Outer skins

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Outer skins

Postby Gizzmo » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:46 pm

I tried posting a pic but it says that my file size is to large I have tried going in and editing the photo but still to large I am using an iPad
And I'm not very tech savvy :thinking:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rowerwet » Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:07 pm

I run all my pics for Tnttt through this site, http://picresize.com/ select the quick resize option, select the max pixels width to (I believe it is 500) and hit resize, when the site tells you it is done, select view file, it will open in a new window, copy and save the picture, the new file you just saved will load into the gallery just fine.
be aware this works for landscape (wide) photos, for portrait (tall) you need to set the max pixels on height instead or you get weird shaped subjects in the picture...
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:33 am

Just wanted to see if my pic posted :pictures:
Like I said very strong :thumbsup:

Thanks Row: that site works great. :thumbsup: :applause: 8)
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (67.08 KiB) Viewed 658 times
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Gizzmo » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:06 am

GPW
Still wondering if glue will stick to OSB with " The Mixture" on it or do I need to put the canvas on before I water proof it?

How long is the FS?
Is it on a boat trailer?

Just started to read some of the build threads, saw a :pictures: Looks big :)
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:44 am

I really don’t know , but since paint will stick to it , likely TB2 will also .... It doesn’t really leave a “film” so there’s plenty of “tooth” to grab onto ...
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:49 am

Giz, are you anticipating someone standing on top of your TD? I am not sure what you ultimately want to accomplish with putting the wood on the outside of the foam? If you want to have wood why not build it out of wood in the first place? if you want foam build it with foam. Remember I used just foam with TBII and paint, No body wants to walk on mine. To me building with wood glued to foam seems ????? I understand KC's build he is finishing the inside off in wood for the wood finish look. Please don't get upset with me I am not being ugly I am just asking why you want to have the wood on the outside? To me it is just more to buy and more to invest in and more to do. I perhaps like the simple way to to build and finish. I am not worried about competing with mine for looks I want it practicable, I am camping out of it.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:10 pm

Well now , I guess that about sums it all up eh ??? ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lonewolf42301 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:32 pm

I think hes looking at strength for floor... Same as me, light but strong. Pulling my camper with a motorcycle, every lb. I can same is what I seek. I am planning on some sort of composite with foam as a center for my camper that will be about 5' wide and the only framing under it will be 2 long aluminum 1/8" thick L shaped beams to attach axle suspension to. :?
Lonewolf42301
Teardrop Builder

Postby Mary C » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:02 pm

ok, strength but light for the floor. :o OK, I can see it now. Just had me worried again, because someone the other day asked what kind of wood I put on the sides. No one can see it. took me a while to convince them it was foam. sorry I thought he was considering it for the sides and roof with that experiment.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:26 am

Thinking about that floor business... If you use thin ply on either side of a sheet of foam , you still have some substantial weight , and not as good a place to secure the walls ... JMHO The only real compromise we’ve had to make with foam , is the floor ... It’s really hard to beat the convenience and strength of a simple plywood floor ... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:23 am

On the other hand, it is not that much trouble to build a perimeter frame of 2x2 to give a border edge of wood for your 1-1/2 thk foam sandwich floor. Plenty of wood for attaching walls and lots of insulation value in the floor; not too heavy.

"You pays your money and you takes your choice."
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Lonewolf42301 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 11:57 am

GPW wrote:Thinking about that floor business... If you use thin ply on either side of a sheet of foam , you still have some substantial weight , and not as good a place to secure the walls ... JMHO The only real compromise we’ve had to make with foam , is the floor ... It’s really hard to beat the convenience and strength of a simple plywood floor ... :thinking:

But its still lighter then 3/4 ply..... and would be as strong or stronger, I think... 1/2 ply is really pretty flexible and spongy to walk on. been thinking of going farther and making sections and inserting them into an aluminum grid possibly? Oh, besides having aluminum rails for suspension attachment, the outer perimeter will have .060 aluminum lapping just above floor and down maybe 4" below floor as a backing for foam to make a skirt around trailer so it should have plenty of attachment area. Using epoxy glue and fiberglass cloth as a covering, it should be more then strong enuf. I haven't had time to figure weights of a floor grid yet with all the holiday running and going back to work after the cast came off my arm and completed therapy... Probably be summer before I get to actually start experimenting with my project as I have several other projects to complete first.... Hopefully I will learn more from others and save myself lots of time in trial and error....
Lonewolf42301
Teardrop Builder

Postby Lonewolf42301 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:15 pm

Check my album so you can see what I am trying to build. The Guy that build this has build 2 prototypes, the first with ply and second with foam/fiberglass and was working om a lighter version with pop-outs... that was 4 yrs ago that last post was made to website.... I will have a pop out opposite the door but it will be closet space to hang cloths on.
Lonewolf42301
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:41 pm

GPW wrote:Thinking about that floor business... If you use thin ply on either side of a sheet of foam , you still have some substantial weight , and not as good a place to secure the walls ... JMHO The only real compromise we’ve had to make with foam , is the floor ... It’s really hard to beat the convenience and strength of a simple plywood floor ... :thinking:

I agree with GPW. If you clad both sides of your foam with 1/4" ply, you're already at 1/2", so you might as well just use 1/2" anyway and anything less than that means you won't have enough bite for your fasteners unless you install hard points every where you want to drive a fastener. Now that is easy enough to do as long as you pre-plan your fasteners and you want to take the time to do it.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:59 pm

[quote]

Still interested in a sandwich floor for the fish house just to keep the weight down. Eagle did that in her last build right?
I would appreciate if any of you could direct me to a couple of build sites where they did a sandwich floor.

I was interested in a sandwich floor for my fish house so that I could drag it on and off the lake with foot power, but then I thought if it works for fish house should work for a camper. Plus the fact "insulation." And if the skin is the strength on the top should it not work the same on the bottom as well as as long as it is wrapped like a sock? Why the need for the mechanical fastening on the floor?
My plan was to just GG the sides to the floor and then wrap fabric past the joints in side and out :thinking: of coarse there would have to be hard points
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies