The Dirt Shack

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

The Dirt Shack

Postby Lighterknot » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:03 pm

Started posting this over in the Non-traditional Designs forum http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58309 but after reading more I have decided to make it out of foam and am calling it The Dirt Shack.

I am starting with a utility trailer I already own and still trying to figure out how I want to seal the part below the pre-existing rail:

Went from a very basic design without curves:

To this(I can't take credit for the dirtbike, I found it online):

Thinking of using removable slats for the floor similar to how modern bed frames are made. This would allow me to fit 2 full-size dirtbikes in the trailer while in haul mode and once the bikes are unloaded the slats could go back in to support a futon mattress or regular mattress if I go that route.

I am also planning on making the platform completely removable from the trailer. Thoughts or advice?
Lighterknot
Teardrop Inspector

Re: The Dirt Shack

Postby Mary C » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:09 am

Welcome Lightfoot to the Foamie section. First I would like to tell you a little about the foamie section, We are considered new, we like new and innovative ideas but our main thoughts are centered around construction which is safe, light weight and inexpensive. We openly experiment with foam, glue, paints, and other materials. We have several who have had long experience with foamies. They are durable and safe, don't leak and in some cases self healing. We are very supportive and give opinions and comments and ideas and lots of suggestions. . We like lots of :pictures: and lots of information so it is great you started with a pic , but please let us know about yourself and what you want to accomplish. We also have a cents of humor :lol: . so enjoy the Foamie section and welcome.

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lighterknot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:43 am

Thanks for the welcome Mary. I have read several of the build threads in the foamie section to include yours and am glad everyone is so open to sharing all of their tips and lessons learned! I had never used this Sketchup program before a few days ago and I think I may be addicted and I'm only in the design phase...lol.

My main goals are to be able to haul 2 dirtbikes on my existing trailer while also having a warm dry place to sleep once the bikes are unloaded. I also think I figured out my dilemma of how to seal the open space below the rail on my trailer. I am going to build it is a drop-in similar to the way truck campers are built! Here are some more pics...

Blue = Foam
Light Brown 2x4s
Dark Brown: Existing floor of trailer
Black: Existing rail of trailer

Lighterknot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Mary C » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:32 am

Looks doable to me and what you are trying to accomplish looks like a design that would work. Is this for just you or you and a son or wife or friend? I like the way you used the canter leaver over the front, that maximizes the space you can get , What is your tow vehicle? There are always other things you take along and you have room for an outside box between the bikes. My friend built his with two stationary pipes coming up from the back of the trailer and put chains to hold the ramp at a slightly elevated from parallel position and gained 20 inches for storage. it worked like a draw bridge. Essentially he made his trailer longer. I am not sure how you could do that with the "sleeping " part on the trailer as he had a cable running to the front corners of the trailer for stability and counter weight. Just a thought. :roll:

Mary C. :)
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Welcome.

How long is your trailer? The reason I ask is because the first stick figure bike does not seem to scale, unless it is a kids mini.

Why not build a fully enclosed toy hauler? Drop gate rear door, wheel bikes out, hinged drop down bunks, galley counter at front?

That way you don't have to push the front of the cabin so far forward to where it starts to interfere with the TV while turning and encountering dips.

Have you seen the sketches that GPW did when Eagle was considering a slide in? (I referred to them a couple times recently in other threads.) I don't think that 2x4's are required any where in small camper construction. The only place I have any in my build is the blocking in the doors where the latch mechanism is recessed, and most of that was cut away with a router to create the pocket for the latch.

These are from GPW, remember to add some hard wood rub rails along the bottom and lower sides to prevent damage when sliding in and out.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Lighterknot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:15 pm

The first stick figure bike isn't to scale but was supposed to represent a kids mini bike so I'm glad that's how it looked...lol. I haven't seen GPWs sketch you were referring to but the one you included is very helpful. The only reason i was thinking 2x4s is because I wanted to make sure it was strong enough to support whatever sleeping platform I go with...come to think of it most modern bed frames are made of much thinner materials.

I thought of doing a fully enclosed toy hauler but my trailer is only 5x8 and I'm not sure it would be worth it to have one that small. Doing it this way will also give me the experience to see if I can pull this off. I have zero construction experience and very little woodworking/power tools available so I wanted to keep it simple.. If it goes well I will look at making a 6x10 or 7x12 fully enclosed toy hauler sometime in the future.

My step-son(7) goes riding with me a lot so I would like it to be able to fit both of us and my tow vehicle is a Tacoma with a 6k lb towing capacity so no issues there. If the platform sticking off the front off the trailer a foot or so starts to interfere with the turning radius of the tow vehicle I can always get one of those 8" reese hitch extensions like this:
Info here: http://www.reese-hitches.com/products/Receiver_Hitch_Extension,80307

Here is another picture with an accurate scale dirtbike:
Lighterknot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby KCStudly » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:12 pm

Do the numbers crunch out to have room for both bikes and bed?

I know if I were to put a dirt bike or two on my 5x8 there would be very little room left at the front. A 250 2-stroke or 400 4-stroke is going to be at least 6-1/2 ft from tire to tire.

Maybe a wider upper bunk for you and a narrow one down below for the kid?

Don't forget that those hitch extenders reduce your rated capacity. Modern full size dirt bikes are gonna weigh in at several hundred pounds, so build light.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby Lighterknot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:01 pm

In my plans, the bed wouldn't be setup at the same time the bikes are in the trailer. My YZ450 is 7' 2" long so it would have to go in diagonally if there was any kind of permanent sleeping platform. I'd say my trailer weighs between 6-800 lbs and my full-size dirtbike is 250 with a full tank of gas. Even if I managed to fit 3 dirtbikes on there that leaves a couple thousand pounds to work with so weight shouldn't be an issue at all...at least for my truck. I need to double check to see how much weight my trailer is rated for. Thanks for the thoughts so far. I'm going to go hook the trailer up to my truck and jack knife it to see how much clearance I have to work with.
Lighterknot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby mezmo » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:37 pm

Hi Lighterknot,

Just a few fast thoughts to consider, as you design, offered to see if they'd be of help
or work for your needs:

- Check out the Foamie Aero thread http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=49036
to see how some of the concepts could help. As it stands now, in towing mode,
it is a box followed by an upright ramp that functions as a scoop, both creating great
drag and big decreases in gas mileage and thus increases in operating costs. If you can
fit its cross-section within/to-match the tow vehicle's cross-section, that will greatly help
decrease the drag penalty underway.

- Consider building it as a full bodied trailer, both for the aero help and extra cover when
the bikes are dismounted and you may need shade or a place to stay while you wait
out a rain shower etc.. A full body would give you much more elbow room than just the
bed 'pod' area.

- If you do a full body, you could do it so that the side panels [both sides] hinge or
fold up or back to give you more access or covered area, similar to this on a homebuilt Australian camper I came across. [Click for larger view.] 100037
You could use mini-SIPs to make them and the body.

- Another way to approach the short sidewall frame would be to put a solid bed platform
across them that would fold up to allow the bikes to be loaded or to have a permanent
platform with removable front wheel stantions to be mounted upon the platform [mattress rolled out of the way] for transit, then stored out of the way for bed use.

- If you made a permanent platform, the under bed area could be used for exterior access
storage drawers, sized to fit in the areas between the existing sidewall frame uprights. Make
them as one large drawer that could roll out from either side and you won't have to be
concerned much about drawer support when opened as enough would stay under the
platform to support the open portion.

- You could also build an expando bed that'd fold out from the full body when set up like
these neat small Australian folding caravans from the 1960s [Click for larger view.]
A Homebuilt 101507
The Expandavan 101506
The home build body is about 6ft wide and 8ft long and the Expandavan body is about 5ft3in wide
and 9-11ft long, depending on which version. The bodies and the fold out sections are built of
high quality plywood [~3/8inch or so thick]. The expanding sections are piano hinged together.
The roof sections lift up, then you pull out the walls and then go inside and then lower the bed
platform. You can set up in the rain without anything getting wet. Here's a link about them:
http://vintagecaravans.proboards.com/in ... 060&page=1

Have fun designing and then making the design real.

Cheers,
Norm/mezmo
If you have a house - you have a hobby.
mezmo
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Lighterknot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:47 pm

That is a neat idea about the flip up side panels and that expandavan looked awesome...not going to lie though my brain hurts just thinking about how to pull something like that off. The rear ramp of my trailer is wire mesh so I'm not sure how much additional drag that creates but something to consider. The current plan with a 4' foam panel sitting on top of the framework would make the top of the "pod" the exact same height as my truck...give or take 1.5 " depending on suspension sag for cargo in the truck. Also the rear hatch of the pod when open would be able to rest on top of the ramp of the trailer creating a built in canopy so to speak...I will go check out the Foamie Aero thread you mentioned.

Thanks.
Lighterknot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:05 am

Lknot, seeing you live in CA where they weather is Nice all the time ...You might just make a snap on screen mesh and canvas flap for the back wall ... Simple , keeps the bugs out , and you can keep an eye on your bikes... ;) What you propose seems pretty simple to do , just an enclosed bike trailer (and a place to snooze ) ... :thumbsup: 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Lighterknot » Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:18 am

GPW is that something I would have to have made to fit over the opening or is that something I can buy somewhere? I do like that idea and the more I think about it the more I like the earlier suggestion of just building it the full length of my trailer.

I tore my miniscus in my left knee so everything is on hold while I find out whether or not it needs surgery.
Lighterknot
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:51 am

You could have one made , or make one yourself... or find something the right size all finished and make the opening to fit that ...although that may sound like backwards engineering , it is convenient and Thrifty ... Custom stuff costs more ... :o

Good Luck with the knee !!!
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Return to Foamies