Outer skins

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Outer skins

Postby Mary C » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:36 pm

Yes I love chocolate, See Grits. Chocolate cake with a chocolate filling with chocolate on top. I was like a busy beaver, I made a cover for the faucet and then I made a piece to cover a hole in the wall and made a cake, went to the grocery and had to do some paper work. What I should have asked was: should I cover the faucet cover in an outer skin? I didn't but it is out there covering it 6 inches of foam with a hole in the middle, I just threw it together.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Gizzmo » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:05 am

Roverwet wrote:
polyester or epoxy resin is heavy, TBII adds weight also, not sure what the weight per sq ft would be on a sandwiched floor vs 1/2" ply per sq ft

I hate to keep referring back to my fish house but half-inch would never be strong enough for the floor without all the cross braces underneath.
And I do agree laminating the floor on the trailer would not be necessary 8)
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mary C » Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:12 pm

In the fish house you will be up and walking around with a chair that maybe has a point of impact(leg) with weight. but inside of a TD you will have a mattress and primarily lying down thus spreading your weight over a 3x5.6 area. If I build again on a four ft frame I would put down a thin piece of wood ply then 2 inch foam then carpet and mattress. The reason for using wood (thin) is because of road uck rocks and painting it with a water resistant (black stuff) stuff. What I found is that the two inch foam will resist breaking but the weight difference is not that much. by having two inch you have extra support for your mattress. The Fish house from the bottom up. I would use canvas, thin wood or cardboard, two inch foam then thin ply.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:49 am

You know , that cardboard (chipboard) is interesting stuff... It sticks to foam like a magnet with TB2, and actually dries inside fairly quick on large surfaces ... And after that is easily waterproofed ... We’ve seen this material used inside cars and trucks for as long as I can remember... Lots easier to work than wood ... certainly thriftier, and seems to be stronger than the wood , the random direction fibers giving more overall strength than the wood which splits and runs with the grain. Which would also tend to localize any “damage” should that happen ... :thinking:

Curiously , it’s about the same weight as wood , not really a surprise , because it’s made out of wood eh ... :o No weight savings there , other than the fact that being a bit stronger, you can use a thinner cardboard. Used in the RIGHT place, for the Right job , this can be a great trailer building material ...
I still imagine Foam , with a thin chipboard skin outside (inside too), then covered over with a light canvas would be Solid like a "Tank” and have a nice smooth finish too ... !!! 8)

Ps. We’re still searching for a supplier of 4’X8’ chipboard... I’ve seen it in the past ... I know somebody makes it ... That would be really NICE !!! :dancing
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Trogdor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:15 am

This chipboard is it what we would call hardboard?

This stuff? http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/she ... Id=9285987

If so I am tempted to use that as its nice and cheap! and easy to find here.

I could cover it in canvas or glue a thin layer of alu to it...................... :thinking:

EDIT: this is what we call chipboard over here....... http://www.diy.com/nav/build/timber/she ... mm-9276283

It doesn't sound like the stuff you describe as its heavy!
Trogdor
Teardrop Builder

Postby KCStudly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:00 am

More like a single ply paperboard.

The packaging stuff that cracker boxes (saltines, etc.) are made of, flexible.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Trogdor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:08 am

Ok, doing some research, hardboard is what you would call masonite. (I think) not found anything like paperboard yet tho.

p.s. what are saltines?

edit: oh you mean cardboard! wikipedia can be so helpful sometimes!
Trogdor
Teardrop Builder

Postby swampjeep » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:41 am

saltines are a type of salted cracker

and yes, chip board would be a type of lthin, non-corugated, cardboard
swampjeep
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:24 pm

Trog, think Biscuit box... Not the tin of course ... :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:25 am

Mary
In the Fishhouse weight is a huge issue I have tested the 1/4 inch OSB with a chair and a hammer-plenty strong :thumbsup: on the TD The time and trouble versus weight savings is not worth it in my opinion :o Al thou I do believe that would work great ;)

GPW

Curiously , it’s about the same weight as wood , not really a surprise , because it’s made out of wood eh ... No weight savings there , other than the fact that being a bit stronger, you can use a thinner cardboard. Used in the RIGHT place, for the Right job , this can be a great trailer building material ...
I still imagine Foam , with a thin chipboard skin outside (inside too), then covered over with a light canvas would be Solid like a "Tank” and have a nice smooth finish too ... !!!

That's what I wanted to do in the first place and everyone thought that was overkill :o :o :o all thou strong and easy probably not necessary :thinking:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:50 am

There are many ways to make a foamie’ .... It’s best to build it like You want to ...!! ;)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:03 am

It took a long time to realize that there's many ways to build a foamy -- with construction work if you deviate from the standard probably will not pass code. :o
Since the trailer is the expensive part, I think I will build it with just canvas and then if it is not as strong as I think it should be, I'll build another one :twisted: probably be something I want to change any way :roll:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:38 am

G’... with your skills , this should be EASY ... ;) Build the minimum , see how you like it ...

Since you’re thinking in advance you might as well drill Two floors exact to fit the trailer , so you could easily swap them (different cabins) around if you wanted... :thinking:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:26 pm

GPW
Already thought of that , I intend to build a toy hauler at the same time. Just clamp the two pieces together and drill both floors at once. I could easily throw an extra floor on and have one for a spare :thinking: worst case, I would have a sheet of plywood lying around with six holes in it. I could live with that :thumbsup:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:00 am

Good thing is, a Foamie cabin is usually Very lightweight... easily moved off a trailer , or on ... so all this becomes easily possible ... :thinking: sorta’ like changing hats ... for different occasions ... Interesting idea!!!... Only one trailer frame (tires, bearings , etc. ) to maintain... :thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies