Outer skins

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Outer skins

Postby oakinteriors1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 3:47 am

Gizzmo wrote:As promised I said I would post my results
Material was one and a half inch foam 1/8 inch pressboard out of the bottom of the dresser drawer glued with tb2
Very strong I could put all of my 170 lbs on it with out bending at all then I jumped up and down on it, still fine then I really started to jump up and down on it with only one foot before the top layer broke it took a few more jumps before the bottom layer started to separate at witch point I stopped
Remember that this is only 7 inches wide and two and a 1/2 foot long I have no doubt that this would hold up extremely well if sandwiched between 1/4 inch wafer board OSB :thumbsup:

This would be a great idea for portable take apart shelters...... :applause:
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:09 am

We have seen 1/8” plywood in big sheets .... the Rv manufacturers use it for roofs ( :frightened: ) ... that on each side of 2" foam should make a lightweight floor ...and just thinking , some old bedsheets glued over that (skins) should make it very stable ...although I think we’d build in some hard points for attachment inside and through the "sandwich” ... Attaching to the existing trailer would make it plenty strong to walk or lay on ... No dancing ... :dancing
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:09 am

Alrighty then
So now all I have to do is wait for warmer weather and find some polyurethane and paint thinner to test the bonding qualities with tb2 :twisted:

Hey I seen mention of square PVC pipe on here I was just thinking if one would take some foam and laminate it into a table mount on some sq PVC,sort of like a receiver hitch, to both the bottom of the trailer in several places and to the bottom of the table one could have a very light weight compact table anywhere that you wanted one. I wonder if rain gutter would work :roll: it is already fitted with elbows, easy to take apart, easy to mount with the supplied brackets :thumbsup: best of all thrifty and light :thumbsup: just a thought :thinking:

22 degrees below zero this morning :thumbdown: :snowstorm: that means it has to warm up 50 degrees just to freeze water :shock: :lol: :lol: LOL
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:22 pm

50F here ... just 50 degrees less and we could have ice cubes... :roll: ...
You’re too COLD for me Gizzmo !!! BRRRRRRrrrrrrrrr!!!! :frightened:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lonewolf42301 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:49 pm

Too cold for me too!! Forcast to be below 0 by Monday here and we haven't seen temps down there for a long time..... :o :thumbdown:
Lonewolf42301
Teardrop Builder

Postby oakinteriors1 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:19 pm

+5 deg. today... Supposed to get up to 30 tomorrow , then 38 on Sat,... :) Then back to 0 on Monday... it is a roller coaster winter around here! :beer:
oakinteriors1
Silver Donating Member

Postby Gizzmo » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:06 pm

You know what they say " not so much the heat but the humidity " :lol: :lol: :lol:

What know one liked my rain gutter idea?

Found some free polyurethane today now just need paint thinner and run a test :twisted: I will report back :pictures:
Gizzmo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:20 pm

PVC rain gutters ? :thinking: free polyurethane ... :thumbsup: 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:13 am

Speaking of outer skins .... Yesterday the Sun finally came out and we got a chance to really inspect the Foamie’ #1 , just trying to get an idea of what we need to do for the upcoming “renovation” (paint job) ... Now I don’t know if it’s the extremely cold weather contracting the foam and canvas, but the roof and areas that were subject to all that Hail damage , is now Perfectly Smooth ... :o The little circular discolorations in the paint are still,there , but the foam has completely filled itself back in in those many little craters ... and that’s with a fairly light weight canvas skin too ...
We just figure that after that (Nasty hail storm) and 2+ years living outside with nothing more than a rusty hinge and some green mold around the bottom frame , that’s pretty GOOD ... :D Canvas over foam .... it’s all you really need , anything else is “extra" ... ;) just sayin’ ...

Ps. until now , we’ve never found the need to do any maintenance to it , or even wash it ... Rain does that .... self cleaning ... and best of all , still dry as toast inside ... :dancing
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:30 pm

Low maintenance and dry as toast; these are just a few of the things that attracted me to the foamie method.

...And then there are the "extras". :wine:

"I wanna complicate the hell out of things". - Harrison Ford in the movie Six Days Seven Nights.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:59 am

KC, I think it’s like a birthday cake .... you can eat it right out the oven , or you can decorate it and put candles on it and make it Pretty ... :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:58 am

And you get to eat it, too! The cake, that is. Probably a dump cake in a DO! :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:47 pm

Ok Now you got me thinking :thinking: I am going to make a test cake in my DO today I want chocolate on chocolate with chocolate. gotta go see if I can round up the ingredients. I have some charcoal and I think I can do this !!!!

I do have a question should I put an outer skin on my water faucet cover? gotta keep to the thread....

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby rowerwet » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:00 pm

polyester or epoxy resin is heavy, TBII adds weight also, not sure what the weight per sq ft would be on a sandwiched floor vs 1/2" ply per sq ft
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:13 pm

Mary , so we take it you like chocolate huh ? "chocolate on chocolate with chocolate “ ... 8) Yes , cover the water faucet , it’s getting COLD ... :snowstorm: Brrrrr!!!!
GPW
Gold Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies