Was skyline now Mercury, tear inspired camper for six

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Was skyline now Mercury, tear inspired camper for six

Postby GPW » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:29 am

Exciting , watching it come together !!! :o
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby mikeschn » Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:12 pm

Yep, cool watching that mushroom come together!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike...
The quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten, so build your teardrop with the best materials...
mikeschn
Site Admin

Postby rowerwet » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:51 pm

this didn't die, In fact it has already gone 10 hours on the highway, and camped out for 5 days in the Adirondacks, WHILE IT WAS STILL IN THE BARE CANVAS STATE :shock: !! After we got back and the season slowed back down I painted the canvas.
to continue to follow Mercury go here http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=64918

I entered my Sawfish kayak design in two contests on Instructables.com both times I won second place. I've modified the cockpit location slightly after a summer of use, but otherwise the boat has proven to be super tough. Tackling the surf on the beach in York, ME, camping in the Adirondacks, and many miles on local lakes and rivers. you can read more about it on my facebook page if interested.

My foam mouseboat is still unfinished in parts, but has given plenty of service, just the other day I got some pictures in the comments section of my Instructable for Sawfish, they show a traditional looking kids kayak built of PMF and foam, and a mouseboat also built of foam and PMF. I can't get much more out of him as google translation isn't the greatest.
I've given the PMF on foam the abreviation FOF for fabric on foam. A take off from SOF, skin on frame.
Last edited by rowerwet on Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jan 04, 2016 4:55 pm

:thumbsup: 8) :D :applause:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:27 pm

This past winter I took the time to publish an instructable for the foam mouseboat. http://www.instructables.com/id/Seafoam ... nyone-Can/
The first weekend after I published it the instructable had 30,000 hits :shock: and the numbers continue to roll up.
The seafoam instructable won first place, better than Sawfish did in both contests it was in (2nd )
As it stands currently I know of four foam mice, and a fithf under construction.
I have received pictures of 5 Sawfish and believe there are two more out there.
The best part is knowing these boats are all over the world, Czech Republic, eastern Europe, Nigeria, Australia and of course the US. I'm still waiting for one in south America and antarctic to get all of the continents :lol:
I also completed 4 more Sawfish kayaks and created a new 8 footer for kids built the same way sawfish is, and launched two. The new design is called Clownfish, and will be released when I have all of the bugs worked out.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Fri Jun 10, 2016 6:14 am

Now you just need to make a boat for we “large” people .... the BIG Fish !!! :D

Your extensive ( and quite successful) Foamie efforts have been much appreciated !!! :thumbsup: 8) ;) :applause: :applause: :applause:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:37 am

thanks GPW, I wouldn't have tried it if you hadn't gotten the idea out there and kept promoting it.

I think my sawfish kayak is big enough for just about anyone. My dad is 240, he paddled mine just fine, and now he has his own that I just built for him. If you look at the pictures or videos on my facebook page you will see that his weight doesn't really make the boat float any lower in the water.
If you want a boat that is more stable you could do what the builder of the battleyak did https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enFsYqLiLAw he took my basic idea, widened it to 36 inches on the waterline and made a very nice fishing kayak out of it. The builder is over six feet tall, and he stands in it to cast when ever he wants. Even with all the modifications he did, he figures it only cost about $400 and weighs about 50 lbs.

I just published an instructable about my Mercury camper, giving what I believe is the basics of how to build a foam teardrop. If you could take a look and let me know if I missed anything, or am putting the wrong information out there.
http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... Proof-Wel/

I would also be happy if you gave me a vote in the two contests I entered it in. :thumbsup: thank you
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:07 pm

You have my vote !!! :thumbsup: 8)
Got a direct contest link ...???
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:16 pm

On a phone the vote tab is just above the comments, on a computer it will be at the top right near the stats.
Wow 29,000 hits in a 24 hours!!! :shock:
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:33 pm

I voted for you. :thumbsup:
OP827
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Foamies