas “filler" ... applied with plastic spreaders , squeegee’d on flat , it should render canvas weave almost invisible with minimum sanding ... another “test" ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:20 pm

that sounds ......almost workable ..........but it would take a lot and not sure about the thrifty $$$$$$ :roll:

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby 666K9 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:37 am

GPW wrote:An idea just occurred to me :o .... what about mixing sheetrock mud’ with a little TB2 to make a waterproof Paste that could be used as a thrifty canvas “filler" ... applied with plastic spreaders , squeegee’d on flat , it should render canvas weave almost invisible with minimum sanding ... another “test" ... :thinking:

In my experience, when drywall mud is painted, or paint added to it, it becomes much harder to sand. I've tried it both at home and at work, back when I sold paint, wallpaper and drywall. A better solution would be to mud, sand and paint in that order. One could even use "ACRYL 60" (http://www.thoroproducts.com), or possibly sub-floor sizing, as a hardener/waterproofer.

Skip
"There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot." Aldo Leopold... These posts are by one who cannot. (paraphrased)

"It takes an act of Congress to make a General; it takes communications to make a Commanding General."... sign in Radio School classroom

Phil Jarvi, Docent; Grass River Natural Area (http://www.grassriver.org)
666K9
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks Skip !!! That’s true huh !!! :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:45 pm

It took me about an hour and a half to sand with my palm sander the first time, its just that I had phone calls and company during the time and lots of darkness and It really wasn't so bad, 20 minutes on the second day. so sanding about 2 hours with a palm sander and not so bad.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:56 am

Two hours sanding isn’t bad at all !!! I sanded for days on just that FS nose cap ... :duh:

After all this discussion, it still seems to me (JMHO) that the canvas over foam is the way to go for the outer skin... Simple , Thrifty , time tested, and easy to repair if needed... not to ignore that “self -healing “ business which was a total surprise ... :o Everything else is merely an concession to “RV” appearances ... :roll:

(disclaimer: ) A Real Foamie' is in reality , nothing more than a “Hard tent” ... A lightweight,weatherproof, insulated, Thrifty , “ Practical” camping alternative... and nothing more ... It’s really all that YOU make of it after that... ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:02 am

WHOA !!!! You’ve got to check out Oakinteriors link to “skin boats” .... a Fabric which may provide a tough smooth skin for our trailers ... :thinking: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... Xb_21OLjHE
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:57 pm

uh oh this is turning into another big thrifty thread... :o :lol:
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies