Yall are stirring up trouble on the Boat Builder site

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Yall are stirring up trouble on the Boat Builder site

Postby georgiadawg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:14 pm

They don't like your new fangled fancy canvas and glue!!!

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=58390
georgiadawg
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Yall are stirring up trouble on the Boat Builder site

Postby GPW » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:12 pm

That’s unfortunate .... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eaglesdare » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:23 pm

Hmmm sounds like there may be some naysayers over there. :lol:
Louella
May the foam be with you.
eaglesdare
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:37 pm

but my friend said canvas has been used on boats with a combination of glues and paints for a over 100 years, guess being a Tech graduate doesn't take into account the tried and true ways of building boats and they have probably never built a fine wood boat but just fiberglass or plastic with big engines to run the waves and pull skiers and there was the other things said . I believe that if you look at the history of boat building you will find canvas and water proof glues, and paints and varnishes being used and............ Where is Rosie when we need her? any way Rosie built a boat with canvas and glue and foam and paint. We don't go to other forums stirring up trouble we just stay here with our thrifty foamies and one day others will see how it works and it will be ok. The future will speak for itself. I am not trying to change the world but I will say my experience and the experience of others and if thats not enough then oh well. some people have more money to use on projects and that is their prerogative. As GPW so often says "Our method is THRIFTY" !!! Our method works. No they wont hold up to the type of abuse some put on their boats but they work just fine for camping and going down the road and work fine for personal fishing crafts.

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby georgiadawg » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:39 pm

I definitely need to hear from Rosie on her canvas and glue boat. STAT.
georgiadawg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby MtnDon » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:01 am

Wasn't the controversy over taking a plan that was designed for using fiberglass layers and changing it to use canvas and glue? A change like that could result in a structure that could not take the design loads. One example was for some boat whose design write up specifically stated that most of the strength came from the two fiberglass layers over the plywood substrate. IIRC. (I did skim as boats are not my thing.)
Our 6x12 deep vee nose cargo trailer camper conversion... viewtopic.php?f=42&t=58336

We have a small off grid cabin we built ourselves in the NM mountains; small PV solar system; 624 watts PV, Outback CC & inverter/charger ... http://countryplans.com/smf/index.php?topic=2335.0
MtnDon
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Mary C » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:18 am

Ya know if they want to use horse poop or cow dung and build boats with that it is ok by me. I am just saying "We are building our foamies in a thrifty way and our process of putting Canvas on the outside of foam with TBII then painted with a good heavy base coat of latex paint over foam works to make it waterproof and sturdy as a teardrop camper. It has been proven.

I don't think our process finishing would hold up as a speed boat with in board or outboard motors.

Maybe GPW can find the pictures Rosie and her boat and put up for her build.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:42 am

Although we’ve yet to track down Rosey (don’t know where that girl went ? ) ....here’s the info... viewtopic.php?f=55&t=47250
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby georgiadawg » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Wow thanks! Great thread, great read.... Rosey really delivered on that one. Does anyone have an ability to PM her and get her back in here?
georgiadawg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:15 pm

We’ve tried to contact her ... No Luck ... :o I don’t know if she moved or what ... :roll: Guess once the Hubig Pie factory burned down , her and half the Police Force left ... :shock:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:33 pm

Try calling the police force see if she is still an officer just a thought............her boat needs to be in the builds, or somewhere we can find it.

Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby georgiadawg » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:06 pm

I was once lost in New Orleans, my parents called the police station and sure enough, they had someone in custody with my same name, but it wasn't me! I was safe and sound in a strange girl's hotel room at the Superdome Hilton. New Orleans is a hell of a town.
georgiadawg
Teardrop Inspector

Postby angib » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:33 pm

I believe two places canvas was historically used in boat-building (excluding sails!) are:
1) As a waterproofer for decks and cabin tops when set in paint (usually old left-over paint) over planking. I believe this is because the 'conventional' technique of caulking a planking seam works on a hull that is always immersed but not on a deck or cabin top that wets and dries out.
2) As a glued (and painted) layer between the skins on double diagonal planked hulls. Again the canvas was a waterproofing layer.

So it's not a new idea -though using it on foam is.
angib
5000 Club
5000 Club

Postby Mary C » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:40 pm

I want to build a boat similar in materials to Rosies but I plan to design it differently I am looking at boat designs a lot before I build I am wondering how to figure the buoyancy and how to figure if I build it will it hold me above the water that is the only reason I haven't built one. I will figure it out even if it is by try and see method. what I want is similar to the mouse boat made with lots foam and more designed as short and thinner at the front but 4 inches of foam on the bottom and hold me and a little electric motor and battery along with my fishing gear. I know nothing about boats so I can think out of the box, without prejudices and all the things that can and can't be done. I can build a fishing boat where I will have what I want and it will be very light and can be used in still waters without hesitation. I can also block out the naysayers, and the ones who just like to stir up the pot so to speak. I can do it but it will be a project when I get back from my Big Out West Trip.

See I told you canvas has been used in earlier boat building. what he said!!!

There was a boat retrieved from the depths and the historian was pointing to the little patches of canvas as it was torn from the wood that it had protected the wood so well that it looked like new.

Mary C. :lady: :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby KCStudly » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:43 pm

Mary, I'm not a marine engineer, but the basics of buoyancy and floatation are that the the amount of water that the submerged hull displaces (moves out of the way) will be equal to the weight of the boat and contents. Fresh water weighs about 8.3 lbs per gallon and there are about 7.5 gallons to a cubic foot.

So long as the shape of the hull spreads enough water out of the way with enough free board (gunnels above the waterline), water stays out and the boat floats (assuming that the center of gravity is below the center of buoyancy so it does not flip over).
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Next

Return to Foamies