another foamie build thread

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: another foamie build thread

Postby scuba1978 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:36 am

Thanks GPW... I know I could go lighter, but I am more concerned with ease f construction, strength, and longevity than a few pounds here and there. I have a 264 pound trailer (plus probably 20 lbs after lifting and modifying the tongue), and I have probably 180lbs of wood total. I think that with everything built plus matress (minus camping gear), I should come in under 800 lbs, and I am towing with a Z71 Silverado. I am also overbuilding a bit, because I may carry a boat on top. My next project will be a stitch and glue river pram (or a truck bed camper she'll out of foam). :D
scuba1978
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:22 am

Well, good then you have it all sorted and thought out !!! :thumbsup: No problem towing it w/Z71... it’ll be like nothing there... :o 8)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby scuba1978 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:38 pm

Not too much progress today. I sanded the storage area and put 3 coats of water-proofing slop on it. I also ordered my fantastic fan, rain cover, and 7 pin male plug (i am going to wire the existing 7 pin plug on my truck to charge the foamie's battery while we drive). Tomorrow, I have a day off work, so I have judiciously decided to take a trip to big blue and buy my foam, a second gallon of tb, plexiglass (decided on the Wiley windows), some nice boards for the window framing, and some packing tape. I may also head over to the auto parts place and get a battery, a fuse box, a 12 volt receptacle, and other odds and ends. That should supply my whole build minus some hardware and canvas (which I may order from duck) and paint.

I plan to affix the bunk, flip over the whole thing, and waterproof the bottoms of both bunk and floor. realistically, I probably won't have any time to do any work to the trailer, but better to have high hopes than no hope at all! 8)
scuba1978
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:47 am

Scuba, you’re doing great !!! Take your time , have Fun with your build!!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby scuba1978 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:25 am

Well, I bought all the supplies I need to finish (yeah right) except for door hinges, paint, and canvas.

Big blue only had 2 foot foam panels, but I did not want to go to the orange store, so I had to glue them edge to edge. I started by taping one side,

then I flipped it over, and exposed the seam.

After I glued a spritzed the seam, I laid it flat and taped the other side like the first side. With time to wait, I finally glued and screwed the bunk on top of the storage area. I got creative with weights, as I only used a few screws (mostly for clamping purposes).

I went to check on the glued foam panels, and the GG is filling the seam nicely without too much uncontrolled expansion. I forgot who recommended the packing tape, but thank you, whoever it was!

Finally, it was dinner time, and time to see if the bunk will fit the munchkin!

I'm pretty happy with the day's work. I did get a 3rd and 4th coat of water proofer in the storage area before I attached the bunk. I would have liked to get a coat on the bottom of the floor, but c'est la vie!

Good night all!all! :beer: we need a smiley with a glass of scotch!
scuba1978
Teardrop Builder

Postby scuba1978 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:28 am

Sorry 'bout the big pictures...I did everything the same as when I posted the smaller sized ones (i think). I will see if I can fix them later. :beer:
scuba1978
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:15 am

Scuba, those pics are fine now !!! :thumbsup: Good Progress in getting all the “stuff” !!! 8)
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:30 am

Um, no. The pics are massive at my end. Have to zoom in and out to see them, and also read the text.

Good progress tho!

One thing I found is that the GG is highly susceptible to climate. After spreading the GG evenly on one side, in humid weather it was enough to just wipe the other side with a damp cloth. My spritz bottle shoots a rather course spattering, rather than a fine mist, so that may have had something to do with my results, but I found that when I sprayed I would usually get a lot of expansion and cleanup work after the fact.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby GPW » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:49 am

KC , in our infamous Humidity , we don’t use a water spray or anything , unless we actually want it to expand .. Handy sometimes with “less than perfect” building ... :oops: That and we’ve learned to keep an eye on the drying GG and scrape away early, any excess that seeps out .... much easier while it’s still soft ... less hassle later , just time consuming , needing almost constant attention till “set” ... and that depends on the weather pretty much (climate ^ like KC said ) ... The warmer , more humid it is , the faster it fires off... Takes a while to get used to ... The biggest problem is using Too Much ... you only really need a THIN uniform film , anything else is just a waste and eventually a mess, if left unattended... Less is More ... ;)

Ps. Got a 24” monitor here, pics fit , but just barely ... :o Scuba, just re-size in your Photo software .. You’ll get the hang of it !! Easy ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby kudzu » Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:41 am

Scuba, your munchkin fits the bunk well & with room to grow. You're making good progress.

KCStudly wrote:After spreading the GG evenly on one side, in humid weather it was enough to just wipe the other side with a damp cloth. My spritz bottle shoots a rather course spattering, rather than a fine mist, so that may have had something to do with my results, but I found that when I sprayed I would usually get a lot of expansion and cleanup work after the fact.

Great to know. That would probably work well here.
kudzu
Donating Member

Postby scuba1978 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:14 am

KC, I live in Albuquerque, so no humidity to speak of. I pulled some of the tape today, and I will have very little to clean up!

Kudzu, thanks, the bunk will finish at 31"x71". So it should be big enough even for me to sleep on!

My only progress today was ordering a couple led dome lights and canvas. I hope to build the storage doors, and waterproof the bottom (finally) this weekend. My helper is building his mancave into a 4th bedroom, which means I will be building a wall and closet soon. Hopefully, I can find time to work on my project too, but if we take too long, his pregnant wife might eat us!
scuba1978
Teardrop Builder

Postby scuba1978 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:45 pm

Well, I received my fantastic fan and rain cover today. What a nice looking piece of equipment! I haven't hooked it up yet, but it looks Luke a quality fan.

I also got my daughter to help me cut out the side wall and doors.

I cut them halfway through with a razor knife, then completed it with a sharp steak knife! Low-tech but effective! Then I used a rasp-plane to square and straighten all edges in pairs. The walls are ready to be put on, but I have yet to waterproof the bottom, and I want to before this camper gets too unwieldy.
scuba1978
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:51 pm

Coming along nicely. The bunk looks like it will be very comfy. Great job!!! Keep the pics coming
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby scuba1978 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:50 pm

Well, not much to update. I have been super busy with other, less fun, things. I did receive my dome lights and canvas, and I flipped the floor over and waterproofed the underside. My gallon of truck-bed liner went bad, so I may go get some more, or I might just leave the bottom sealed with the poly mix. I am taking next week off of work (and the.wife and kid are busy), so I should be able to get a whole lot done. I only lack door hinges, a battery, and a 12v outlet, and paint. Hopefully, I reach the point next week where I need to go get 'em.
scuba1978
Teardrop Builder

Postby scuba1978 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:59 pm

Oh, I have a question for the experts (or those who just like to share their opinions, you pick which one you are). I am usin 2'x8'x1" foam for the front-top-back. Should I glue 3 pieces side-by-side lengthwise making two 6'x8' panels to bend lengthwise front to back (glued seams front to back)...or glue 7 pieces side-by-side making one 14'x8' panel (then cut to 14'x6') and bend it front to back with the glue joints running across the camper? Can anyone argue either way would (might) be better?
scuba1978
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies