another foamie build thread

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: another foamie build thread

Postby scuba1978 » Sun May 04, 2014 11:29 pm

I will post this in the glue thread too...gorilla glue is awesome stuff! But, it doesn't come off of anything, so be carefull. I have rubber gloves, but I tend to get glue on my hands and arms anyhow. What I have found best to get it off is to rub sawdust into it as soon as I get glue on my hands. Really rub hard, it will get most of it off. Then, I use the little cheese grater things that the. Ladies use on their feet, and a pumice stone. It takes quite a lot of scrubbing, but it gets almost all the glue off. Even after that, my fingers feel "fuzzy" and plastic for a.day or two. Good luck!
scuba1978
Teardrop Builder

Postby jseyfert3 » Mon May 05, 2014 6:48 am

Actually, if it hasn't cured, acetone will take it straight off. It also dries your skin out really good, but I'd rather a little dry skin and lotion then gorilla glue stuck to my fingers.

Also, be cautious using acetone on plastics, as it dissolves a good number of them.
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby GPW » Mon May 05, 2014 7:33 am

Hazmat suit in addition to rubber gloves :thinking: ... no matter how careful we were , we always got something somewhere, and used 91% rubbing alcohol to remove it , before it cured ... ( like Js said ^) ... once it’s cured , you can forget getting it off easily , but rubbing baby oil on it seems to eventually loosen it from skin ... On clothes , forget it ... :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby jseyfert3 » Mon May 05, 2014 7:34 am

Rubbing alcohol removes it too? That wouldn't dry your skin out as much for sure.
jseyfert3
Teardrop Master

Postby KCStudly » Mon May 05, 2014 9:01 am

Acetone can draw nasty chemicals into your blood and cause other problems down the road. :thumbdown: Best to wear disposable gloves and change them as required to keep from tracking the stuff around. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby scuba1978 » Mon May 05, 2014 2:42 pm

Mineral spirits got it off too, but I wouldn't recommend bathing in it. It's kinda hard to convince the wife to "play" when you smell like a gas station! :R
scuba1978
Teardrop Builder

Postby atahoekid » Mon May 05, 2014 10:51 pm

I agree with KC. Disposable gloves are the best way to keep it from getting everywhere. A box of 50 pair for about 12 bucks is cheap insurance in my book. I like nitrile gloves the best, but latex works well too
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Mon May 05, 2014 10:55 pm

I have found fast orange the pumice hand cleaner to take gorilla glue off pretty well if it is still wet. At a minimum it vastly reduces the dark staining that comes from gluing grunge to your skin.

Scrub with fast orange and no water. Wipe with paper or shop towels then wash like normal. Way easier in your skin than acetone or alcohol or sandpaper.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby Shar » Mon May 05, 2014 11:46 pm

Hmm, think I will go with the latex gloves...!
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby rowerwet » Tue May 06, 2014 8:57 am

after using all the types of gloves, I found disposable vinyl gloves stick to the glue the least, latex stick the most, when the gloves stick they tear.
rowerwet
Gold Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Tue May 06, 2014 9:04 am

Hmmmm, you all stated half the reasons I don't like GG, The other reason is that it grows and will change the closeness and exact demitions when applied between two pieces of anything . After ruining a couple of art objects I got so mad at the stuff I decided to never use it again. I know it dries quickly and I also know it is unforgiving. other glues work fine for me. Plus my skin is precious to me and at my age it is important to keep out the ugly chemicals.

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby scuba1978 » Wed May 28, 2014 11:33 pm

Sorry so long...started canvassing the doors. Beware the buildup of multiple layers of canvas, I tried to fold under every edge of the canvas for aesthetic reasons, and I built up the thickness enough that the doors no longer fit! That stuff is tough! I had to rip off the edges with a circular saw and re-cover them with a single thickness. Ces la vie! Between my wife's master's graduation and birthday, and family coming in town, and two family friends having babies, the camper has suffered a bit of neglect. My daughter and niece spent one night in it (in the garage) , and my wife and I did too! :R
I have been taking pictures, but I am still having issues uploading them. I promise, they will get posted at some point! I now have a "campable" deadline for a camping trip at the end of June. I need to canvass the doors (2nd pair) the outer shell, and run wiring for.the lights and fan, then she's useable!
On a side note, I got a camp chef 3 burner stove and a huge square Dutch oven, and I ordered some beeswax to season it and two skillets and a griddle that are all going to be a part of my mobile kitchen. C'mon camping!
Side note 2: I could use some inspiration for a name...it just doesn't seem right to finish her without naming her!
scuba1978
Teardrop Builder

Postby GPW » Thu May 29, 2014 5:13 am

Maybe use a temporary name till you find something that fits ... :thinking:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Thu May 29, 2014 6:32 am

"Something Is Afoot", SIA, or Afoot for short?

Kind of silly, but in looking back at your build for inspiration, it's the impression I got from one of your first pic's.
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby scuba1978 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:57 am

I like where this s is going... Pun in the sun!
scuba1978
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies