My new ultralight design

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

My new ultralight design

Postby levsmith » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:08 pm

Alright everyone,

Based off of the comments I received on my first "beta" plan, I have updated and am ready to share with you guys again and gain your thoughts and opinions on this one. Just in case you missed my last post, I am planning on building an ultralight teardrop to haul behind my Suzuki V-Strom 650. It will mostly be used to carry my black lab and sometimes to sleep in on overnight motorcycle rides. So I need something large enough to sleep in but small and light enough to be hauled with a 650cc motorcycle. The plan is to keep the trailer under 200lbs. With these plans, the program says it is 162lb's at the moment but that doesn't include any fiberglass or bedliner.
I do not have any ventilation in the plans yet other than the windows so if you have any opinions on something that would work, let me know. Basically I am looking for your opinions on if this plan is going to be strong enough. I had originally planned to use foam insulation and fiberglass the whole trailer inside and out, but talking to a collision repair buddy, he suggested bedliner instead of fiberglass to cut down on labor. Would bedliner be enough on the sides and top? I still plan on using fiberglass on the floor to help strengthen it since is it a minimal floor. Any and all opinions are welcome!

118982 Red color is 1-1/2" rigid foam insulation, surrounded by wooden frame with 2x2's on sides, 2x3's on front and back, and a 2x6 ripped to 4-1/2" wide running down the middle to bolt the suspension to
118983 Aluminum frame. tongue members are 1-1/2" square tubing 1/8" wall thickness
118985 The teardrop behind a very crude model of the 650 V-Strom, just to get an idea of the scale
levsmith
Teardrop Inspector

Re: My new ultralight design

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:58 pm

If I were your dog , I’d be worried .... :frightened:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby levsmith » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:14 pm

GPW wrote:If I were your dog , I’d be worried .... :frightened:

Why do you say that?
levsmith
Teardrop Inspector

Postby GPW » Sun Apr 13, 2014 3:05 pm

Lev, let’s just say we’ve seen some tragic events in the past involving dogs and vehicles (dogs being carried/transported) ... Question is , would you want your kid to ride there... ? :roll:
There’s no place like Foam !
GPW
Gold Donating Member

Postby levsmith » Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:01 pm

Of course I wouldn't put my kid in a trailer, although the amish around here do! :lol:
but its either I leave him at the dog sitters for a few days or take him with me. I think he would rather go for a ride with me than stay with the sitter. He loves to go for rides in the pickup and I cant imagine it would be any less fun for him in a trailer as long as there is a window for him to stick his head out of!
Last edited by levsmith on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
levsmith
Teardrop Inspector

Postby ghcoe » Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Here, read this post. viewtopic.php?f=55&t=50313&hilit=motorcycle

His came in at 180lbs and is similar to what you want to build. He based it on the Pico, but made it narrower. Could have some good ideas for you.
George.

Gorrilla Glue, Great Stuff and Gripper. The three G's of foamie construction.

My build viewtopic.php?t=54099
Working with flashing for foamie construction viewtopic.php?f=55&t=60303
Making a hot wire http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=55323
ghcoe
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby levsmith » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:35 am

ghcoe wrote:Here, read this post. viewtopic.php?f=55&t=50313&hilit=motorcycle

His came in at 180lbs and is similar to what you want to build. He based it on the Pico, but made it narrower. Could have some good ideas for you.

Thanks ghcoe! I like what he did alot and 180lb's is impressive with a steel frame! I'll have to check into the Pico.
levsmith
Teardrop Inspector

Postby levsmith » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:24 pm

Anybody have any comments, ideas or suggestions?
levsmith
Teardrop Inspector

Postby lthomas987 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:23 am

Sounds like a great project!

That said I haven't towed a dog in a motorcycle trailer. I have however towed a dog behind a bicycle (much lower speeds, no trailer suspension) but he doesn't seem to mind, mostly he sleeps in the trailers. (I just built a foamy for him to ride in this year instead of using a kennel on the cargo platform) The thing to keep in mind is that turning is different, and drop offs are different and what looks and feels fine to you on the bike, can be a lot bouncier on the dog in the back. The wheels are wider apart and the bump may be different. (On a bicycle the thing to be careful of is hitting the center of the curb cut where trails meet streets, because otherwise one wheel of the trailer drops off the curb)

I think the motorcycle trailer that the was linked above looks like a good starting place. I might consider some sort of removable divider for when you're sleeping in there versus when he's riding in there. Especially if you're moving fast or going over rough terrain. Also dogs ride in trailers all the time. Go to a field trial, or big hunting event or even just google hunting dog trailer. Look at some of those trailers for ideas about keeping your dog safe. They generally don't have a lot of room in there. So they can't get flopped around too much. Also they're very well ventilated to keep the dogs cool (but the vents can be closed down some to keep them from freezing in cold weather). There's a commercial solution of a motorcycle dog trailer http://www.doggonemotorcycletrailers.com/ too.

I towed a fair bit of cargo before I started with the dog. Consider putting a cooler or box of stuff in there that weighs about the same, tow it around. Check to see if you've spilled it. If you dump your cooler or box you're probably bouncing more than is comfortable for your dog.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby levsmith » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:08 pm

lthomas987 wrote:Sounds like a great project!

That said I haven't towed a dog in a motorcycle trailer. I have however towed a dog behind a bicycle (much lower speeds, no trailer suspension) but he doesn't seem to mind, mostly he sleeps in the trailers. (I just built a foamy for him to ride in this year instead of using a kennel on the cargo platform) The thing to keep in mind is that turning is different, and drop offs are different and what looks and feels fine to you on the bike, can be a lot bouncier on the dog in the back. The wheels are wider apart and the bump may be different. (On a bicycle the thing to be careful of is hitting the center of the curb cut where trails meet streets, because otherwise one wheel of the trailer drops off the curb)

I think the motorcycle trailer that the was linked above looks like a good starting place. I might consider some sort of removable divider for when you're sleeping in there versus when he's riding in there. Especially if you're moving fast or going over rough terrain. Also dogs ride in trailers all the time. Go to a field trial, or big hunting event or even just google hunting dog trailer. Look at some of those trailers for ideas about keeping your dog safe. They generally don't have a lot of room in there. So they can't get flopped around too much. Also they're very well ventilated to keep the dogs cool (but the vents can be closed down some to keep them from freezing in cold weather). There's a commercial solution of a motorcycle dog trailer http://www.doggonemotorcycletrailers.com/ too.

I towed a fair bit of cargo before I started with the dog. Consider putting a cooler or box of stuff in there that weighs about the same, tow it around. Check to see if you've spilled it. If you dump your cooler or box you're probably bouncing more than is comfortable for your dog.

Thanks Laura! I figure my lab will sleep in it as well once we get going. When we are in the pickup, he usually sits up and looks out the window for the first 15 minutes or so, then i guess he gets bored and lays down. Now if the windows are open, its a whole different story! He loves the wind in his face! I did check out your build thread. I like it, looks nice and simple, and most of all lightweight.

I will have to keep in mind that the handling will be different on the motorcycle. I will be towing it around town for a while before I haul the dog in it just to get then hang of it. I will have to remember the width of the trailer behind the bike. Don't want to be taking corners to sharp and running the trailer over the center line or off the other side of the road. I already bought some rubber torsion suspension axles for the trailer so hopefully that will cut down alot on the bumps and make it more comfortable for him. They are 500lb units, 250lbs per axle. With the dog, it should be about a 300lb load on the axles.

I like the idea of the removable divider. That would keep the area smaller so that he wouldn't be able to wander to the back of the trailer. The smaller area should be safer in the event something should happen. I didn't even think of the vents on the hunting dog trailers. That might be a good way to add some ventilation that can be shut off when not needed.

Thank you very much for the ideas Laura. I will keep them in mind when building.
levsmith
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Foamies