Superlegerra -ish 5x9 foamy - First Trip!

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Re: Superlegerra -ish 5x9 foamy - Outside Covered!

Postby GPW » Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:21 pm

just paint it whatever colors You like !!! 8) :thumbsup: ;)
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Re: Re: Superlegerra -ish 5x9 foamy - Outside Covered!

Postby lthomas987 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:32 pm

I went with a blue very much like the background of the linen. We used Behr Premium Plus Ultra flat on the outside in blue. On the inside we used the same paint but in Ultra White.

The paint was a dream to work with. We're going to do a second coat tomorrow morning just because we can. I could have done the whole trailer inside and out with one gallon. But I did use two coats of gripper. So the fabric weave was pretty full.

I also started tinting the windows tonight. The little one is done. The big one half done.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:37 pm

[img]
IMAG0484.jpg
[/img] I know it is a kind of annoying way to post photos. I well fix it later in the week.
But I couldn't resist showing the color.
Attachments
uploadfromtaptalk1412483784224.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1412483784224.jpg (62.6 KiB) Viewed 1306 times
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:47 am

It is always impressive to watch the transformation from an in process build to the finished thing. We get so used to seeing the 'behind the scenes' look, then the paint and final finishes come and suddenly there is a metamorphosis into a finished camper. Like watching winter turn into spring.

Good job. :thumbsup:
KC
My Build: The Poet Creek Express Hybrid Foamie

Poet Creek Or Bust
Engineering the TLAR way - "That Looks About Right"
TnTTT ORIGINAL 200A LANTERN CLUB = "The 200A Gang"
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:09 am

Looks good. I would not have minded you using navy and white, what's the saying about copying being the sincerest form of flattery :D :lol: . Personally if I redid my paint job, I think I would use a cream/light tan color instead of the white. No particular reason, just my preference
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:11 am

KCStudly wrote:It is always impressive to watch the transformation from an in process build to the finished thing. We get so used to seeing the 'behind the scenes' look, then the paint and final finishes come and suddenly there is a metamorphosis into a finished camper. Like watching winter turn into spring.

Good job. :thumbsup:

Okay, so your turn to impress us with a transformation is next!!! Just kidding!!! Yours has been impressive all along :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:04 am

It takes a village, Mel. Thanks to people like you and Laura for leading the way! :applause: :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:33 am

I tinted my $5 Craig's list windows last night while watching Oklahoma lose to TCU. They look pretty good considering I have never tinted anything and was no good at putting screen protectors on phones was never my strong suit.

Also there's some dig hair in one pane.
Laura
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby Mary C » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:00 am

I love the blue Laura, I is almost the color behind the material color and I loved that as well. Seems you are doing quite well.and don't mind your picture taking or delivery , I have 22 photos rready for downsizing but I cant find the right resizing program for me. I will one day. Till then I will continue to work on my little TD!!! I love what you are doing with yours. :) :applause: :applause:

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby lthomas987 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:35 pm

I picked the blue because it is nearly the color of the floral linen. I am going to try and find something clear to cover the bulkhead that separates the galley from the inside. So that the flowers show through. When I decided to try that it sort of set my color requirement for the outside, it had to work with the linen color.

I am trying to decide what to use for that clear coating process... clear polyurethane? or maybe if I can find clear paint base? Anybody got any suggestions on that front?

In the mean time I am painting all the other internal bits. I have one coat of primer on. I have to travel to Seattle next weekend so I won't get any work done then but I'm running out of viable painting days before it gets too cold in a hurry.

Tuesday I am going to make the hatch. Or at a minimum get it all cut and kerfed. I think I can manage the dream of the all foam hatch! So back when I built the bike drop, the first thing I did was kerf a piece of foam and glue it up and get it to hold the tiny 11" radius half curve that makes the front of the bike trailer. I used WAY too much Gorilla Glue. But I think that technique moderated with more reasonable quantities of glue and some good kerf math and I can make an all foam hatch cover. (minus the obviously necessary mounting blocks for hinges, and props and latches)

I do have a bit of a connundrum about the hatch though. Originally I thought I would have 3 layers of fabric and glue on the back curves of the galley opening, which in testing with paint added nearly 1/4" But I trimmed everything up differently and ended up with just one layer and almost no additional thickness. But thinking about all the layers and layers of paint I bought 1.5" foam so I could get the outside curve to match and have everything line up with 1/4" thick weather stripping. Now I fear it will be too thin and if it lines up well at the roof and I set the outside radius to be what it would be in 2" foam I'll have a 1/2" gap. Weatherstripping products are hard to find that thick. So do I abandon my two sheets of 1.5" foam? and buy 2" foam? Do I just allow for a step down at the roof hinge area? If you've got thoughts I would love to hear them.. otherwise stay tuned for the further adventures of the all foam hatch.
Laura
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:47 pm

How about going for it with the 1-1/2 inch foam and if you don't like the result just laminate another layer of 1/2 inch on the outside; might not need to kerf the 1/2 inch stuff. I think the fan fold stuff comes in 1/4 inch, if the half is too thick.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:55 pm

KC that's a great idea. I could even laminate it on the inside to clean up any imperfections caused by gluing the curve.

I want you to know I thought of you while drilling in some aluminum for my trailer today. I've got a piece of 1" L that is going under the spot where the front curve meets the trailer frame and I was pre-drilling holes. And I thought "What's the bare minimum KC would do to make this come out ok?" as I was clamping a chunk of 2x4 to my drill press to keep the holes in a neat line, and I decided you'd at least stop and make sure the drill press was set to some speed moderately acceptable for the job. (Also I put on my safety glasses but that's just because I can't imagine damaging my eye and then explaining to anyone that I had perfectly nice prescription safety glasses in arms reach but didn't put them on because I was lazy.)
Laura
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby KCStudly » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:59 am

:D

I guess it depends on how you do the math and were you want the extra foam to be. To me, it is always easier to work on the outside, rather than on the inside.
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

Re: Superlegerra -ish 5x9 foamy - Painted

Postby lthomas987 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:13 am

Can anybody think of a reason why I shouldn't just mount my windows permanently once the paint is cured? That way they'd stop kicking around the house and garage waiting for me to get them put in place. I've still got to build a hatch and door but I can't think of how the windows would impede that can you?

There are a lot more pictures in the gallery?
Laura
lthomas987
Donating Member

Re: Superlegerra -ish 5x9 foamy - Painted

Postby KCStudly » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:19 am

lthomas987 wrote:Can anybody think of a reason why I shouldn't just mount my windows permanently once the paint is cured?

Unless you have something large that needs to be able to pass through there, like an inner spring mattress, are prefab cabinets, I can't think of a good reason not to.

Really looking like the home stretch now that you have paint on inside and out. Looks really good; good color choices! :thumbsup:
KC

Poet Creek Or Bust
Green Lantern Corpsmen
KCStudly
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Foamies