Yall are stirring up trouble on the Boat Builder site

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Yall are stirring up trouble on the Boat Builder site

Postby rowerwet » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:20 pm

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 212&type=1 my continuing experiment in foam boat building. I see foam as a great way to make parts of the boat lightweight, but not the answer for every part.
For my next idea I want to try a 1\8" ply hull sheathed with 1/2" foam covered with PMF (painted canvas).
If you follow the link, you will notice the experiment was quickly attacked on the super snoby wooden boat forum.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 212&type=3 this album shows how I like to use foam in my boat builds, also here I replaced some wood bulkheads with foam. https://www.facebook.com/61324239535821 ... =3&theater
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tom Kurth » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:38 pm

Limited time so did not read entire thread at boat building site. But, having spent a lot of time on strip-built boat sites and having built a couple strippers, I think I can distill their objections to something short and sweet. At least one of the posters there oversimplified the idea of monocoque construction. Specifically, it is the TWO rigid layers of fiberglass separated by wood (or foam or whatever) that gives the system its strength, much like the way an I-beam works. That alone does not make the boat function. There has to be some structure (thwarts) that keep the two sides of the boat from collapsing because of the water pressure surrounding it. Both these things make building a one-layer foamy with relatively small outside forces an entirely different thing from a stripper. Comparing to a traditional canvas covered canoe is also off base since the canvas is stretched over a wood structure consisting of wood strips over bent ribs. The canvas is then saturated with paint to from the waterproofing agent. Hope this helps understand their distaste for foamy construction as practiced here.

Best,
Tom
Tom Kurth
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:01 am

As you might have guessed , we don’t give a Rats *** what the wooden boat people think ... :o :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:54 am

Perhaps it is the type and need that is not being considered in all the many different builds . What I want is not what they build nor would they ever own one. why? they are not 65 years old and a weak woman who wants to just sit 30 feet from the edge of a pond and fish. They want to get out in the surf and sail and build canoes to race on the waters to move through the water. I don't want heavy to begin with and I am not going to fiberglass and I cant afford to buy one so I will do the best I can to accomplish my desire. I would be glad to build the way they think it has to be built but I cant. So ability also has to be considered so if they are so snobby and rich I dont need them in my list of friends.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby GPW » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:35 pm

Mary , Rosey proved it all worked . Rowerwet confirmed it again and again ... Build what you Need , and the way YOU want to ...

Ps . Mary, I will be just over 65 this month and have found out long ago that the fish are usually all along the EDGES (where the Food is) , not out in the middle, so we don’t need much of a boat either, just like you say ... :thumbsup: And yes , when fishing the edges , I do wear a camo T-shirt , because the Fish can see you too ... ;) Just sayin’ .. There’s fishing, and there’s “Catching" Fish ... :lol: 8) ;)

I saw some guys out fishing in the bayou near the house this morning .... casting away ...waay out in the middle ... :roll:

We need a Foamie boat no more than 10’ long and 4’ wide... got to have a rod holder (or two) , room for 2 coolers, one for the fish and one for the :beer: Nice swivel seat would make it perfect ... Electric trolling motor would be Nice , and a Big Golf umbrella for “sailing” ... Something light and STABLE to toss into the bayou or pond for some edge fishing ... back up the truck , hit the brakes, and the boat slides in the water... :o How controversial is that ... :frightened: :lol: :lol: :lol:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:13 am

reminds me of the Garrison Keller story about the guy who was after the lunker sunfish in lake wobegon. When he fished from the bank, the fish jumped out in the middle, when he brought the boat, they jumped in the shallows he couldn't get into. after years of this torture, he brought the shotgun and taught those fish a lesson.... :lol:
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby GPW » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:21 am

Row , the guys here even have big air fan powered boats with huge powerful light arrays ... they go out at night and shoot the fish with bow and arrow ... Sorta’ like a fish market , pick your fish , shoot , it , drag it in .. The lights illuminate the water like an Aquarium ... :roll: But that’s another story ... and likely the wooden boat guys don’t approve of that either eh ? :duh:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:08 am

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/15/pro ... ITxKM4o7xA foam boat building is getting some more coverage on duckworks, the boat building site friendly to all builders. some end up better than others http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/15/col ... /index.htm
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:01 pm

I posted about my foamie mouse on a wooden boat forum, not only did I get trashed, told I would drown, and I had no idea what I was doing, but then they deleted the thread...
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Fred Trout » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:53 pm

rowerwet wrote:I posted about my foamie mouse on a wooden boat forum, not only did I get trashed, told I would drown, and I had no idea what I was doing, but then they deleted the thread...

heh, that's typical. Sounds like most libtards on the web I know.

"RULE 12: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, and polarize it.” Cut off the support network and isolate the target from sympathy. Go after people and not institutions; people hurt faster than institutions. (This is cruel, but very effective. Direct, personalized criticism and ridicule works.)" Saul Alinsky’s 12 Rules for Radicals
Fred Trout
The 300 Club

Postby GoTurtleGo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:18 pm

rowerwet wrote:I posted about my foamie mouse on a wooden boat forum, not only did I get trashed, told I would drown, and I had no idea what I was doing, but then they deleted the thread...

I'm so sorry about the rudeness and distinct lack of technical curiosity and adventuresomeness from those folk, but I for one really love your foamie mouse boat. And I hope to make one when I have finished my very slow foamie teardrop build. So thanks for it!
GoTurtleGo
GoTurtleGo
Teardrop Advisor

Postby GPW » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:38 am

It’s like trying to post a foamy’ in the general discussion ^ ... the diehards just don’t want to hear it ... nor do we want to hear another story about trailer ROT .... it’s why we’re here... to prevent ROT ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:58 pm

Yeah I know about rot :( my tear is in stage 4. Another reason I'm building Skyline.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby rowerwet » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:03 pm

GoTurtleGo wrote:

I'm so sorry about the rudeness and distinct lack of technical curiosity and adventuresomeness from those folk, but I for one really love your foamie mouse boat. And I hope to make one when I have finished my very slow foamie teardrop build. So thanks for it!

If you like the mouseboat check out sawfish, it looks just like the expensive plastic kayaks until you get up close. Real kayakers won't look at it funny.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby daveesl77 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:30 pm

Rowerwet, all I know is that I think all of your builds are brilliant. I have built/rebuilt/commissioned 13 sailboats over the years, from 26'-88'. 3 were wood. The entire idea of doing foam construction to me makes perfect sense and you guys have all proven it works. I held a 500 ton master license, crossed the Atlantic twice solo, taught celestial navigation for the Coast Guard and was the lead sailing instructor at a major university, so I kind of know a bit about boats.

I have met all kinds of wood boaters over the years, some were masters, most were morons. After reading the wood boat forum, I'm leaning towards the "moron" side on that one thread. I'm using "moron" for a more appropriate 7 letter description.

And the idea of glue and fabric embedded hulls goes back a bit more than 100 years (as noted in that moronic forum), try the Sea Peoples, the Greeks, the Romans, the Scandinavians, Chinese, Eskimos, Polynesians, etc..

Go with the Foam!

dave
Dave and Regina - Enjoying old age, a LOT!

Build Journal - http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=62386
daveesl77
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies