Coroplast foamie?

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Coroplast foamie?

Postby Tundrwd » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:49 pm

Got to thinking, and I did a quick search, but didn't see anything "definitive".

Question is - would a teardrop "coroplast foamie" work out?

Thinking of a wood/plywood frame, and coroplast not the OUTSIDE. I'm not too sure of UV properties of coroplast, so it may have to go inside. Of course, foam insulation. Not too sure if coroplast inside AND out would work.

General design would be a 5x8' with a "bow" front, relatively straight/level top, going back to an angled hatch (don't want a curved rear hatch).

So, a few general questions:

Would coroplast work on the outside? I don't want white, as I don't want the thing to glow from the inside when a light is on. So at least some darker color. White would work on inside.

If coroplast doesn't work on outside, I guess I could go with a canvas exterior with some kind of marine varnish mixture to waterproof. (Would a canvas paint drop cloth work? These things seem to be cheaper than other forms of canvas, but I think they are in the 9-12oz range of weight)

Thickness of coroplast? I can get coroplast locally up to 12mm. Would that be rigid enough? 8mm?

If using coroplast inside and out, how best to seal and protect seams? Angled aluminum pop riveted? And smeared with silicone inside, etc?

Other thoughts?
Tundrwd
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Coroplast foamie?

Postby desertmoose » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:03 pm

Canvas and paint is well proven. I used Harbor Freight painters drop cloths for mine (10 oz)

see this thread for more info:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=45468

Sam
desertmoose
The 300 Club

Postby GPW » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:11 pm

Tund’, JMHO , there are Better materials to use than Coroplast ... which so far doesn’t survive the aging test ... it gets brittle as it ages... :o Samples even tested Inside show similar results, sunlight only accelerating the process.
We have however, made short term projects , like RC model planes of Coroplast , and they worked fine...usually crashed and retired long before material degeneration .. Things like Coroplast dog houses and shed walls didn’t last so long ... for us :oops:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby eggsalad » Wed Mar 05, 2014 3:34 am

My roof is Coroplast over Masonite. So far, so good, but it's only been on a few months.
eggsalad
Teardrop Master

Postby wagondude » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:50 pm

Someone built an entire tear from Coroplast. They glued it together with Great Stuff. They also noted that having the light on at night gave quite the shadow show. I just don't remember who it was.

Edit: Found it....viewtopic.php?f=55&t=49644
Bill

TnTTT ORIGIONAL 200A LANTERN CLUB
wagondude
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Tundrwd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:49 am

Thanks for the input.

I have a fear of UV problems with Coroplast, and it just aging to dust.

Wanting to do something very light-weight (and low $$$), but still looking' good on the outside. A bit leery of canvas on the outside - really more because of appearance. I've got the trailer (given to me by someone, but I put new tires on it). Just one of those flat "utility" trailers from Harbor Freight/Tractor Supply vintage. Don't recall gross weight capabilities, but seems like it's in the 1200-1500lb category.

And marine grade plywood is pretty expensive to have a nice "woodie" appearance on the outside. So I'm really in search of what to do. Masonite could work for the inside (nailed/screwed) - I have a VERY distasteful attempt of trying to use glue for it in a couple other things I've tried. Failed miserably, and bubbled up, and started "delaminating" from the glue side. Not pleasant. Maybe it was the wrong glue, not sure. Basically just a contact cement - 3M "generic" contact cement.

Another quick question - I've got an "unlicensed" trailer, and can just slap an "under 2K" tag on it. However, state and county likes to tax RVs - even those that don't require an actual DMV tag. So - it will need to be "inspected" to raise it to the standard of "roadworthy" for those purposes - anyone have experience with that kind of thing? What you went through, learned, etc.?
Tundrwd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:24 pm

Tund, you’ll find canvas works a Lot better than many other things .... well tested and why we chose it in the first place ... We’re no longer speculating here about what works and what doesn’t ... Everything has been well tested for several years now ... :thumbsup:
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tundrwd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:43 pm

Honestly, not debating the issue of canvas - it was used on planes in WWI and even on control surfaces on some early WWII aircraft. The Hurricanes fuselage behind the cockpit was fabric covered.

Just that the pics I've seen don't have a terribly neat appearance. The planes had dope, etc put on them that shrunk the canvas some to make it "sleek" and taut (or tacked it down around edges and then watered it, or heated it to shrink. I've assisted in recovering a couple L2 aircraft, obviously didn't use canvas in this day and age, but same basic principles, so I'm not unfamiliar with the process).

So many canvas tiny trailer jobs do it DURING the process, and I'm concerned about warpage of a subassembly before actual, final assembly. Maybe it's just the approach those builders took, but it always appears the side walls are done before attaching to the floor, etc.

I'm assuming it doesn't have to be that way, but could be done after the basic structure is complete, and as a final covering - but you begin to question what you think when "everyone" you see does it differently.

The structure is definitely monocoque, and is only at its strongest when completely assembled.
Tundrwd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tundrwd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Oh, and don't take offense. I'm after light. I might want to drag this thing with a class I/II hitch on a Prius. It can "tow" 700 lbs or so. Lots of guys in Australia and the west coast have done it. My Prius is now getting old enough I'm not terribly concerned about shortening its life.

I just know that in recovering aircraft we hard to be very concerned about the dope used, and how many coats. It was surprising how much weight each coat added to the aircraft.

Thus my original question about coroplast. Definitely should be lighter than 2-3 coats over even 6oz canvas.
Tundrwd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GuitarPhotog » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:50 pm

I have a trunk on my recumbent bike made of coroplast (salvaged from an election sign) that has been on the bike for 12 years. Admittedly it's not outdoors 24/7 but it gets long stretches of being outdoors when I travel with the bike.

It's as smooth and strong as the day I made it. I was unable to solve the glue problem when I made the box so I "sewed" it together with nylon wire ties.

<Chas>
:beer:
GuitarPhotog
Silver Donating Member

Postby Tundrwd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:06 pm

Well, appears there are now some glues. Seems 3m Scotch Weld DP8005 will glue/seal coroplast, strengthened by zip tie lacing.

My interest in coroplast started with this idle link http://www.christinedemerchant.com/boat-styles-coroplast.html

Boats made from coroplast. I figure if you can make a boat from it, you should be able to keep it watertight enough for a trailer.

I'm just asking this, as so many of the stickies and referenced builds are 3-4 years old. New stuff pops up,all the time, so just curios if anyone else has tested/attempted and if they had success or not.
Tundrwd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Now it may be possible there are different qualities of Corroplast ? The material we’ve used and seen deteriorate was re-used from left over political signs ... some 4X8 sheets ... the pieces I have , stored on a shelf in my studio for 5 years now (no sun) , on some of the edges , crumbles like a cracker ... I just broke off a piece with no effort (see pic) ... Take that for what you will ... :thinking:
Attachments
coroplast.JPG
coroplast.JPG (226.14 KiB) Viewed 1390 times
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tundrwd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 4:34 pm

Not sure. There is finally a vendor in my town who sells it in various thicknesses (2-12mm) Sounds more like 4x10 sheet size in various colors (no painting!)

I need to call them up. I do know that a lot of hunting blinds are being sided in the stuff now too. My brother in law and I have talked for two years now about building a couple permanent blinds and siding with coroplast. (We are old enough now, 55+, that hanging in a tree like a monkey to hang stands in a tree is no longer appealing).

I've got a. Couple questions out to a couple websites that talk about using coroplast for various things, and I just need to call the local vendor to see what they say. I'm also concerned about waterproofing/sealing the joins. You can screw the coroplast on, but you've still got to seal the edges.

I just know that canvas has shot out of sight price-wise, both local and internet. There's really only one retail fabric store left now in my area, and duck canvas (weight unknown) is on sale for $6 a yard. Normally more like $8-9 a yard. I'll need roughly 4 9x12 tarps at $23+ each (the better stuff is more like $28+ each)! and that will be cheaper than the fabric store. Even ripstop nylon is in the same range. I guess I could go with sheets, but even those are expensive anymore. Online isn't a bunch better. I either have to get bolts to keep the price down, or you pay much more per yard. I haven't calculated yet, so not sure how many yards.

I know I can get the cheaper coroplast for $110 - for TEN 4x8 sheets. I'm sure thicker stuff will be more $$. But I only need about 5 sheets to go over the outside of the trailer. Leaves 5 more sheets for hunting blind material. $11 a sheet at that price. And other than sealing the screws and edges, no other coating or paint. So SEEMS much cheaper - if it works.
Tundrwd
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:19 pm

It would be a Good TEST eh !!!! Good Luck on that !!! :thumbsup: ... I’m sure we all want to know how that turns out ... :thinking:

Check Big Duck canvas ... They had good prices on really Nice canvas... I used 30 yards on the FS ... :frightened: But it was worth it !!! :D
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby Tundrwd » Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:23 pm

Did you use 6, 10, 12 or ?? ounce canvas?
Tundrwd
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Foamies