Mini hopper build

Canvas covered foamies (Thrifty Alternatives...)

Moderator: eaglesdare

Mini hopper build

Postby JThompson » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:12 pm

Hi all.. I've been lurking for a while (like a lot of people do and reading ALOT). I've wanted a teardrop for years, and found myself with time, cash, space and a partner in crime this spring.. SO I took the plunge and got a HF 4x8 foot trailer while they were on sale for $275. Himself built me a platform which, dispite my insistence it be 5x8, turned out to be 6x9 when I came home from work.. ( he wanted it wider then the tires.. :shock: its a mystery to me but it will hold a king sized futon mattress). the extra foot of length is split 6 inches fore and aft.
I 've decided on a Mini hopper style body. did some plotting and planning and it will work. After much searching I located a source for 2 inch pink stuff and have three sheets here ready to cut and glue into sides next week. after that comes the choice of building wooden structures for the galley or using a foam/luane composite. And then sitting on himself to make sure things dont get out of hand again :worship: .. photos will be happening soon..
* in here, some of my dreams become realities, and some of my realities become dreams* - Willy Wonka
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Mini hopper build

Postby Shar » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:32 pm

Welcome jthompson! I'm another newbie attempting a first trailer build. The folks on this forum are very helpful, and witty too! I'm sure you've noticed that already. :) The mini hopper looks like a perfect first design, nice and simple with no kerfing. Hope it goes well for you! I will look forward to hearing about your build.
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby Mary C » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:40 pm

Welcome TJ, Goodness I understand about wanting to buy while the trailers are on sale. I did too. you know we love lots of :pictures: :pictures: :pictures: and more pictures so go ahead and take em and we will have a great time seeing your progress. My little foamie has turned out larger than I wanted but that is ok , I am still working on it. I hope to get it finished soon. Maybe next year, then again in a month or two. who knows?? Good luck on your build!! If you need any help just ask, we all here will give you advise and ideas when you need it. I live on the opposite side of Ga from you, out I20, very near Alabama. Someday we can meet in the middle!!! :applause: A New Foamling!!!

Mary C. :lady:
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby bonnie » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:49 pm

Welcome! You won't regret the extra room for the two of you.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby JThompson » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:08 pm

We will Have to meet sometime Mary C. we travel back and forth along 20 to see family in Alabama all the time. And with luck, the economy not tanking and us finishing the house we'll be living north of Montgomery in 4 years.
* in here, some of my dreams become realities, and some of my realities become dreams* - Willy Wonka
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mary C » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:12 pm

JT I live at the last exit in GA. and 4 miles from the exit. I would be honored for ya'll to visit any time. P.M me any time and I will give you directions and my phone number. This weekend I am going camping, 25 miles from here. I hope to get to see you soon!!!

Mary C.
Mary C
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby atahoekid » Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:26 am

I love the hopper design and believe it or not, that's the design I started with when I designed the Road Foamie. As things began to morph it turned into what it did. My Road Foamie is built on a tent trailer frame and is almost 7 feet wide. The wife, dogs and I love all the extra space and since foam is so light there is not any penalty in weight. Can't wait to see your build.
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby JThompson » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:46 pm

I went and got paint to coat the underside of the platform. Found this nice gallon can of latex at wally's in the Miss Mixed rack. It had Christmas red all over it and the guy said " that's the color of the paint" Cool.. Red fine its on the down side right? well.................fast forward to the next day I open the can to start painting and its not Red.... its Mike from Monsters Inc Green... and its GLOW in the DARK at that :o ...There must be batteries hiding in the can somewhere to power this stuff, It hurts your eyes in sunlight. 8)

JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Shar » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:43 pm

Hilarious! And if you ever have to go under there to tighten a bolt or do a repair, you won't need a source of light!
Sheryl
If all these people did it, so can I.
My build thread: Hybrid Foamie in Southern Alberta
Shar
Teardrop Master

Postby S. Heisley » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:44 pm

JThompson wrote:I went and got paint to coat the underside of the platform. Found this nice gallon can of latex at wally's in the Miss Mixed rack. It had Christmas red all over it and the guy said " that's the color of the paint" Cool.. Red fine its on the down side right? well.................fast forward to the next day I open the can to start painting and its not Red.... its Mike from Monsters Inc Green... and its GLOW in the DARK at that :o ...There must be batteries hiding in the can somewhere to power this stuff, It hurts your eyes in sunlight. 8)

Oh, you're too funny! :rofl: :rofl2: :thumbsup: Good luck on the rest of your build.
By the way, I've yet to have anybody look under my trailer; so, I don't think you need to worry. HaHa!
S. Heisley
Super Lifetime Member

Postby JThompson » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:40 pm

the camper officially has a name as of tonight. Saving some of that insane green, and getting some road cone orange.. some reflective striping.. and the campers name will be... Hi Visibility :R
JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Postby bonnie » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:17 am

JThompson wrote:the camper officially has a name as of tonight. Saving some of that insane green, and getting some road cone orange.. some reflective striping.. and the campers name will be... Hi Visibility :R

:thumbsup: Well played.
Remember, the turtle won. :)
bonnie
Donating Member

Postby lthomas987 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 1:13 pm

JThompson wrote:I went and got paint to coat the underside of the platform. Found this nice gallon can of latex at wally's in the Miss Mixed rack. It had Christmas red all over it and the guy said " that's the color of the paint" Cool.. Red fine its on the down side right? well.................fast forward to the next day I open the can to start painting and its not Red.... its Mike from Monsters Inc Green... and its GLOW in the DARK at that :o ...There must be batteries hiding in the can somewhere to power this stuff, It hurts your eyes in sunlight. 8)

I was actually thinking of using nearly that exact green as an accent color. But not very much of it. I like the high visibility theme.
Laura
Bike-Drop a Micro-Foamy Build Journal http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59274
My first Superlegarra-ish Foamy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=59049
lthomas987
Donating Member

Postby atahoekid » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:30 am

Hi Visibility... I love it!!! When life gives you lemons.... HA!!! I have actually had someone look under my Road Foamie but I think they would have appreciated the Lime Green over the black that it is...
Mel

"Believe in your abilities... Remember amateurs built the ark, professionals built the Titanic"

"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffet

The Road Foamie Build Thread: viewtopic.php?t=45698
atahoekid
Platinum Donating Member

Postby JThompson » Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:52 pm

made some progress. tongue welded and made 2 feet longer. platform bolted to the frame and foam sheets cut and glued,

JThompson
Teardrop Advisor

Next

Return to Foamies